The nautilus, regent, or a true fit, which would you buy

TheQueenMother

DS outgrew his RA RFing and our usable seats are now only the 3 MAs. However, one MA will expire in February leaving us with 2 seat for 2 kids in 3 cars. I am planning to buy one seat now and another in February but do not know what to buy. Liddie will be 4 in Feb., weighs 35-37lbs, and has a 14inch torso. She is on the top harness height for her MA, but has quite a bit of room to grow there as well. I drive a Yukon Xl and a Ford Taurus. My older daughter outgrew the MA at 5.5 but I think Liddie is taller and will outgrow the seat at an earlier age and I want to keep her harnessed until that point (5.5 min).
I am a Britax fan, I like the alligator latch things, install is super easy and from a recent situation feel that they take care of their customers. Right now, I can't see using the Regent to the full 80lb harness capacity, but I do have a younger child who could go into the seat if I bought that. The drawback for me with the regent is the huge size. It is common for me to haul 6 kids and I need the seating space. However, I do not notice complaints from the kids who sit by the MA, so it might not be as large of an issue.
I like the reviews of the nautilus. I like the price. I am not crazy about the covers and hate to switch her from cute covers to plain grey ugliness. In some ways the nauti would be ideal as I could convert it to a booster when the time comes and she outgrows the harness or pass it down to the boy to use as a harnessed seat. I don't see the nauti as being wider than the MA, so I would not worry about losing the seating space that I might with the Regent.
Finally the True Fit. One BIG perk of the true fit would be the fact that it can be used as a RFing seat for DS. One thing I love about having all convertibles is that if my mom is picking up a kid, I just have to switch harness height and the spare seat is ready to install, meaning I do not have to undo the seats the kids are riding in when we get there. I like the Monet cover a lot. DD would like the cute cover as well and would not complain, which would be a perk.
If you needed to order 2 seats, which seats would you order?
Thanks
Amanda

ADS

Blondie87

K.. are you getting one seat as a spare and one for DD? Or one for DD and one for DS?

If you are getting one for each, I would say...

For your older DD I wouldn't get her the TF cuz she doesn't need to RF. I would get her a Madison Regent or a Mariposa Nautilus. Those are both fun and she'd prolly like them. :)

For DS, since he can RF, I'd definately get the TF. It'll last a long time RF! :)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd get a Frontier and a True Fit probably.

The Frontier has a 9 year lifespan so it could easily be handed down to a younger child.

Evolily

I'd get the nautilus- it'll literally be the last seat she'll need. Yeah, the covers are ugly (frankly I think the mariposa cover is the worst.... :whistle: ) but you can always decorate it with iron on patches. Plus Graco will hopefully come out with a cuter cover... sometime.

emandbri

I think a nautilus as well. I would wait until you absolutely need it just in case some covers come out. The nautilus elite is supposed to be out sometime in 2009 and we have only seen one of the covers, surely there will be others.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC