Infant Car Seat in 1981...

Blondie87

So we were at my in laws yesterday and we were looking through pictures and I found a few of my DH when he was in his infant car seat. He was born in Decemeber of 1981. My MIL said that it just had a strap that went between their legs and around their waist, looked like the ones in high chairs now. Then they buckled the seatbelt over the carseat. She said that they never got into an accident.. but still, that's crazy. I can't believe how far we have come!!

carseat2.jpg

He's a twin.. lol..
carseat4.jpg

carseat3.jpg

carseat1.jpg

I have a couple car seat pics of me from 1987.. the car seat looks pretty much the same...

ADS

monstah

That's crazy! I'll have to see if my mom can dig up pictures of my car seat, I was also born in Dec of 1981.

Blondie87

Here is my carseat in 87.. It's crazy how they didn't do anything different between 81 and 87. Or maybe my mom just bought an older carseat?

carseat5.jpg

NannyMom

Hmm...When I go to my parents' house on Thursday, I'll have to see if nay of our baby pics include a carseat :) I was a July 81 baby.

I have a pic of me in a seat like that and I was born in 82'...but I asked my mom about it(on the phone with her now) and she said that she just put it in the car(not seatbelt). :thumbsdown: Yup, she still doesnt' care about carseat saftey.
I also had a brown metal vinyl carseat when I was 6 months (FF).

canmom

It is amazing we are here to tell the stories (or hear them rather)... shocking! I think my mom said she had a seat for me but often she just held me :eek:

CarSeatPoncho

A few years ago, I happened to flip by "Raising Arizona" (1987) on cable. It jus happened to be the scene where John Goodman and Nicholas Cage were stealing the baby, and they were carrying him around in his infant seat. I gasped at how flimsy it looked! It definitely did not have a 5 pt harness... maybe a 3 pt.

IMDB won't let me copy and paste the pic, but here's a still of the baby and infant seat:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2515765760/tt0093822

classicseats

A few years ago, I happened to flip by "Raising Arizona" (1987) on cable. It jus happened to be the scene where John Goodman and Nicholas Cage were stealing the baby, and they were carrying him around in his infant seat. I gasped at how flimsy it looked! It definitely did not have a 5 pt harness... maybe a 3 pt.

IMDB won't let me copy and paste the pic, but here's a still of the baby and infant seat:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2515765760/tt0093822

Looks like a Cosco-Peterson to me?

classicseats

So we were at my in laws yesterday and we were looking through pictures and I found a few of my DH when he was in his infant car seat. He was born in Decemeber of 1981. My MIL said that it just had a strap that went between their legs and around their waist, looked like the ones in high chairs now. Then they buckled the seatbelt over the carseat. She said that they never got into an accident.. but still, that's crazy. I can't believe how far we have come!!

carseat2.jpg

He's a twin.. lol..
carseat4.jpg

carseat3.jpg

carseat1.jpg

I have a couple car seat pics of me from 1987.. the car seat looks pretty much the same...

If I'm right, that isn't even a car seat. I believe it's only a carrier?

Blondie87

I dunno but they used it as a carseat! lol I had the same one. But I haven't talked to my mom to ask her if it was my carseat, I just assumed.

classicseats

I dunno but they used it as a carseat! lol I had the same one. But I haven't talked to my mom to ask her if it was my carseat, I just assumed.

I believe I have one in the collection and all it has is a vinyl strap around the waist to hold the baby in!

Blondie87

I believe I have one in the collection and all it has is a vinyl strap around the waist to hold the baby in!

Yup. It just looks like the kind of straps high chairs have. There were some other car seat pics that showed it, not buckled but pokin out the side, but I forgot to grab them. So do you really think it's a carrier only? Good thing they were never in an accident!

classicseats

Yup. It just looks like the kind of straps high chairs have. There were some other car seat pics that showed it, not buckled but pokin out the side, but I forgot to grab them. So do you really think it's a carrier only? Good thing they were never in an accident!

Yep, it's got to be a carrier. I'll have to dig mine out to show you. I'm positive. I never posted it here because it wasn't a car seat.

ctbcleveland

Blondie - I know this is not your intent...but you are making many of us feel very OLD showing us baby pictures of you in 1987!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC