Best Infant Seat for Medically Fragile Infants?

Blondie87

So soon we will be taking in medically fragile infants. It could be up to 6 months from now, but I want to be prepared in case it is sooner. In a couple months I will be buying an infant seat and I want to find one that will work the best.

I could get just an average newborn, or I could get one that is medically fragile. Some are preemies, some are drug effected, some need breathing tubes or feeding tubes, etc. I would normally get one at 2 days old and have them for up to 1 or 2 years.

I do have 2 Boulevards and a True Fit. I am not sure if the True Fit will fit a preemie that well but I would probably prefer a bucket anyways.

I am assuming that the Chicco Keyfit would be the best to fit a preemie or small newborn. Should I get a Keyfit 30 or just a normal Keyfit? I know that the SS1 doesn't fit small babies great. Any other suggestions?

ADS

Blondie87

Do they even sell the regular Keyfits? I couldn't find any. And if the Keyfit 30 is my best option, where's the cheapest place to find one?

Oh.. and I just thought about it. I would need a carseat that would fit with a double stroller since I will have a toddler and a baby at all times. I don't have a double stroller right now, but I will get one soon. Does the Valco stroller fit the kefit at all? I know that you can take off the seat part and put the bar on so you can put an infant seat on there. I just don't know what infant seats it would fit. Ahhh.. so much to think about!

featherhead

I think the regular Keyfit is only sold in a travel system, but I'm not sure (since I live in Canada and we only have the regular Keyfit:rolleyes:). Anyway, I definitely think the Keyfit would be a good option. I just got mine a week or so ago, and I love it! I haven't actually put a little baby in it (gotta wait till April for that) but it looks like it would support a little baby very well. I think if I were you I would go with the Keyfit30, just so you have the option to use the infant seat longer. The seat is pretty much exactly the same, I'm pretty sure it's not any heavier or bigger.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I would go w/ the Keyfit, though there are some other premie seats out there. I just like this one b/c it installs so nicely and has the nice inserts etc.

Shaunam

The only advice I have is to be aware that infant seats may not work for babies with feeding tubes. DD's was placed right in a spot where the buckle on the infant seat hit it. All of the infant seats I looked at had longer crotch straps that placed the buckle higher up and brought the hip straps around the belly instead of the hips. She fit great in the EFTA and the buckle was nowhere near her tube. However, my friend used an infant seat with her baby with a feeding tube and never complained that it interfered, but then again, I never saw her in the seat so it's possible they just kept the straps loose (I have no idea how well she does the car seat thing :eek: ).

BW1426

I actually really like the Britax Companion for smaller babies and you can get the foam insert for low weight babies. IME the Companion also lasts quite awhile even though it only goes up to 22 lbs. You should be able to find a good deal as well since it is being discontinued. And, it has awesome SIP.

The Keyfit30 is the exact same size and everything as the regular Keyfit and I find it doubtful that as many babies will make it close to the max as will in the Safe Seat.

I'd be tempted to get a Companion and a Safe Seat later on if you decide you want a bucket that you can use longer. Safe Seats are pretty inexpensive, especially if you get one on swap :thumbsup:

Blondie87

So the Chicco Keyfit or the Britax Companion. Are either of those compatible with any of the double strollers that are out?

Pixels

Just thought I'd throw this one out, since Shauna mentioned the buckle placement for babies with feeding tubes. The BabyTrend has an adjustable crotch strap. Here it is on my DD at two days old (8 lbs, 19.75" at birth). Shauna could take a look at it and let you know if this one is low enough to be out of the way. It is a 22 pound seat though. It would definitely be compatible with at least the BabyTrend Sit n Stand stroller (I only have one DC so I haven't looked at double strollers, sorry I can't be more help).

Sorry I don't know how to make the pic smaller.

attachment.php

BW1426

So the Chicco Keyfit or the Britax Companion. Are either of those compatible with any of the double strollers that are out?

Double jogger or just any old double stroller? Side by side or one seat behind the other?

Bumbleride Twin Indie fits both Britax and Chicco http://www.strollers.com/Bumbleride-IT-108R-BV1153.html#ProdDetails

I'm not sure if you can use the Bumbleride Queen B with the toddler seat and a carseat at the same time.

Also check out the Valco and Chicco strollers. I don't know how Pegs do with other carseat brands.

IME more carseats fit in strollers than they might necessarily tell you. You really have to try them out to see if they fit in a way that you are comfortable with. I honestly didn't use the snap and go feature that much with the stroller. I didn't really like him being in the carseat that much, but that may be different if you end up with a medically fragile infant.

serabi

I loved my Britax Companion for my 24 weeker. My only complaint about it was that the chest clip is that old style paperclip style and I cannot STAND those. :eek:

ETA: she didn't have a feeding tube at the time, I don't know how it'd fit a baby with a g-tube. She's got one now but at 23lbs and 32" tall she's not fitting the Companion anymore for me to see ;)

I have a double stroller that I love too. My kids are 18 months apart and it works perfectly for me. It is the Kolcraft Contours Options Double It will fit both a Keyfit 30 and also a Britax Companion (plus the Graco infant seats, etc).

The pros of the Contour:
-you can turn the kids whichever way you want them to face - so if you want to be able to see both the baby and the toddler, you can turn the toddler to face you, too
-when they are bigger, you can have them both facing out, both facing in, both facing you, both facing away from you
-the seats recline
-the seats detach for storage or for putting in the back of your car
-HUGE basket, which you will need if you get a child on oxygen, pulse ox, or ventilator dependent.

The cons:
-the seat backs aren't very high so it isn't exactly going to be the kind of stroller your toddler is going to take a nap in, probably.
-This sucker is HEAVY and a PITA to fold up and down, up and down...

If you want, I can take pictures of my Companion and my kid(s) in the Contour later if that'd help.

Blondie87

That's the stroller I was talking about.. not the Valco... lol. So that fits the Chicco and the Companion? Yeah it'd be great if I can get some pics! I will have to go try that stroller out at Baby Depot. Does it turn and handle well? I love Graco double strollers. They are so easy to manuever.

serabi

That's the stroller I was talking about.. not the Valco... lol. So that fits the Chicco and the Companion? Yeah it'd be great if I can get some pics! I will have to go try that stroller out at Baby Depot. Does it turn and handle well? I love Graco double strollers. They are so easy to manuever.

It manages fairly easily. It definitely manages easier than my DuoGlider, that's for sure. It's just as long as a Duoglider though, it definitely is not a short stroller.

Both of my kids are asleep but tomorrow I will pull it out and the car seat out and snap some pictures for you :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

I'm actually going to throw out another option... the Safety 1st Onboard.

it starts at 4lbs, too...and fits small babies great (the blog had info on it from the abc expo and it was so cool)... it even has an adjustable length crotch strap!!

Blondie87

Dang.. Are we sure that the SS1 does not fit smaller babies? I really love the Graco Quattro Duo Stroller, I had one before and I loved everything about it. And the SS1 goes with it.. :(

I do love the Keyfit 30 though and since the Kolcraft stroller can fit one that would be nice. But I read alot of the reviews on it and my biggest concern is what kids would fit into it. I could have anywhere from a 0-3 year old, and all different sizes. I would want to be confident that most any child I get would fit in the stroller.. Otherwise it looks great...

mum2two

I had the Combi Connection and used it with my Combi Tandem Stroller, when DS was born he was on oxygen for 2 months, boy that second seat was useful for putting the o2 tank and oximeter! With a medically fragile infant you might not be doing too many activities with another child as they may not be able to be out in the "germy world" too much so maybe a double won't be the breaking point. I loved my connection infant seat though, the tandem stroller was fine, nice and narrow, very very light...hm...has me thinking though I probably don't need it anymore as DD is now 5 1/2 and too tall to sit in it.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The SS1 really is not a good fit if you are going to have preemies. You really need something not as big and something with more support. I have not seen the Onboard irl but have heard it fits preemies well.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I really love the Combi seats. They have great low bottom slots and the insert really hugs babies :)

rodentranger

FWIW, the Contour didn't fit in the back of my Pilot unless I had the 3rd row flat. I know you have the MDX, so I thought I'd throw that out there. I couldn't get a Sit n Stand in there either. The P&T Sport buggy with a double kit fits with the 40 side down to accommodate the wheels.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC