Andrea yates

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I dont want to start any debates on here about the case or anything but i saw on the news tonight some pictures the prosecutor was showing the jury on a large poster and it interested me to see her youngest was photographed in a 3 pnt infant seat with the harness tightened properly and the chest clip in the correct location. I dont know how much car seat safety was pushed in 2001 but its 2006 and ppl still cant get that much right, to me that stands out as a big sign she loved her baby, she took the time to read to manual and do it right to protect her and then she drowned her i just dont understand it.

ADS

urmysunshinex3

Senior Community Member
From what I have heard of the case she had the most SEVERE form of Postpartum depression. What she did to her children was a tragedy (and thats understating it), but I believe if she were truly of sound mind she never would have done such a thing. Sadly, I don't think we have learned enough from this. Postpartum depression still goes unrecognized too often.

Lynette~Mom to my 3 sunshine's

Lea_Ontario

This isn't a question of whether or not she loved her children - this woman was seriously ill.

Postpartum depression is one thing - postpartum psychosis is another, especially when left untreated and when she was left unattended with the children - when she had admitted on occasions prior to that day that she had had thoughts of harming the kids.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If I remember correctly....I think I heard that she wanted to take the medication to help herself, but she couldn't take it if she was breast feeding.

Her husband thought it was more important to breast feed and wouldn't let her take the meds.

If that's true---I think he needs to be held responsible for his actions that played a part in this.

Susan

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I had PPD after the birth of my son. It was pretty bad, and it went untreated, as I was afraid to say what was going through my head. I didn't want my kids taken from me, and honestly was convinced they would. Fortunately, for me and my children...I got through it on my own...but it took several months. It actually took me YEARS to ever admit it to ANYONE. Even my dh never knew.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Her DH *did* know, and didn't do anything about it, except things that made it worse. IMO, he should be on trial right along with her. He may not have killed them himself, but he "put the gun in her hands" so to speak.

Ali

Court TV just had a bit on this case. According to the report her doctor took her off her anti-psychotic meds 2 days before she drowned her children and told her to think "happy thoughts."

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
This case absolutely astounds me, i was too young to follow it when it happened but I've been reading about it recently and to be honest is scares me b/c i've suffer from depression since the age of 12 and am really worried about PPD.

I think her husband should be tried for negligence or something similar from what i've read he knew she had problems and knew she was told not to have anymore children but convinced her to have another and to me seems as if he ignored her problems and just followed the "if i ignore it and act as if everything is normal it will be" idea and failed her and their children.

If anyone wants to read a good article and time line about her lifeThis is a rather good one from about.com.

Lea_Ontario

PPD is very real and scary unto itself yes - but what Andrea Yates had went FAR beyong post-partum depression.

Post-partum psychosis is a beast unlike no other, and I sincerely hope that nobody I know - IRL, online, etc - ever finds out what it is like.

melaniev

i had a friend with PPP. I didn't understand it at all until we took our newborns out together to the local diner. i parked my car over a sewer drain and she became convinced that my car was going to fold up and go down the drain. she became extremely panicked by this. we finally had to leave. when we got home she started talking to the soap opera characters on tv. she was absolutely serious. it really scared me.

after that day she never spoke to me again because she became convinced that i harbored the devil's spirit, and she threw out all the baby gifts that I, my friends, and family had bought her. we were close; this was 10yrs ago and it still hurts.

after that she went downhill even further and left her fiance (the baby's father), and wouldn't allow him any contact with the baby. it took him almost a year in court to even see his child again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC