What is a good infant bucket for a SMALL back seat?

MustangMama

So.............I want a baby.

Gotta talk DH into it first buuuuuut.......the thing is I don't wanna get rid of my Mustang :crying:

So........what bucket seats are the smallest?

I tried a Graco Snugride and it fit okay but the front seat had to be all the way forward, no way someone would be able to safely sit in it.

Recommendations?

ADS

cpsaddict

The Chicco Keyfit works well in tiny backseats. It's deep, but shorter front to back than Graco infant seats. My friend has a Dodge Calibur, which is small and had the Snugride. Now she has the Keyfit. The Keyfit is a better fit in terms of front to back space.

skylinphoto

I have a baby trend flex loc that fits great in the back of my small car. :)
I don't know if it's the smallest or anything like that (i just haven't had much experience with just two kiddos). Just thought I'd throw that out there.

featherhead

The Chicco Keyfit works well in tiny backseats. It's deep, but shorter front to back than Graco infant seats. My friend has a Dodge Calibur, which is small and had the Snugride. Now she has the Keyfit. The Keyfit is a better fit in terms of front to back space.

Actually, in my vehicle the Keyfit does not fit behind my husband's seat, but the Snugride does. Then again, the Snugride was not at a 45 degree angle (it was as reclined as I could make it without a noodle) so if it was, maybe it would take up more room. I guess I'm not really sure.:eek:

MustangMama

Are any of those turning car seats any good? I think that may be a way to go for our small back seat.

Don't they only go up to 40lbs FF?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Are any of those turning car seats any good? I think that may be a way to go for our small back seat.

Don't they only go up to 40lbs FF?

The Combi Zeus Turn is the only turning seat that I'm aware of currently on the market, but the way it sits back on the turning mechanism makes it take up a lot of space, plus it only goes to 22# rfing. They are supposed to be coming out with a higher weight limit rfing but I'm not sure when.

MustangMama

OK.....one quick question.........on the True Fit, you can take the head rest off but how long can it be off? About what age? I know some kids grow at different rates but can anybody give me an average?

cpsaddict

You have to use the headrest on the True Fit after 22lbs. It really depends on the child, but usually 22lbs is anywhere from 10-15mths, I think.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have installed many seats in the back of Mustangs. We owned an '88 Hatchback ourselves for a long time with dd #1.

Your front passenger seat no matter what rf'ing seat you use is going to make it unusable. With the carrier you can at least use the front passenger seat when the carrier isn't in the vehicle. It only gets worse with the convertible seats esp with the new Mustangs because of the vehicle headrest design.

I haven't tried the TF but we had RA with our oldest and there was no way I can sit in the front seat with it in dh Mustang even with it very upright.

Not going to tell you to get rid of your car b/c I love my sports car too (just lucky mine is a 4dr sports car) but it's going to be tight.

Kat_Momof3

I think you are referring to the orbit seats...

and I don't know... the orbit infant seat could be a problem... it is no small thing.

the toddler seat isn't small, either... as it harnesses to 50lbs... but it also rfs to 35lbs...

I think the front seat would still have problems (I think they'd be easy to install rf... can't say on the toddler seat ff, though)

But the best way to know would be to find someone who owns a mustang and the orbit... or somewhere to try out an orbit seat.

pastrygirl

You have to use the headrest on the True Fit after 22lbs. It really depends on the child, but usually 22lbs is anywhere from 10-15mths, I think.
Unless you're my son, who was 22 pounds at around 4 months old... :whistle:

(Thankfully, he hovered around that weight for a year or more after that point.)

Pepse

dd also hit 22lbs at about 5 months and didnt stop until 10 months at 26 lbs but now at 16 months she is 28.2lbs

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think you are referring to the orbit seats...

and I don't know... the orbit infant seat could be a problem... it is no small thing.

the toddler seat isn't small, either... as it harnesses to 50lbs... but it also rfs to 35lbs...

I think the front seat would still have problems (I think they'd be easy to install rf... can't say on the toddler seat ff, though)

But the best way to know would be to find someone who owns a mustang and the orbit... or somewhere to try out an orbit seat.

Oh right. I forgot about the Orbit. Don't know why since I installed 3 of them last month. The Orbit infant seat is too big for the outboard seat of a Jetta, so I doubt it will work for you. The toddler seat takes up less room front to back, but can't be used from birth.

OK this is a total long shot, but maybe try an Evenflo Symphony. When I played around with it I found it took up less room than a snugride because of the way it sits on the base.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC