I went and looked at infant seats today

mominabigtruck

I actually got out of the house alone tonight and had to go to the target by bru so I figured I'd swing by and just be absolutely sure that the primo viaggo will work in the van.

The pv actually fits great in the van, but I also tried it baseless since that's probably how my mom would use it. Boy is it a pita:thumbsdown: The belt guides are so hard to get to and there is no way my mom would be able to figure it out:thumbsdown:

So, since I was there I figured I would try some other seats:D

I really, really like the maxi cosi mico, except for the seat release. It's not on the seat like every other seat on the market, its on the base and its a real pain to get to.

Then of course I had to try the ss1. It fits fine, no problems at all, its just really ugly. Yes, I know its vain but I've never found a cover from graco that I loved:eek: Plus, I tried it in the quattro tour duo, which its supposed to fit in but I'm sorry it doesn't.

So anyways, any thoughts?? Any other seats I should try? Am I crazy?

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
You could try one of the Combi seats. I like the Connection, but the release is on the base of it too, similar to the Mico. It's easy to get to in the van, but I think it would be a pita in a car because you'd have to reach down so low. Of course, I really want an SS1 now because Z is growing out of the Connection so fast. What about the KF?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Hmmm, I guess I think the Keyfits covers are fine, but then again, I'm just not picky when it comes to covers. Which seats have covers that you DO like? Maybe that would be the best way to narrow down your options. Maybe you should just get the PV and get an extra base for your mom to use.

mominabigtruck

I'm not loving the shuttle:(

It's not that I hate all ss1 patterns, its just the ones I like are the super high end ones that are really expensive or they only come in travel systems, which I don't need.

I do like the new pink keyfit, unfortunately that's not in my future:rolleyes:

cpsaddict

I'm not loving the shuttle:(

It's not that I hate all ss1 patterns, its just the ones I like are the super high end ones that are really expensive or they only come in travel systems, which I don't need.

I do like the new pink keyfit, unfortunately that's not in my future:rolleyes:

Isn't the Primo Viaggio far more than even the most expensive SS?:confused: I love the Safeseat, but not really any of the patterns. I'm getting the Jenny, which I like, but I don't love. I will agree that the Keyfit covers are hideous.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Personally, I can't stand the Peg, and unfortunately it's the majority of what I install.

Seatbelt installs can be tough, and they loosen easily. The buckle is a PITA. There's something else I hate about it, but I can't remember what right now.

I would go with a Keyfit just because it's so easy to install with LATCH or a seatbelt. Or the SS1 because I like lockoffs. But if you don't like those, it's really a matter of personal preference.

Pixels

Are you definitely wanting a 30-pound seat? I have the BabyTrend and love it. The release is a bit different from 95% of the rest of the seats on the market - it's at the baby's feet, on the seat itself. It's really not bad, I just grab the handle with one hand and the release with the other, and lift with two hands.

As far as covers go, different stores have different "exclusive" covers. You might want to look at their website for the patterns, and it will tell you where you can get which pattern.

mominabigtruck

The thing with the peg is that I found a really good deal online for last year's model, that's why I was looking at it. And I already have a 30lb infant seat so that's not an issue, my problem is is that I don't think that seat will fit a newborn well. Plus, the installation is really weird and I know my mom will never, ever figure it out.

I've never really like baby trend, just an imo thing, not that I've ever used one but I've heard that they're hard to install without latch and I don't have latch in any of my vehicles.

So here's my criteria since I know I'm being weird about this, I want something different. I don't want a neutral colored seat, I love the bright peg colors but it can't be all scratchy like the new sr32. It has to fit a newborn well since I already have a 30lb infant seat there's no point in getting one that doesn't. I have to be able to install it with a seatbelt since I'm not buying more then 1 extra base. And just a side thing, I would like it to fit on my quattro tour duo. When I tried the ss1 at bru it was so big I didn't see how anyone else could comfortably sit in the other seat.

I have to admit that I was really tempted by a ss1 at baby depot, just because it was marked down to $104. It was in portia though, which is gray:(

mominabigtruck

THe carseat in my avatar. It's a european chicco infant seat, not a keyfit. I have a friend that brings back kids from europe for surgeries and she gave it to me. It is a really nice seat, it is completely lined in eps foam and the straps are way thinner then a regular infant seat so it fits babies really well. Unfortunately it also has ten inch bottom slots and there's obviously no way for me to get an insert for it.

Pixels

I'd suggest trying out the BabyTrend seat, actually playing with it. I have installed in 10 different vehicles and two airplanes, with and without the base, with and without latch. I have never had a problem with any of them except DH's car needs a noodle, and I can't install center seat in mine due to a hump which interferes with every carseat I've ever tried there except for the RN (go figure).

Let's see if I can remember what I've done: 2002 Civic (latch, seatbelt, baseless), 99 Grand Am (seatbelt, baseless), 07 Fit (latch, seatbelt, baseless), late model CR-V (baseless), 05? Taurus (latch), 07? F350 (seatbelt, baseless), whatever my aunt drives, it's pre-latch (seatbelt), rental 7-passenger SUV (Toyota Matrix??) (latch, seatbelt, baseless), 08 Mazda rental sedan(latch, seatbelt), late 90s Caravan (seatbelt, baseless).

Anyway take a look at the BabyTrend if you've never played with it. I love the no-rethread harness and how easy it is to install. The base has a built-in recline adjuster which helps it fit different vehicles nicely without needing a noodle, which is great when we are traveling to not have to worry about it. (DH has the latch-loc base in his car, and super sloped seats, which is why he needs the noodle.)

skylinphoto

I'd suggest trying out the BabyTrend seat, actually playing with it. I have installed in 10 different vehicles and two airplanes, with and without the base, with and without latch. I have never had a problem with any of them except DH's car needs a noodle, and I can't install center seat in mine due to a hump which interferes with every carseat I've ever tried there except for the RN (go figure).

Let's see if I can remember what I've done: 2002 Civic (latch, seatbelt, baseless), 99 Grand Am (seatbelt, baseless), 07 Fit (latch, seatbelt, baseless), late model CR-V (baseless), 05? Taurus (latch), 07? F350 (seatbelt, baseless), whatever my aunt drives, it's pre-latch (seatbelt), rental 7-passenger SUV (Toyota Matrix??) (latch, seatbelt, baseless), 08 Mazda rental sedan(latch, seatbelt), late 90s Caravan (seatbelt, baseless).

Anyway take a look at the BabyTrend if you've never played with it. I love the no-rethread harness and how easy it is to install. The base has a built-in recline adjuster which helps it fit different vehicles nicely without needing a noodle, which is great when we are traveling to not have to worry about it. (DH has the latch-loc base in his car, and super sloped seats, which is why he needs the noodle.)

I agree to take a look at the babytrend flex loc if you haven't actually played with it. It's a nice seat. I don't have latch either and it installs perfectly with and without the base with a seatbelt only.
Also, they have some AWESOME looking patterns coming out.

NicoleP

I have the peg perego primo viaggio in the green bubble and I LOVE IT! I actually bought a 2nd base of craigslist for 25.00 and it was nearly new.

I have not used the seat without a base and honestly I would not. I know its safe to use without the base BUT *I* feel safer with the base locked in. I know it is in properly. I know when my husband takes our son he is locked in properly and we just got a 3rd base for my moms car and again I know he is in properly and my mom doesnt have to stress about it. It is nice knowing he is safe all the time.

That is just my opinion. I do love the Peg though :) It is heavier than I would like but its nice.

Lara

If you can get another base, I'd go with the 30/30. We have friends with one, and they love it! Their baby does too, she looks so comfy in it.

What about the companion? Or waiting for the new britax infant seat to come out early next year? (I don't remember when you are due, so if that would be pushing it time wise then ignore that idea!)

Kat_Momof3

did you look at the first years infant seat?

Mia Moda Viva?? since they are phasing it out for the new one... forget if it has a different name...

you can find it in this pattern for only 60 dollars
http://www.lullabylane.com/jump.jsp?itemID=8107&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=VIVA+INFANT+CARSEAT

or this one for 74.99 (free shipping... not sure about the one above)
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....dium=cpc&utm_campaign=MM5050ADR&sku=MM5050ADR

and there are other patterns. I really like this seat, myself.

mominabigtruck

Mia Moda Viva?? since they are phasing it out for the new one... forget if it has a different name...

you can find it in this pattern for only 60 dollars
http://www.lullabylane.com/jump.jsp?itemID=8107&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=VIVA+INFANT+CARSEAT

or this one for 74.99 (free shipping... not sure about the one above)
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....dium=cpc&utm_campaign=MM5050ADR&sku=MM5050ADR

and there are other patterns. I really like this seat, myself.

Have you seen it IRL? I looked at it on their website but it doesn't say anything about whether or not it has eps foam? Also, what's the fabric like?

I did think the red and black was pretty;)

Kat_Momof3

You know... when I saw it at USA Baby, I didn't pull back the cover.

I actually liked it... I mean, it seemed comparable to the typical 100 dollar offering... at the time, though, most of those were still rear adjusts... Graco has fixed that, and eps foam (I think) is standard for them now, which it wasn't when this seat first came out.

When I took it off the base, it was SOOO much lighter than the Snugride... that was the first thing I really liked about it (other than the cover prints being more solid and less busy)

the harness pull isn't butter smooth like a keyfit or the Nautilus, but it seemed fine... not as bad as the maxi cosi mico can be when it wants to.

There wasn't much in the way of padding, but that is why I compare it to the 100 dollar range snugrides, which are basically a cover on a shell.

I just googled to check... it says the viva is lined with eps foam!

I did like the base... the leveler was easy to adjust and I liked the green indicating proper handle position. I've never had an infant seat where you could leave the handle up, anyway, so having one that can is not a factor for me.

The harness pads seemed a bit long for younger babies, but that is a theme with infant seats in my experience.

The shell (didn't have a tape measure) seemed to be taller than the snugride, more similar to the combis... though maybe not quite as long.

for the full price, though, I'm not sure I'd get it, unless you just want a really lightweight infant seat, simply because I can find the Safety 1st Onboard, which at least LOOKS more padded and has the features of fitting 4lb minimum and has an adjustable crotch strap... for the same price (Overstock.com has the Onboard for 99.99)

now for the two deals posted above, it's probably what I'd go with.... but since no one on here owns one... I think I'd be heading to USA baby to try it out first.

the buckle is similar to the combis and baby trend in it's more european design... don't remember if it was a puzzle buckle, though.

I could go back to USA baby after the kids go back to school after the new year and do a more thorough investigation...

Oh... the other reason I liked it... it's VERY narrow on the outside, but seemed a little wider than the combi on the inside (again... would need tape measure to have been with me... but it was a total spontaneous trip and I had Ruthie with me along with a friend and her baby, who we were shopping for) The base is narrow, too. If it would install easily (which I have no idea on), I imagine it would be a good one for 3-across.

the combi was lighter still, but more pricey, even when the mia moda was regular price.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC