Please Honest ANSWERS......Scenera..

I have a scenera. I grabbed one when we were very low on money to RF my 26 month old(before I knew better he was in a chase FF that was almost expired).
Anyways.. I use it often for daycare kiddos. Well, I haven't used that seat since daycare kid left in October(mom is on maternity leave)-well, he is coming back in January/febuary(mom is still deciding when). She is a britax person and cares about carseat saftey.

So, anyways... Do you feel like a child is 100% safe in a scenera. I have no problem with the scenera. Easy to install(FF), Love how it is nice for 3-across in my van.

I am just feeling guilty all my seats have EPS foam(even my chase) and this one doesn't. No one complains though. But, still.....

He was about 1/2 inch/inch left to outgrowing it in october(I know he is on the top slots of his marathon with TONS of room to grow).

I forget does the Uptown or Avenue have taller Slots? It should still fit nice right in my 3-across?

I am going to keep the scenera regardless, just because it is a nice cheap seat.

But.... I am really concerned lately with the lack of EPS foam.

What do you think for a daycare situation??? It will eventually be used by one of the daycare babies.....

ADS

Maedze

i think it's up to the mom to provide you with the appropriate seat :twocents:

how old big is he? why can't his mom make sure you have a proper seat?

minismom

I think it's a fine seat and very safe. However, I woudn't put my own kid in it unless I couldn't afford anything else cause I think there's a benefit to having the foam and it's worth the $ if you can afford it. That being said I don't think it's your obligation as a DCMom to provide the finest seats available and as a mom I wouldn't expect you to. I would tell the mom this is the seat you have and if she wants to she can provide you with a different seat. :twocents:

TXAggieTech

On son rode in Sceneras part of the time before he got too tall this past year. As long as they don't have the cut outs or sit to wear the head does not line up with the cut outs I am okay with using one.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have a scenera and have always felt fine when ds rides in it. The seat is safe. It passes all the same testing as other seats. He is likely safer in the scenera than the large majority of children out there since most kids seats are installed and/or used incorrectly.

I would guess he will be outgrowing it soon, though, if he is on the top slots of the MA. My ds is right on the edge of outgrowing and it and wavering between the top slots on his MA and the slots below.

christineka

I feel that my dd is safe in her properly used scenera.

If you are looking to buy a new seat, the avenue has 16 inch top slots and the shell hight is an inch taller than the scenera's. It also has an 8 year lifespan in case you plan to do daycare for a long time.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I used the Scenera for my daycare kids, too . . . I also used it to give DD an extra 2 pounds worth of RF'ing.... I did wish it had EPS/EPP foam, but never to the point that I thought the seat unsafe or otherwise unworthy -- kids have survived some pretty intense looking crashes in correctly used Sceneras :thumbsup: (kids have also not survived milder crashes with incorrectly used "high end" seats :thumbsdown:) Fancy enhancements are only worth troubling over if you can afford them. If you can't then rest assured that correct use is all you need to concern yourself with :eek::love:

U

Unregistered1

I prefer a seat with EPS. That said, I have a spare Cosco HBB in my trunk for the next time I run into someone who needs one (it was originally for a neighbor but she got a seat). I would buy a scenera to use as a spare. If I was transporting a child regularly and could afford it though, I would PREFER using something with EPS. That said, I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT feel that the scenera is inherently unsafe. That's what we give out at seat checks. It's what I would buy someone who was financially unable to afford a seat and I wanted to get them one. It's what I recommended to a coworker who is struggling to put food on the table. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Andie

I have a scenera and have always felt fine when ds rides in it. The seat is safe. It passes all the same testing as other seats. He is likely safer in the scenera than the large majority of children out there since most kids seats are installed and/or used incorrectly.

:yeahthat:

We love our Scenera. I never felt that my child was less safe when he was in it.

If you are looking to buy a new seat, the avenue has 16 inch top slots and the shell hight is an inch taller than the scenera's. It also has an 8 year lifespan in case you plan to do daycare for a long time.

We just got a new to us Uptown. I measured the shell on both seats, the Scenera is 23", and the Uptown is 24", IIRC. BUT, the bottom slot on the Scenera is 7", while the Uptown is 9", so for smaller kids or newborns, it wouldn't fit as well, IMO. I was also told that the Uptown/Avenue is comparable to the Marathon in shell and top slot heights.

NannyMom

My DD has many many seats. She's 2 years old and RF. She has a scenera in grandma's car, and a scenera as a back up seat (which I also used for my friend's DD once a week). If I didn't think it was safe, I wouldn't use it, period. However, I do prefer to use a seat with EPS foam as her main seat.

If the Mom of the daycare child wants a "better" seat used, she should provide you with one.

If the Scenera is all I can afford, I'd use it as an everyday seat (and often suggest it to other parents).

NannyMom

I feel that my dd is safe in her properly used scenera.

I thought the Avenue was the same as Uptown. Does Uptown have an 8 year lifespan as well? FOr some reason I thought it was 7.

christineka

I thought the Avenue and Uptown were nearly the same. I get 10 inches for the bottom slot, though. I sat my dd in both the avenue and the marathon and she had the same amount of room above her head in both.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
If the Mom of the daycare child wants a "better" seat used, she should provide you with one.

If the Scenera is all I can afford, I'd use it as an everyday seat (and often suggest it to other parents).

I agree with that. When I was doing daycare I used a Scenera as a spare. I was fine with it and thought the kids who rode in it were perfectly safe. My own kids did ride in it occasionally too, like if I had an over 40 lb daycare kid, he/she would ride in DS's BV and DS would ride in the Scenera (when he was still under 40 lbs). I sort of had some guilt sometimes with the thought that my own kids were in Britax & Recaro seats and the daycare kids were in Dorel seats, but the parents didn't care enough to know the difference anyway. When I did ask one parent to provide a seat, he brought one that was missing a piece and had the straps TIED together in back. :eek: Yeah, a Scenera is DEFINITELY better than that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm very likely going to use my Scenera next week when we have family in town and I have to get the three kids in the back of the van... I actually like it better FF than the Radian... I haven't decided yet, but I'm not concerned about any lack of safety, really (The same basic seat, as the Touriva, has been on the market for over 10 years now and the notches in the shell have been the only safety issue for a tiny fraction of the millions of kids who have ridden in it, so I suspect the seat is really quite safe...mine has no notches, fortunately).

:)

mominabigtruck

Wouldn't own one, period.

Do I think they're safe? Sure

Do I think they're better then nothing or an expired piece of crap? Yep

Do I think its as safe as a seat as other seats? Nope

I don't have anything against cosco/djg but when you buy cheap you get cheap. I personally don't want my kids' head smacking against a think piece of plastic in an accident:twocents:

NannyMom

I sort of had some guilt sometimes with the thought that my own kids were in Britax & Recaro seats and the daycare kids were in Dorel seats, but the parents didn't care enough to know the difference anyway.

I have that same guilt when I put my friend's DD in the Scenera next to Sofi's Marathon. But...with her Mom she's FF and with me she's RF....so she's deffinetly safer in my car I reason :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just loaned out my Scenera to get a kid RF in a car where the 3-in-1 he was in wouldn't fit RF in our setup. I feel he is way safer in a seat with no EPS/EPP RF, than FF in one with (he's 18 months old.) I do feel that a seat with EPS/EPP is safER than the Scenera-- but the Scenera is a safe seat, that works because of its size, cost, etc. in situations where often other seats won't, and can keep kids RF who might otherwise not be. So I'm fine using it when I have to.

I provide all my seats(I just feel better about that, and what if I broke someone else's seat)......she doesn't care that he is in a scenera at all..... it is me who is worried about the lack of EPS foam!
I wouldnt' need it for small babies as I have a Safeseat and I will be getting a snugride sometime this year from my cousin(who I bought 2 snugrides for her twins)...the daycare mom is bringing the snugride(and a base for me) for the 3 month old.

Stretchy Glue

I buy Sceneras for all of my friends/family as a baby shower gift. I like the seat because it's easy to use. I have no qualms what so ever about using one in my car, or giving one to anyone as a gift.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC