kids playing with seatbelts

christineka

locking clip and locking the belt?

My dd was playing with her shoulder belt in the car awhile back. I switched her to the middle lap belt so she couldn't do it. Now because ds is in a thinner seat, I was thinking it might be nicer to give booster dd some more room to buckle and switch the little ones' seats around. I install the rfing seats with locking clips in order to not have super tilty seats, so the shoulder belt is not locked. When dd played with her belt she would lock it. When we were in a hurry, I admit that I didn't take the time to uninstall and reinstall. I don't think the belt is long enough that my rfing child could get the belt around her neck, so not worrying about that- just the locking of the belt. Is there anything I can do to keep dd from doing this? Or is the lap-only belt the best place to put her? I suppose I could give it another try (it must have been 6 months since I switched the seats) and if she plays with the belt again, switch her back...

Last edited:
ADS

skaterbabs

What kind of seat is she using now? How old is she?

Playing with the seatbelts is very dangerous, but she should not be using just a lap belt.

christineka

She's in a rfing scenera, installed with the lap belt:) I guess I should have mentioned that the three on that bench are rfing tribute, rfing scenera, and one in a vivo. It is 4 year old dd who played with the seatbelt when she was 3.5 and on the side, installed with a shoulder belt. She'd get her foot in the seatbelt, pull it up to her hands, and then I think it got locked??? I wonder, if I gave her the avenue if she wouldn't be able to do it. The sides are deeper and she looks less crunched in it.

itzmeigh

You can lock the belt. Even if you are using LATCH you can buckle the belt (not through the belt path but just across the seat.) And then buckle it and lock the belt. You can also lock the belt while using a locking clip.

My toddler did the same thing and it would drive me NUTS!

christineka

Are you sure I can lock the belt with the locking clip? I thought that was not allowed! Please, someone else chime in! That would solve the problem completely.

christineka

The switchable retractors make the rear-facing seats very tippy and they tip more as time goes on. The kids don't like it. I've even posted pictures on here before and was told they would not be comfortable with such a sideways install. The locking clip fixes the tipping problem completely.

Here's a pic of a seat installed with the locked belt.

bcrooked.jpg

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The switchable retractors make the rear-facing seats very tippy and they tip more as time goes on.

Aha ... what is the vehicle year/make/model? Perhaps you've already tried LATCH? Have you shared the issue with a local CPST? :confused: I've had this issue myself, but rarely to that degree -- I chose to simply reinstall when needed rather than use the locking clip.

christineka

It's a 1997 Ford Aerostar. No Latch.

I did go out and try with the seatbelt alone. It wasn't as bad as the old picture. (The last time I installed with the locked belt.)
lockedbelt.jpg

Here's with the locking clip.
lockingclip-1.jpg

The locking clip made the seat seem very secure. It wasn't going anywhere. With the locked belt the seat could tip more.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh, ugh, that vehicle is just plain difficult :eek:

Nevertheless, when I've faced a similar situation & had to use a locking clip on an ALR belt with an RF child, I have made the parental decision to engage the belt . . . there's no clear cut answer as to whether it's recommended or not: I just read the manuals again with the parents & tell them we don't have comprehensive enough info to fully understand the risks of using both locking clip + ALR, but we do have a recommendation warning to prevent strangulation by locking the shoulder belt so it's really your choice.... Regardless, the locking clip could potentially become a projectile either way (which is primarily why we hope to use the vehicle's locking systems instead)

If the seat works in the center, why not keep it there? Then you'd have a free lap/shoulder belt for someone else rather than a lap only belt :thumbsup:

christineka

If the seat works in the center, why not keep it there? Then you'd have a free lap/shoulder belt for someone else rather than a lap only belt :thumbsup:

I have two rear-facing seats next to each other. One gets the lap belt and the other the shoulder belt. It works out this way because, the nautilus is in the second row and the tether is under the third bench. My big kids do not like straddling tether straps. Nor do they like to climb over or crawl under seats. Anyway, I currently only have one lap-only belt anyway.

Ds' seat is thinner and I thought older dd would be able to buckle easier. We'll see today whether it is any easier. Ds is too short to reach the seatbelt.

I will be so happy when we finally buy our sienna! Which reminds me... I was going to call the toyota dealer having a sale this weekend to see what they are selling 8 passenger siennas for.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Unless I misunderstood (completely possible), it's the 4-year-old playing with the seatbelt? If so, I would use some punishment/rewards to get her to stop, barring any developmental issues. (And is the 4-year-old RF and playing with her seatbelt, or with someone else's?) I think maybe I'm confused.

christineka

Yes, this is the 4 year old. Feel free to suggest some punishments or rewards. I can always try, but this is the child who is now wearing diapers. She is not the most well behaved, despite how cute she may be. She takes after her biggest sister too much. Ah, if they were all like dd#2 I'd have a well behaved, helpful household of kids.

I drove around with the car seats switched around today. So far, she didn't touch the seatbelt, although she fell asleep on the way home...

Does she have any developmental delays at all? If not...Honestly, I think 4 year old is way too old to be acting like this after you telling her NO!
I dunno though...and I have some CRAZY Daycare kids ;-)!

And for the diaper issue, if there are no delays I would honestly let her wet/poop herself and make her clean it up herself.... I have done this a few times to daycare kids(yes their parents know) and it works like a charm. Hope that helps some!

I would just tell her if she doesn't stop, you will start taking away her favorite toys....That always works with my kids. What about taking away any favorite movies, favorite snack..friends coming over to play?

Hope this helps!!!

christineka

I would just tell her if she doesn't stop, you will start taking away her favorite toys....That always works with my kids. What about taking away any favorite movies, favorite snack..friends coming over to play?

Hope this helps!!!

She has no friends. She is only a just turned 4 year old. She doesn't go to daycare, preschool, or any activity. Just church and the kids don't have much social time.

She has no favorite toys. She really could care less. She enjoys playing with her hands.

She doesn't get to watch kiddie movies and hasn't a favorite. I'm anti snack, unless there is a reason to be hungry (as in late meal, or not enough food at home for the one previously as happens before shopping day on occasion.) Perhaps this is why disciplining this kid doesn't work well.

I've been giving the kids extra chores when naughty. 4 year old is only great at cleaning the sink (she loves to play with water). I have spent the past year letting her pee all over and then she has to attempt cleaning up. Then, I still have to clean up myself. I went with the diapers so I didn't have to clean up.

I will admit to being a lazy mom. I'd rather not spend my day with a timer and personally taking the child to the bathroom. (She has been known to be told, then act like she was on her way, but then do something else out of sight.)

I don't see the child as being developmentally delayed. I know she doesn't have autism. Perhaps she is just the victim of being number 4 child and having an aspie big sister to look up to and emulate. (5 year old ds just adores his defiant, mischievous, and lazy sister. She gets to have all the fun, you know.) In some ways I am glad oldest dd was the first (me dealing with her), in other ways I wish she was the youngest (so she wouldn't be looked up to.)

I suppose I may be able to just assign more extra chores than usual. My house sure needs it.

BW1426

I don't know if I'm alone in this feeling, but I'm not feeling comfortable with her maturity level to be in a booster yet.

christineka

I don't know if I'm alone in this feeling, but I'm not feeling comfortable with her maturity level to be in a booster yet.

She is in a rear-facing scenera! She gets the belt with her foot and brings it up to play with. This kid is teeny weeny and won't be in a booster for another 3 years. Perhaps I should just forward face her! I wish a true fit was both in my budget and would fit my 3 across. The kid has a tiny torso, but her legs are of decent length, as you would expect of a 4 year old.

I have 5 kids. Only the 9 and 7 year olds are in boosters. They don't play with the belts. Or, at least now that 9 year old is in front (as in, in front of her siblings- in the middle row- not the front, front) and can't play with anyone's belt. (She won't play with her own.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think locking it is a good choice in your situation.

I have some extremely strong-willed kids myself and I know there are some battles that you can't win, and some you can, but only at a cost that literally makes the whole family miserable for months.

BW1426

She is in a rear-facing scenera! She gets the belt with her foot and brings it up to play with. This kid is teeny weeny and won't be in a booster for another 3 years. Perhaps I should just forward face her! I wish a true fit was both in my budget and would fit my 3 across. The kid has a tiny torso, but her legs are of decent length, as you would expect of a 4 year old.

I have 5 kids. Only the 9 and 7 year olds are in boosters. They don't play with the belts. Or, at least now that 9 year old is in front (as in, in front of her siblings- in the middle row- not the front, front) and can't play with anyone's belt. (She won't play with her own.)

Oh man, I'm sorry. I was totally picturing the wrong scenario. I totally envy that she is small enough to RF at 4. I'm sorry that I misunderstood.

I thought the 4 yo was messing with the seatbelt of the rfing seat that another child was in. But, whew, I think I've got it now :eek:

Howe much does she weigh?

She has no friends. She is only a just turned 4 year old. She doesn't go to daycare, preschool, or any activity. Just church and the kids don't have much social time.

She has no favorite toys. She really could care less. She enjoys playing with her hands.

She doesn't get to watch kiddie movies and hasn't a favorite. I'm anti snack, unless there is a reason to be hungry (as in late meal, or not enough food at home for the one previously as happens before shopping day on occasion.) Perhaps this is why disciplining this kid doesn't work well.

I've been giving the kids extra chores when naughty. 4 year old is only great at cleaning the sink (she loves to play with water). I have spent the past year letting her pee all over and then she has to attempt cleaning up. Then, I still have to clean up myself. I went with the diapers so I didn't have to clean up.

I will admit to being a lazy mom. I'd rather not spend my day with a timer and personally taking the child to the bathroom. (She has been known to be told, then act like she was on her way, but then do something else out of sight.)

I don't see the child as being developmentally delayed. I know she doesn't have autism. Perhaps she is just the victim of being number 4 child and having an aspie big sister to look up to and emulate. (5 year old ds just adores his defiant, mischievous, and lazy sister. She gets to have all the fun, you know.) In some ways I am glad oldest dd was the first (me dealing with her), in other ways I wish she was the youngest (so she wouldn't be looked up to.)

I suppose I may be able to just assign more extra chores than usual. My house sure needs it.

Ok, if I sounded rude in anyway i am sorry. I just read my post and I sounded rude. I totally didn't mean it that way.

Ok, I grew up with the chore thing and honestly it did nothing. Sounds like she is very strong willed! My 3 year old niece is like this as well. She just turned 3 though. My sister also is a tad bit lazier with her than the other 2...Not sure if that is why....(not saying this is you).

Hum...what about rewarding her with a special movie or special snack then? Since she never gets them?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC