Using latch after an accident.

remken

I've read here where some would be ok with continuing to use latch if their car is in a wreck as long as it wasn't considered totaled.

I'm wondering though if you would still keep on using latch if you had a car seat installed with latch and you get in an accident and the car sustains frame damage from accident but isn't considered totaled. Would you still be ok with using latch?

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
If my DH inspected it really well (we have a auto body shop) and said it was fine, I probably still would use it. He would not put DD in harms way. That being aid I don't usually use the lower anchors anyway. I prefer seatbelt installs.

Pixels

Personally, if the lower anchors had been in use during the accident, and it was anything more than a MINOR accident, I wouldn't. Why take the chance, or even worry about it, if the seatbelt is right there? :twocents:

remken

I wouldn't.:twocents:

Thanks I figured I shouldn't risk it, but wanted to ask and get opinions though.

Lisa I prefer using the seat belt usually also, and I do have his frontier installed LBP on the passenger side, but I wanted to put it in the middle and I can't get a tight enough install with the seatbelt in that position whether I use the SBP or LBP. I've never tried installing this seat with latch though either so I don't even know how'd it install using it.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks I figured I shouldn't risk it, but wanted to ask and get opinions though.

Lisa I prefer using the seat belt usually also, and I do have his frontier installed LBP on the passenger side, but I wanted to put it in the middle and I can't get a tight enough install with the seatbelt in that position whether I use the SBP or LBP. I've never tried installing this seat with latch though either so I don't even know how'd it install using it.

I was not able to get a good install with the Frontier using the lap/shoulder belt, LB or SB either. I was able to get a rock solid install using LATCH. I figured I would eventually have to use the seatbelt, so opted to sell the Frontier. It now has a new home with Rebekah.

remken

Its in rock solid with LBP in my car on the passenger side, which it will stay now.
I was hoping to put it in the middle right now though during the winter though so all I had to do was just make Remy hop in the car then all I would have to is get in my seat turn around and hook him up from the front. Not a big deal though especially since my car isn't going anywhere right now since there is to much snow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC