Question about Car Seats in Mini Vans

R

rikley

We have to buy a mini van but alot of the ones we have looked at have bucket seats in the back. Are these safe for car seats?

I cant find any information regarding the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 car seat or the Chevy Montana mini van. Anybody have one or have info on one?

Last edited:
ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Bucket seats are fine for carseats. In fact, some people PREFER them because they say it makes installing certain carseats even easier.

You do need to check, however, that the car you are purchasing and the carseats you are using are compatible. Not all seats will fit in all cars.

CheckCarseat Database to see if there are any entries for your carseats and your car.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You can view crash test results for various minivans (and other vehicles) on these two websites:
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
NHTSA SaferCar

Not every seat fits in every vehicle. You want to ensure that your seat fits your vehicle, fits your child, and will be used properly every single trip. Sometimes, the only way to determine if a seat works is to try it out. Most car sales places will allow you to install your seat in the vehicle before you buy.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I wanted bucket seats in the back, but after the carseat check I did on Sat w/ triplets and their baby brother, I'm glad I have my bench! :) They are both safe though. Though I'm not sure 3 2yos in my van would be any easier.

my3girls

I think it's easier to install seats alone than side by side. I also prefer to have my 28 month old and 3.5 year old separated so they don't bother each other constantly!! When my van needed some repairs that took about a week, we had their seats together in my dh Camry and I hated the way they wouldn't leave each other alone!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do you already have the EB 3-in-1? If not, there may be more versatile seats at which you may want to look. If you already own that seat, take a look at the compatibility database (link is above) to see if anyone has any data on it fitting in the car you want.

Kellyr2

Yep, I have a bench in the middle and would prefer the captains seats back there. With them, both seats are a bit away from the door, whereas with a bench, the outboard position is just a couple inches from the side. Plus, I can barely fit my hands down between the two carseats to deal with the buckling when installing - so I agree that it would be easier to get the seats installed on single seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC