Question My Story and a big thanks, small question too!

D

De_lady

First, I have been reading old post and I have learned SO much. Thanks!

Well, to start it all off, I was in a bad winter accident in my 98' Caravan almost 2 years ago. A guy lost control of his SUV on the slippery roads and spun into my lane. I t-boned him head on at 45 mile an hour. My then 5 year old was in the back seat. Luckily my sister in law was watching my two youngest girls ( almost 4 and 19 months), and they were safe at home. My van was totaled. My daughter had only one minor burn from the seat belt. She was in a Graco backless booster.

I was told that my daughter's booster needed replacing after the crash, which we did. What no one told me was that ALL my seat should have been replaced that were in the crash, even though there was no kids in them at the time. Although the infant seat is long gone and the booster has been replaced, I still have been using the my roundabout with my youngest for almost 2 years. It was in the car during the crash.

As soon as I found this information out, I stopped using the roundabout. I had to get something quickly and ended up getting the Cosco high back booster with 5 pt. harness for my 3 year old. She is almost 30lbs. and is 36". Is this a good car seat for her or was it cheap for a reason?

Doing more research into my other kids car seats, led me to get my 6 year old a high back booster to replace her backless. She falls asleep and falls sideways when we are in the car for a long time or it's late. I never knew that could be dangerous until I read the posts! The problem is solved and thanks again for the info!

Now the questions about my 8 year old,

My almost 8 year old is currently riding in a Cosco backless booster. I am planning on getting a new booster for her. Then Grandma can then have the 2 extra boosters for when she occasionaly picks the kids up from school or takes them out.

I can't decide on what type to get, backless or high back. I realy like the Graco Turbo booster high back. It is what my 6 year old is in. I would like to get the same seat for my 8 year old. Is it worth my money to get the high back? She only sleeps if we are in the car till very late and she almost never slumps over like her sister does.

My new Van doesn't have side curtain air bags.

Should I get her a high back or save my money and get her a backless?
What would you pick?

ADS

minismom

Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear about your accident but glad everyone was ok!

I would definitely get the highback booster, unless your 8yo is too tall for it. Make sure to sit her in the one you already have and make sure it's comfortable and she has good leg support. If she's on the tall side there are other HBboosters that may be more comfortable. The HBB provides much better side impact protection, whether your child sleeps and slumps sideways or not. And in a car without side airbags it's be even more beneficial. And I don't know what kind of van you have but also keep in mind that if the child is in a backless booster you need to have a headrest in that sitting position, as it's dangerous to have no head support.

About the Cosco seat, which Cosco seat exactly is it? They're usually not our favorites here because the top shoulder slots are too low so the seat is outgrown by height usually before the child reaches the weight limit (40lbs) and then it doesn't make a good booster at all. They have a new version out with higher slots and higher weight limit (50lbs), but the old one is still being sold. Again, please give us more details on which seat you got, Cosco has a few and I'm sure someone here is more familiar with them than I am. If you can still return it I would, and then you can look into seats like the True Fit, Evenflo Triumpl Advance, Radian and Britax Marathon. And btw, if you want ultimate safety your 3 your old should still be able to rear face for a while longer, especially in seats with a high shell such as the True Fit and Radian.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I know the 3-in-1s have a new version but I don't think the Cosco HBB new version (just renamed) goes to 50 lbs.

I have one because we needed to replace my daughter's seat after a crash but needed something for her to use until her Radian came. It was then my 2 year old's backup seat until she outgrew it; from the time she turned FF and started using it she had about 7 months before she outgrew it by height, but I don't know if that's typical... I now have no kid who can fit in it, so I'm going to get rid of it. I got an Apex for her new backup and she has a lot more time in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC