Can my daughter still be RF?

H

hayleycrabtree

Hi there, we just got our car seats inspected today and the guy told me that my daughter should be FF in her Evenflo Triumph. She is 2.5, weighs almost 30lbs and is about 32in. He said she needs to turn around because her legs are too squished.

I disagree...the reason I had her still RF is because its the safest! What about the 5 year olds in Sweden that are still rear facing? Their legs must be squished! :confused:

Is he right? My triumph goes up to 35 lbs RF.

ADS

Blondie87

No, as long as your child is within the weight limit and she still has 1 inch of car seat shell above her head, she can RF! :) No matter how long her legs are.

Who did you get it inspected by? It couldn't have been an actual carseat tech. :thumbsdown:

You are doing a great job keeping her rear facing. Ignore the guy.. he doesn't have his facts straight.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I agree with the previous poster. Your daughter can still safely RF. That guy was wrong to tell you otherwise. Good for you for keeping her RF for so long!

H

hayleycrabtree

OK I thought I was crazy... I felt a little uncomfortable too because he seemed so knowledgable! I found him off of www.800bucklup.org. His name is Daniel Stoner from Seattle.

So just to clear it up - it doesn't matter how long her little legs are or how smushed they are on the back of the seat, as long as she is under 35lbs and 1in from the top she can still be RF? YAY! I will go out to my car right now and switch it backwards!

She liked it FF because then she can look at her sister, and harrass her... I want her to be safe and if she is safest RF, then so be it!

mum2two

Check out the Washington State link....

When I clicked on the link in the OP post to the website for Washington State there was all kinds of outdated info on there, no mention of seats beyond 40 lbs for harnessing, no current AAP RF guidelines, and the picture of the infant seat was especially reclined, and the other seats look pretty dated....maybe some of the techs from Washington can help them update that site!

H

hayleycrabtree

Re: Check out the Washington State link....

Thats horrible! I know now that Washington State requires all children to be harnessed until at least 4 years and 40 lbs. I'm pretty sure this is becoming the new limit countrywide

Heather98012

Qarin

Re: Check out the Washington State link....

When I clicked on the link in the OP post to the website for Washington State there was all kinds of outdated info on there, no mention of seats beyond 40 lbs for harnessing, no current AAP RF guidelines, and the picture of the infant seat was especially reclined, and the other seats look pretty dated....maybe some of the techs from Washington can help them update that site!

On October 20 of this year, I got the following email from them, in response to email I sent about question #20 on their FAQ:

Qarin,
Thank you for your diligence and caring we can really tell you've
done your homework. You are correct with all of the options you gave. We
are currently in the process of revising our entire web site. Check back
soon for a new look and new updated answers. Thank you for letting us know
about this.

Safety Restraint Coalition
917 Kirkland Avenue
Kirkland, WA 98033
425-828-8975 or 800-BUCK-L-UP (in Washington)
425-828-9083 fax
www.800bucklup.org

I'm hoping the update happens soon!

Jenifer

You said you had an Evenflo Triumph. If that is the case the old Triumphs had a rf weight limit of 30#. The newer Triumph Advances have a rf limit of 35#. If you have an older Triumph your child should be turned ff, or moved to a seat that will allow her to continue to be rf to a higher weight limit.

H

hayleycrabtree

Wow you guys are amazing! I ask a question and not only do you answer it, but you ANSWER it with background checks and all! Lucia is in the new evenflo triumph we just got last november (07), so it does go up to 35lbs RF. She also rides in a radian RF. I also did the search and Daniel Stoner is a tech, but like you said, maybe he needs to take a refresher course! Should I e-mail him and tell him that he is wrong? Not only did he make my her go forward facing (despite my pathetic argument) but he is probably donig the same for families all over Seattle! That makes me worried!

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, you can e-mail him and tell him, "You know, the AAP and your own certifying organization both say that kids can and should be rear-facing to the limits of the seat. I am very disappointed that you ignored my wishes and the limits of my seat and turned my daughter forward-facing despite best practice being to leave her rear-facing." If he doesn't respond appropriately (which to my mind would be an apology and a committment to do some research and do better with other families) I think you need to inform your local SafeKids organization that he's giving out wrong information and let them know there's a problem so they can update his knowledge.

I just wanted to say I too have had trouble wtih techs. Telling me I should of turned my then 3 year old FF and my then 5 year old out of a harness and in a booster. I reported them to safe kids. Unfortunetly, they are still giving out wrong info... :-(

Try to report them mabey they will listen, so other's are not given wrong info.

Good for you for rearfacing!!! :)

Yonkers_Mom

I went to my first car seat check a few months ago to have them double check the install on my Boulevard for my 14month old. I had about 4 techs come to my car just to see what was going on (I guess they were bored). Almost all of them mentioned that my son's legs were a little squished and two people mentioned that he could be turned FF. I told them that was okay and I wanted to keep my son RF'ing as long as possible because it is the safest. I think they were a little surprised that I didn't want to move my son FF but no one said anything to me. There is only 1 person who trains techs around here so I'm sure they all got their information from that person.

You just have to listen to your gut when you know what is best for your child. In my playgroup, almost all the parents turned their kids around at 1. I want to say something, but I don't know how to bring it up without sounding like a know-it-all or like I am judging them.

christineka

My local techs are pretty good then! They were the ones to tell me to turn my 20 pound 18 month old back to rfing. When I came again she was nearly 4 years old and 28 pounds. They did have to "check" that she could still rf, and let me know she "could" ff if I wanted, but they let me reinstall the seat rfing. They didn't even mention my 20 month old ds, who was of course rfing too.

If they had insisted against my wishes, I would have pulled out the car seat manual that shows my dd was still within the limits of the seat rfing. And, I would send the email with info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC