What is WRONG with people??

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was in the parking lot of a local store today and saw horrible uses of carseats on either side of me.

On my left, there was a car (Mazda Protege?) with a SungRide base in the back. The base was "installed" (if you can call it that) behind the driver's seat. When I first saw it, it looked like it was leaning over quite a bit, so I looked in the back window to get a better view. The reason it was leaning so much is that it was "installed" ON TOP of a pile of clothes!! There was at least three inches of clothes beneath the base!! YIKES! THe owners of the car were standing right behind it and I tried to talk to them about it, but apparently we didn't speak the same language, so I couldn't get my point across. I tried by motioning and using body language, but they didn't understand. :(

On my right, there was another car (Acura TL) with a SnugRide base in the back. This car, however, had a totally different kind of problem. Sitting next to the base was a plastic drop cloth that had about two dozen bricks on it. LOOSE BRICKS. :eek: Can you imagine what would happen if those people got in an accident? Loose bricks could be EXTRAORDINARILY dangerous projectiles in a car!!

I really don't understand what is wrong with people!!

ADS

Ali

I often wonder the same thing. DH gets mad at me when I get angry with people's misuse of carseats (or none at all).

I get so angry when people say it's "inconvenient" to keep DC RF.

Or when people (usually with a big, new, expensive car) make comments about how expensive carseats are.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Exactly! I hate it when people with extremely expensive cars complain about the price of carseats!

I know a woman who drives a Land Rover Range Rover (about $85,000+, right?) who, when she was pregnant with her first child, stomped and fussed about the price of carseats, cribs, and strollers. She said that her parents had never spent that kind of money on carseats for her and her siblings and they had turned out just fine. This woman wound up buying an Evenflo PortAbout infant carseat, a Baby Trend TrendSport stroller, and an IKEA crib. I'm not sure how much she spent on those items, but I am guessing it was under $350, combined.

I don't think you have to spent A TON in order to get safe products, but you USUALLY get what you pay for when it comes to carseats. There are a few exceptions to that statement, but I think for the most part it is true.

There are plenty of ways to get safe products without spending a fortune, but I do think it is ironic when a person who spends SO MUCH on a car then complains about spending less than 1% of that amount on their child.

melaniev

i cant fathom driving an $85K car .... I mean - it's a car. it will not last more than 10yrs or so no matter what you paid for it, and it travels down a hwy at 70mph with potential for objects flying at it at any point in time, not to mention shopping carts in parking lots! ... thats almost as much as my mortgage.

skaterbabs

LOL

Of course it can last longer than ten years. Our NEWEST car is my Jeep - a '96 model. That's not to say it will, but it can. What usualy happens is after 3-4 years the original owner trades it in, and someone else buys it. They drive it for 2-5 years or so, and then they sell. Then someone like us will buy then now almost ten year old car and drive it until it dies.

Kellyr2

LOL - yeah, in 1996, when I was 16, I was driving a 1985 Jetta. I drove it until it died (it had an oil leak AND the oil light would turn on even if there was no problem, so it died, oil-less, on the interstate...) in 1999. I then had a 1990 Jetta until 2001 and it still had plenty of life in it. Until a couple of years ago, I don't think my dad EVER drove anything younger than 10 yrs old. He drove a 70something Vega until, I know after 2000. Maybe 2002.

Anyway - yeah, the people who spend tons on cars but want cheap seats confuse me, too. At least my parents are cheap in every area - not just carseats! (my mom refuses to believe that carseats can "expire" and that there are less safe seats on the market, like OHS's)

skaterbabs

Well, in '94 I bought a '91 Hyundai Excel, but I drove it until I hit a deer with it in '98. lol Then again, I was in high school and didn't really have anything else to spend money on except clothes and shoes. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC