Vent darn TF lockoffs

NannyMom

WHY must we use the rf lockoffs with latch on the TF?! I had a tighter install w/o them! The darn latch belt kept slipping into the turning part of the lockoff. If I had it more at 45* to access the adjuster better, the lockoff problem got worse. If I put it closer to 30* the harness adjuster was gone. UGH! :thumbsdown:

Off to call learning curve and vent to them.....

ADS

NannyMom

The CS rep said yes, we must use both lockoffs with latch rf (which I already knew). So I started telling the CS rep that the carseat lady won't reccomend the seat (even though she loves everything else about it) until they stop requiring the lockoffs be used with the latch rf (she reccomended I tell them that). So the CS gave me the voice mail of one of the carseat techs. So, I left them the message....hopfully they won't take forever to get back to me.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The CS rep said yes, we must use both lockoffs with latch rf (which I already knew). So I started telling the CS rep that the carseat lady won't reccomend the seat (even though she loves everything else about it) until they stop requiring the lockoffs be used with the latch rf (she reccomended I tell them that). So the CS gave me the voice mail of one of the carseat techs. So, I left them the message....hopfully they won't take forever to get back to me.

Maybe a small tip for next time? Tell the CS lady that you won't recommend the seat. Carseat lady would just make me roll my eyes if you said that to me on the phone. :eek: You are a tech and you do make recommendations to parents. Don't lean on someone else's opinions - form your own and stand by them. :thumbsup:

When installing the seat at a 45* angle, the LATCH strap and even the seatbelt is definitely a PITB when dealing with the lock-off. I don't see any way though to not use the lock-offs. You wouldn't have a flat belt path anymore if you didn't use the lock-off - a hump on each side of the belt path wouldn't be a good thing.l

It's a bit tricky, but what I did in my truck when I had the seat at a 45* angle was position the LATCH belt while it was still a little loose, then hold it in position as I tightened it. As long as you can get the lock-off shut, you're fine even if the edge slip a little towards the part that rotates. I'm not sure how it could loosen up when you close the lock-off given that the lock-off is compressing the belt and indenting it a little in the middle. :confused:

At any rate, maybe play with it a bit in a few more vehicles. The more experience you get dealing with installing it at a 45* angle the easier it becomes. I've had it in my truck with both seatbelt and LATCH now at a 45* angle and while it wasn't the easiest install ever, I've definitely had much harder and much worse installs. So try playing around with positioning the LATCH belt prior to tightening it all the way and holding it in position while you tighten it.

I'm curious to hear what the First Years tech tells you though. :thumbsup:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Maybe a small tip for next time? Tell the CS lady that you won't recommend the seat. Carseat lady would just make me roll my eyes if you said that to me on the phone. :eek: You are a tech and you do make recommendations to parents. Don't lean on someone else's opinions - form your own and stand by them. :thumbsup:

I rolled my eyes and I wasn't even on the phone lol. Definitely better coming from you in a case like this than from a carseat lady, an instructor, some online reference, some nationally respected advocate or anyone.

NannyMom

I'm lost....who's "the carseat lady"?

www.thecarseatlady.com. The original is in Baltimore, and her daughter is in PA and her DD's friend is in NY. She's been active in carseats for 25 years. Most of the carseat companies know her. She's a CPST-I as well.

I didn't mention her name to lean on her opinion. I told them my opinion (and that I'm a CPST), then added hers as well. Sorry, I see I omitted that part in my previous post. SHe and I had been talking about the seat over the weekend and she told me if I called them, to let them know those were her thoughts.

Anyway, this vent wasn't about her. It was about having to use the lockoffs. I had the seat tighter w/o them.

Maybe I don't understand the physics of it all...but why would having a little bump at the belt path (if the latch went over the lockoff) be bad if the install is rock solid? Other than the fact that LC says it has to be in the lockoffs obviously.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC