Question I have no idea what to do!!!

NotJUSTamom

I have kind of a tough question for you guys! I have to bring a boy who is in Payton's class (2nd grade) home on Wednesday. He is quite the chubby kid (his mom said one time that he weighs about 125 lbs) and he's probably 53-55 inches. Bottom line….He is HUGE for second grade!! I am absolutely stumped on what to do. It is doubtful that he fits correctly in the seatbelt and is too heavy for a booster. But,can I put him in the Monterey even though he is at least 5lbs over weight limit? Would that be ok?:confused:

ADS

NotJUSTamom

i'd put him in a backless monterey and not think anything of it :twocents:

That sounds fine, but is it ok even though he is over the weight limit???? Iv'e heard that they are set in stone..but it's just a booster..so I don't see how much of a problem it could be..

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree, I'd take the back off and have him go backless in the Monterey.

ETA - using the seat backless does go against manufacturers instructions but in the case of a backless it's really just lifting him up to give him a better fit with the seatbelt. It's really your decision as it is not approved by the manufacturer. I'd rather see him go backless in the Monterey than with the back if he is over the weight limit.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
IMO, having a child in a poorly-fitting seatbelt is worse misuse than using a backless booster over the limit. Sometimes there are no "good" choices, but sometimes one of the "bad" choices is clearly worse than the other, and this is one of those times.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'd do a backless booster without second thought. My nephew is 10 pounds heavier and in the first grade and rides in a NBB. He doesn't fit the NBB well, much less just the belt.

mum2two

I've never used a booster before but are there issues with the width of the seat? I'd be concerned if a fella that big would have enough space, you'd hate for him to be squished...the backless ones I've seen have arms.

I have a 130 pound 2nd grader(7 year old) that I watch 4 times a month. I put him in a backless Cosco Prospect. He is a lil' smooshed though. He is also around the same height as the boy you listed. He fits TERRIBLE in a seatbelt....
He does not fit in these backless:

*Graco Turbo backless
*FPSV backless

emandbri

I agree with the others that the backless monterey would be best. My oldest has been using a booster past the weight limit for quite a while now. :whistle:

Jenifer

Sometimes parents need to make difficult decisions. I have a big kid who passed the 5 step test and was over 4'9" in my minivan at 7 1/2! He was most comfortable in a RightFit (80# limit) prior to that. What to do? We decided to use the RightFit anyway until he had a good seatbelt fit and go against the weight limit. Our reasoning was that we knew what seatbelt syndrome injuries can do.

In smaller cars, we chose not to booster after the 5 step test was passed due to his head being close to the roof while he was in a booster!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC