Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question I have no idea what to do!!!

I have kind of a tough question for you guys! I have to bring a boy who is in Payton's class (2nd grade) home on Wednesday. He is quite the chubby kid (his mom said one time that he weighs about 125 lbs) and he's probably 53-55 inches. Bottom line….He is HUGE for second grade!! I am absolutely stumped on what to do. It is doubtful that he fits correctly in the seatbelt and is too heavy for a booster. But,can I put him in the Monterey even though he is at least 5lbs over weight limit? Would that be ok?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: I have no idea what to do!!!

i'd put him in a backless monterey and not think anything of it

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    i'd put him in a backless monterey and not think anything of it
    That sounds fine, but is it ok even though he is over the weight limit???? Iv'e heard that they are set in stone..but it's just a booster..so I don't see how much of a problem it could be..

CPS Technician

I agree, I'd take the back off and have him go backless in the Monterey.

ETA - using the seat backless does go against manufacturers instructions but in the case of a backless it's really just lifting him up to give him a better fit with the seatbelt. It's really your decision as it is not approved by the manufacturer. I'd rather see him go backless in the Monterey than with the back if he is over the weight limit.
    Tanya

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
    Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

IMO, having a child in a poorly-fitting seatbelt is worse misuse than using a backless booster over the limit. Sometimes there are no "good" choices, but sometimes one of the "bad" choices is clearly worse than the other, and this is one of those times.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

I'd do a backless booster without second thought. My nephew is 10 pounds heavier and in the first grade and rides in a NBB. He doesn't fit the NBB well, much less just the belt.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

I've never used a booster before but are there issues with the width of the seat? I'd be concerned if a fella that big would have enough space, you'd hate for him to be squished...the backless ones I've seen have arms.
    Single Mom and SLP

The Combi ones are really wide. There are some other wider ones as well.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NotJUSTamom View Post
    It is doubtful that he fits correctly in the seatbelt
    Not to mention that legally, in your state (my state ) he needs to use a booster until he's 8YO or 4'9".
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Fanatic

I have a 130 pound 2nd grader(7 year old) that I watch 4 times a month. I put him in a backless Cosco Prospect. He is a lil' smooshed though. He is also around the same height as the boy you listed. He fits TERRIBLE in a seatbelt....
    He does not fit in these backless:

*Graco Turbo backless
    *FPSV backless

I agree with the others that the backless monterey would be best. My oldest has been using a booster past the weight limit for quite a while now.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

CPS Technician

Sometimes parents need to make difficult decisions. I have a big kid who passed the 5 step test and was over 4'9" in my minivan at 7 1/2! He was most comfortable in a RightFit (80# limit) prior to that. What to do? We decided to use the RightFit anyway until he had a good seatbelt fit and go against the weight limit. Our reasoning was that we knew what seatbelt syndrome injuries can do.

In smaller cars, we chose not to booster after the 5 step test was passed due to his head being close to the roof while he was in a booster!