I understand why people turn at 1year

Pepse

I went out this mroning to Walmart with baby dd. I had to drop older dd off at a language class.

DH had been on nights so his car was first in teh Drive way, HOnda Civic with Blvd in it, pssgn side, rfing. DD Is 16 months, 27 lbs.

Why warm up my SUV when dh's car is first in the driveway and already "warm"

WOW what a PITA rfing convertable seat is in a small car, wow

We took older dd into her class so in and out, went to walmart in and out but I must of hit my head soo many times

Now i understand why people turn them ffing as soon as they hit a year. I had to do that every single day and didn't really know the benefits from you lovely ladies, i would have turned her as soon as possible.

DH car is now on the road for the rest of the day :)

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Is his car a two-door?

I have a Honda Civic (four-door) and haven't had problems with RF convertibles in it. Maybe that is because I really only know "small" cars, so I don't know the luxury of larger cars, though. :eek:

skylinphoto

I have a small car (VW Passat) and am looking at getting a Honda Civic or Mazda3 real soon.
I have a big hulking convertible carseat (recaro signo) RFing in the Passat..and I don't mind it..and my son is 31 months old!

I'm planning on TrueFits for our second car..and I don't think there will be any problem. :)

Like the pper though...I only know small cars..I've never had a larger car. So, I don't know how much easier it really is. But, it's definitely not a problem for me to have a RFing convertible with an older kid in my small car.

Pepse

Is his car a two-door?

I have a Honda Civic (four-door) and haven't had problems with RF convertibles in it. Maybe that is because I really only know "small" cars, so I don't know the luxury of larger cars, though. :eek:

NOpe 4 door 2004 Civic

I have a 06 Ford Explorer. I stand up perfectly normaly, not head hitting to get her in my truck lol

Thank godness the price of gas has gone down, so i don't feel guilty about driving my truck that takes 2xs as much gas as the Civic and disappers soo much faster lol

When my older dd now 14 was small, i had a 2dr hatchback Civic but I also turned her at a year as the recommendations were back then.

fyrfightermomma

Now that I have a minivan and my kids are at my level and we have tons of room to climb all over....I hate hate hate my dh's taurus. And that's not even a small car!

I can't get my DD2 in without smacking her head or killing my back. I can't believe I used to do that every day with my little car.

I sure like my van....I just can't stand getting the kid's in DH's car.

I can't even imagine when we have 3 across!

soccer_widow

I have 2 kids RF in Marathons in my Civic, and it's not really an issue for me. I guess the fact that I drive it every day and I am so used to getting the kids in and out, it's not a problem.

cpsaddict

I have an Escape and have no issues with a rf toddler. HOWEVER, my friend has a Dodge Calibur and the doors are really short. OMG, how annoying to put her DD in. I am 5'9" tall and hit mine and her head. I have horrid back problems and can't really stoop, so it's nearly impossible. I will never get a small car, just because of that.

Heather86

we have a 94 accord and an 07 florenza and I've had a fpsvd,scenera,avenue and a marathon in the back and after awhile I got really good at it and didn't hit mine or his head. But it was a trick getting him in esp as he got bigger. It's not quite as hard with the avenue because it's a really low seat. But the others it took a bit of doing lol

LuvMyGirls

I know what you are talking about! After my van was wrecked in August I drove a tiny 2 door Sunfire (that we had bought to turn over and make a little money on) for a couple of weeks. I didn't even attempt to put the Radian in there. I had Meredith rear-facing in her ComfortSport behind my driver's seat. Thankfully she was 27 mths and could climb in by herself. I still had to manuever myself in there to buckle and unbuckle her. I would lean the driver's seat forward and slide myself over the back of the ComfortSport. Of course it was even worse doing this with a sprained neck and messed up knees, but man was I glad to get another van.

Pixels

I drive a Civic 4-door right now, DD is RFing behind the driver's seat in a CS.
I used to drive an 86 Caravan with a FFing tot (who should have been RFing still but was 1 and 20) in some OHS seat (what can I say, I didn't know any better). 2nd row passenger's side IIRC.

I'd rather put a LO RF in my Civic over getting one FFing into the van any day. Less lifting.

BTW I HATE trying to get my (occupied) bucket seat into my dad's F-350. That back seat is waaaay up there.

Shaunam

I can imagine it would suck to rf any longer than necessary in a 2 door. I would probably go a little crazy. :thumbsdown:

oursonend

I almost had an orgasm the day I put seats in a minivan for the first time. I have only ever owned small cars (a 2-door honda civic, a 4-door honda civic wagon, and how my saturn SW2 wagon) and I thought the saturn was pretty amazing and roomy compared to the civics... but man oh man, minivans are a whole 'nother level.

I am ERFing DS, but it is tricky. His Radian is not fitting and I realized the other day that I can't even move the SS1 to outboard without moving the front seat way up. In that respect the Honda wagon was actually better, they have remarkably large back seats with lots of leg room (not so much with newer sedans I've noticed though).

It wouldn't make ME FF, but I know that lots of people would just not consider going out and buying another seat when they already have a perfectly good one that won't fit RFing but is fine FFing. Once again I think it's too bad that car seats are not deductible on auto/llife insurance, or even just on taxes.

Hmmm... maybe I should ask my local MP about that. A tax credit for the purchase of safe car seats? I bet that could fly, especially in Canada where the gov't pays the medical care for the kids damaged in accidents.

Kat_Momof3

ME TOO... now maybe we are weird... getting that excited about installing seats in a van... but seriously... not having to actually get in the vehicle to do it was so cool! And all the room to maneuver and everything was awesome.

Our old Buick had left plenty of room to have the front seats all the way back, so that wasn't a problem, but I still just loved being able to not not have to hunch over.

Misty-Bug

wow bobandjess. 2 door metro. whew....

Pepse....I think it is just because you are so used to using the explorer. You aren't used to ducking down and dealing with a smaller car. I went from an explorer with my husbands vehicle but when I went to my car I hit my head a few times.

I really am more used to my car. I think that might be the situation with you.

natysr

I think once you get a technique down, it really isn't a problem.

The car I drive every day is a honda civic. I have a marathon it in and have had no problems.

We used to have a Blvd in a Pathfinder, and I found that harder to get him in and out of than I did the Marathon in my civic. I think it is because we only take the pathfinder on weekends, and don't commute in it.

Now we have a marathon in our pathfinder and I still find it easier to get him in and out of the civc.

I remember my 2-door cavalier. We had to get my son's Rearfacing Comfort sport in it and my daycare kids Snugride in it. What a pain, but I knew it was for saftey.
Then when we had my inlaws camaro for 2 months before we got our van-OMG! I swore at those carseats every day! LOL! I put Logan RF in a scenera in it and Michael in his booster at the time(before I had the regent).

When I got my van I was like OMG! How much easier.

U

Unregistered1

The girls are both too big to RF and I still hit my head getting them in the car :eek::p I drive a four door, 1990 Accord.

skaterbabs

We had Joy RF in our 2 door Cherokee. That was fun - it's actually smaller than many compact cars. Interior space is about 4" wider than a Wrangler. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC