Can you help me find some stats?

Mommy0608

I'm looking for the research that states that FF kids are 4-5 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured than RF kids. I've seen both 4x and 5x, and would like to see an article or study that points to these stats if possible. I've searched high and low and can't seem to find that particular statistic (it's probably right under my nose, but I'm missing it).

Thank you!

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Safe Ride News had an article on page 3, March/April, 2008.

http://www.saferidenews.com/srndnn/

They cite (I just happen to have it sitting next to me :whistle:, and I can type the entire bibliography while waiting for the page to load :eek:):

Marilyn Bull & DR Durbin, "Rear-Facing Car Safety Seats - Getting the Message Right," Pediatrics, March 2008, 121:619-620.

&

Multiple authors - "Car Safety Seats for Children: Rear Facing for Best Protection," Injury Prevention, 2007, 13:398-402.

Mommy0608

Safe Ride News had an article on page 3, March/April, 2008.

http://www.saferidenews.com/srndnn/

They cite (I just happen to have it sitting next to me :whistle:, and I can type the entire bibliography while waiting for the page to load :eek:):

Marilyn Bull & DR Durbin, "Rear-Facing Car Safety Seats - Getting the Message Right," Pediatrics, March 2008, 121:619-620.

&

Multiple authors - "Car Safety Seats for Children: Rear Facing for Best Protection," Injury Prevention, 2007, 13:398-402.

Ah, thank you! That's the statement I was thinking of. If I were to use that statement "Children are five times safer riding rear-facing than forward-facing into the second year of life" that they suggest, should I just cite the SRN article, or site THEIR sources? I'm an English major so you'd think I would be able to answer that myself... haha. :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for providing this info.

Adventuredad

I usually cite 5 times better but perhaps like to exaggerate:whistle: Quick quetion about the Saferide News link. It there says rf is 93% effecive which is in line with what I always nag about. But ff is quoted as 78% effective. I've always heard 60%. How is 93% five times safer than 78%?

The difference between 60 and 92% is five times but the 78% numer confuses me. It might just be all the wine:whistle:

Mommy0608

I usually cite 5 times better but perhaps like to exaggerate:whistle: Quick quetion about the Saferide News link. It there says rf is 93% effecive which is in line with what I always nag about. But ff is quoted as 78% effective. I've always heard 60%. How is 93% five times safer than 78%?

The difference between 60 and 92% is five times but the 78% numer confuses me. It might just be all the wine:whistle:

:shrug-shoulders:

I don't really know how the math works there either, honestly. I think I will list SRN as the source, because the actual article cited in the SRN article isn't accessible to the general public because it's published in Pediatrics. If someone wants to go read the info for themselves, I'd rather offer something they can easily access, KWIM?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC