Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Britax Frontier Recall ( 08c010000 )

Thanks Sarah. However, that doesn't address the issue of the splitter plate itself (not the straps) getting caught on the back of the seat. I've had it happen, & I know Judi has...and she's a tech. She could probably explain it better. She has pictures posted here. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...plitter&page=4

From the pics I've seen of the newer DOM Frontiers, the area right below the red arrow on Judi's pic is solid, not hollow, therefore the splitter plate can't get stuck. So, any idea if there are caps that we can get to fit on there & prevent the issue from happening in the future? Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I haven't called Britax about the problem yet. I was waiting for the current issue to be addressed, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    I haven't called Britax about the problem yet. I was waiting for the current issue to be addressed, I guess.
    Yeah, but obviously they are aware of the situation, as the newer seats don't have the hollow area, ya know?

Yeah, you're right. I need to call.

CPS Technician

In California, and perhaps other states as well, retailers are not allowed to sell a seat that has been recalled. It must first be retrofitted (read fixed) by the store with the provided kit by Britax. Fortunately, everyone at our store is a certified technician, which helps. I'm not sure what BRU's does or how they retrofit their seats.
    California, CPST

Can I order a new harness adjuster straps that has extra stitching instead of getting the so called "fix"? I am not too happy about having something with a "fix" on it, when the new frontiers have a harness with extra stitching.

Any thoughts here? I would be willing to pay for the harness, although I feel they should just give them to us for the recall instead of a two plastic caps.

Not very happy about this at ALL.

I'm wondering why they are giving stores new adjuster straps and the rest of us just plastic caps????

Does anyone else seem concerned by this, or am I over reacting?

Thanks,

Susan

DD 5 frontier (recalled)

Quote Originally Posted by SafeandSecureBaby View Post
    In California, and perhaps other states as well, retailers are not allowed to sell a seat that has been recalled. It must first be retrofitted (read fixed) by the store with the provided kit by Britax. Fortunately, everyone at our store is a certified technician, which helps. I'm not sure what BRU's does or how they retrofit their seats.
    It looks like my BRU sends seats back to the manufacturer. When the Graco CS was recalled the manager was telling me about shipping them back. WHen I was there last night talking to a parent about FF seats, I was telling him about the GN and the Frontier and couldn't figure out where the Frontier went Then I remembered the recall (DUH!).
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

I still have not received a letter, or any fix.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I know it's hard to wait. Just got to hang in there a bit longer. The NHTSA recall announcement indicates Jan. 2009 is the expected timeframe for the recall notification and fix:

THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JANUARY 7, 2009.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

It would if I would have read that, lol. Thanks.
    Last edited by Judi; 01-12-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I received the Frontier recall kit in today's mail, so keep an eye on those mailboxes, ladies and gentlemen.

Sorry I don't have pictures, just a brief description at the moment for the curious. I haven't put the kit on our Frontier yet, just pulled the kit contents out of the mailing envelope for a quick look-see. As expected, the kit consists of two rubber caps to place on the Frontier's harness splitter plate, on the inside portion/prongs of the splitter plate, very much like the Recaro Signo/Como splitter plate recall kit, an instruction sheet, and two adhesive labels. One label is meant to be placed on the inside of the manual's back cover with instructions for removing and replacing the rubber caps when converting the seat to booster mode or for replacing the cover, as well as instructing to always loosen the harness by pulling both harness straps at the same time and checking for a snug harness fit every time it's used. A small round yellow sticker is to be placed on the front of the manual with a blurb to alert the owner/manual reader that the manual has been amended and referring to the important info. about harness use on the inside of the back cover.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Thanks for the info. But dangit, I want them to adjust the issue Judi & I (& I'm sure lots more people) have been dealing with!! <sigh>

But I will definately keep my eye out for the kits in the mail.

Senior Community Member seamonkeys's Avatar

Got mine today too! I've put them on, but I guess I didn't read the recall correctly and was expecting covers to go over those slots in the actual seat that people were getting their splinter plate caught on! I guess this may help make the gap smaller so it won't do that either? Oh well, I've never actually had the original problem to begin with, so I can't complain.

Got mine, although it was kinda late & I haven't even opened the packages yet.

Senior Community Member mamabear's Avatar

got some too, but they have already replaced my harness with the "new" revised harness a few months ago, so I doubt I will be uninstalling my seat to put them on...I'll hold on to them in case I ever sell my seat and someone wants them........

I got mine today. Now, to get the Frontier o of the truck.

Senior Community Member all together ooky's Avatar

I got mine yesterday. But I'm going to wait until the weather gets above zero. (Only a couple more days)

I still have to call Britax about the lousy cover.
    ~Sonja~

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
    Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
    Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

CPS Technician

No sign of mine yet.....
    Tanya

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
    Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster

Well I am happy about them finally doing something about this problem for the Frontier. I went round and round and round with Britax about this very same thing happeneing to me on my Husky! The harness strap came off in my hand 2 times! I called and was furious and bascially got nowhere with them at all! I demanded they did something so they offered to exchange it for another Husky. Well it happened again! The harness unattached from the yoke. I told them that this has be happening to more people and it makes me worry. The last convo with them had me in tears because they had no answers and had no solution for me. Well those little things on the yoke for the Frontier is the answer! I wonder if they can make these to fit my Husky and Regent. It is something I am always worried about. I am more careful now to pull the straps even but still, those yokes all need to me redesigned IMO.

Seems like my new Frontier DOM 12/22/08 has the same problem everyone is describing! It happened last night when I came home. I think it's a yolk problem!

I sent my other Frontier DOM 10/31/08 back to Britax due to the "rattling noise" inside the shell.

My MIL always manages to twist the straps. Don't ask me how.........makes me furious.

The right side was twisted, so I lifted the adjuster level and yanked on the right side harness only. The WHOLE RIGHT STRAP was in my hand!!!! It has the "fixed" harness with the extra sewing. I had to reinstall the seat later after DS went to sleep. Yaaaa! It was 20something degrees out and snowing in PA too!

I was reading on the recall that you should pull both sides evenly when adjusting it. I was trying to pull the harness out pretty far to see where the twist was.

I'm thinking I should email someone about it ASAP.