News Britax Frontier Recall ( 08c010000 )

Heather98012

Thanks Sarah. However, that doesn't address the issue of the splitter plate itself (not the straps) getting caught on the back of the seat. I've had it happen, & I know Judi has...and she's a tech. She could probably explain it better. She has pictures posted here. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=56923&highlight=frontier+splitter&page=4

From the pics I've seen of the newer DOM Frontiers, the area right below the red arrow on Judi's pic is solid, not hollow, therefore the splitter plate can't get stuck. So, any idea if there are caps that we can get to fit on there & prevent the issue from happening in the future? Thanks in advance.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I haven't called Britax about the problem yet. I was waiting for the current issue to be addressed, I guess.

In California, and perhaps other states as well, retailers are not allowed to sell a seat that has been recalled. It must first be retrofitted (read fixed) by the store with the provided kit by Britax. Fortunately, everyone at our store is a certified technician, which helps. I'm not sure what BRU's does or how they retrofit their seats.

chucksusanb

Can I order a new harness adjuster straps that has extra stitching instead of getting the so called "fix"? I am not too happy about having something with a "fix" on it, when the new frontiers have a harness with extra stitching.

Any thoughts here? I would be willing to pay for the harness, although I feel they should just give them to us for the recall instead of a two plastic caps.

Not very happy about this at ALL.

I'm wondering why they are giving stores new adjuster straps and the rest of us just plastic caps????

Does anyone else seem concerned by this:eek:, or am I over reacting?

Thanks,

Susan

DD 5 frontier (recalled)

NannyMom

In California, and perhaps other states as well, retailers are not allowed to sell a seat that has been recalled. It must first be retrofitted (read fixed) by the store with the provided kit by Britax. Fortunately, everyone at our store is a certified technician, which helps. I'm not sure what BRU's does or how they retrofit their seats.

It looks like my BRU sends seats back to the manufacturer. When the Graco CS was recalled the manager was telling me about shipping them back. WHen I was there last night talking to a parent about FF seats, I was telling him about the GN and the Frontier and couldn't figure out where the Frontier went :confused: Then I remembered the recall (DUH!).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I received the Frontier recall kit in today's mail, so keep an eye on those mailboxes, ladies and gentlemen. :)

Sorry I don't have pictures, just a brief description at the moment for the curious. I haven't put the kit on our Frontier yet, just pulled the kit contents out of the mailing envelope for a quick look-see. As expected, the kit consists of two rubber caps to place on the Frontier's harness splitter plate, on the inside portion/prongs of the splitter plate, very much like the Recaro Signo/Como splitter plate recall kit, an instruction sheet, and two adhesive labels. One label is meant to be placed on the inside of the manual's back cover with instructions for removing and replacing the rubber caps when converting the seat to booster mode or for replacing the cover, as well as instructing to always loosen the harness by pulling both harness straps at the same time and checking for a snug harness fit every time it's used. A small round yellow sticker is to be placed on the front of the manual with a blurb to alert the owner/manual reader that the manual has been amended and referring to the important info. about harness use on the inside of the back cover.

Heather98012

Thanks for the info. But dangit, I want them to adjust the issue Judi & I (& I'm sure lots more people) have been dealing with!! <sigh>

But I will definately keep my eye out for the kits in the mail.

seamonkeys

Got mine today too! I've put them on, but I guess I didn't read the recall correctly and was expecting covers to go over those slots in the actual seat that people were getting their splinter plate caught on! :doh: I guess this may help make the gap smaller so it won't do that either? Oh well, I've never actually had the original problem to begin with, so I can't complain.

mamabear

got some too, but they have already replaced my harness with the "new" revised harness a few months ago, so I doubt I will be uninstalling my seat to put them on...I'll hold on to them in case I ever sell my seat and someone wants them........

Tinydolly

Well I am happy about them finally doing something about this problem for the Frontier. I went round and round and round with Britax about this very same thing happeneing to me on my Husky! The harness strap came off in my hand 2 times! I called and was furious and bascially got nowhere with them at all! I demanded they did something so they offered to exchange it for another Husky. Well it happened again! The harness unattached from the yoke. I told them that this has be happening to more people and it makes me worry. The last convo with them had me in tears because they had no answers and had no solution for me. Well those little things on the yoke for the Frontier is the answer! I wonder if they can make these to fit my Husky and Regent. It is something I am always worried about. I am more careful now to pull the straps even but still, those yokes all need to me redesigned IMO.

PixieEMT

Seems like my new Frontier DOM 12/22/08 has the same problem everyone is describing! It happened last night when I came home. I think it's a yolk problem!

I sent my other Frontier DOM 10/31/08 back to Britax due to the "rattling noise" inside the shell.

My MIL always manages to twist the straps. Don't ask me how.........makes me furious.

The right side was twisted, so I lifted the adjuster level and yanked on the right side harness only. The WHOLE RIGHT STRAP was in my hand!!!! It has the "fixed" harness with the extra sewing. I had to reinstall the seat later after DS went to sleep. Yaaaa! It was 20something degrees out and snowing in PA too!

I was reading on the recall that you should pull both sides evenly when adjusting it. I was trying to pull the harness out pretty far to see where the twist was.

I'm thinking I should email someone about it ASAP.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC