Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Britax Frontier Recall ( 08c010000 )

Dated: DEC 10, 2008 BRITAX IS RECALLING CERTAIN FRONTIER CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, MODELS E9L54E7 (FRONTIER RED ROCK), E9L54H6 (FRONTIER RUSHMORE), E9L54H7 (FRONTIER PINK SKY), E9L54M6 (FRONTIER CANYON), AND E9L5490 (FRON...

More...

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Britax ( 08c010000 )

Weird that they have no suggestion for what parents should do right now. Also - britax hasn't updated their site yet... hopefully today they will do that.
    Kate - Mom to 2 boys! - CPST

It's off! Yipee!

That is AWSOME!

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Senior Community Member Melizerd's Avatar

DUH. How long did people complain about this one before they finally issued a recall?
    Mel,RN
    Married 13 years to a wonderful DH and mom to an amazing 8 year old boy.

Living the dream...Blogging about love, life and family

Quote Originally Posted by Melizerd View Post
    DUH. How long did people complain about this one before they finally issued a recall?
    I suspect there was some difficulty in confirming it, as I never could reproduce it on mine. There are certainly many other factors that can cause time from the first report to the actual recall, of course.

There is also some information here, and Britax should have info about the Britax Frontier Recall on their website today-

http://carseatblog.com/?p=669

Carseat Crazy

What parents could do now, is only loosen the straps together, or not loosen the straps at all, and always run their hand along the back to make sure both straps are still attached to the metal yoke.

:-)

CPS Fanatic

Re: Britax Frontier Recall ( 08c010000 )

Oh yay! I don't even have a frontier, but I'm so happy that it's being addressed for those who do!

Question: Is the range on production dates thru Sept 18th because they fixed the problem on new models at that time? ETA--that's only two weeks after our big thread on it. I wonder what the solution is-- little rubber caps?.
    ~Laura™ mom to Seamus (6) in a Regent and Mickey (4) in a ff Myride. Due 6/26/11 with Abigail Tucker, patiently awaiting the install of her Myride.

Carseat Crazy

Yes, the blog mentioned the caps.

Carseat Crazy

Has the Frontier a different Splitter Plate or why didn´t occured this on other new Britax seats?
    Joy

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by wondering1 View Post
    Yes, the blog mentioned the caps.
    Thanks, somehow I missed the blog link above. It answered all my questions.
    ~Laura™ mom to Seamus (6) in a Regent and Mickey (4) in a ff Myride. Due 6/26/11 with Abigail Tucker, patiently awaiting the install of her Myride.

CPS Fanatic

They e-mailed me and said they could reproduce it in mine that I sent back. I can't remember the exact date of mine(i am pretty sure it was one of the first that was made).

I don't own one anymore though, I hated how cheapy it was made for 300.00!

Here is the official press release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Britax Child Safety, Inc.

(704) 409-1700

BRITAX ANNOUNCES VOLUNTARY SAFETY RECALL

- Remedy kit will be shipping no later than January 7, 2009 -

CHARLOTTE, NC (December 12, 2008) - Britax Child Safety, Inc. announced today that it is conducting a voluntary safety recall on the FrontierT combination Harness-2-BoosterT child restraints. The recall includes Frontier child restraints manufactured between April 1, 2008 and September 14, 2008 for Model #s E9L54E7, E9L54H6, E9L54H7 and E9L54M6 and between April 1, 2008 and September 17, 2008 on Model # E9L5490.

If the harness straps are repeatedly loosened one strap at a time, then the harness strap(s) may become detached from the metal yoke located on the back of the child seat. If the harness strap(s) becomes loose or detached then the condition can be corrected by inspecting the back of the child seat and reattaching the harness straps. If this condition occurs, the child may not be properly restrained, and in the event of a vehicle crash there could be an increased risk of injury.

To address this issue, Britax will provide two rubber caps that can be easily placed on the yoke slots to prevent the harness straps from detaching. The rubber caps have been specifically designed for the Frontier yoke to provide a secure fit and have been tested to verify their effectiveness.

No later than January 7, 2009, the rubber caps will be mailed with an instruction sheet to all registered Frontier child restraint owners with manufacturing dates prior to September 15 or 18, 2008. Additional caps will be made available to retailers with affected inventory of Frontiers manufactured prior to September 15 or 18, 2008. All Frontier child restraint owners should confirm whether their Frontier is affected by verifying the date of manufacture. Detailed instructions for locating this information can be found at www.FrontierRecall.com

Until consumers receive their remedy kit, they should confirm that their harness system is properly attached to the metal yoke and they may continue to safely use their child restraint.

Owners of the Frontier child restraint who have not registered their product or need to verify existing registration should contact the Britax information line, toll free at 1-800-683-2045 or visit www.FrontierRecall.com.

About Britax

Britax Child Safety Inc. is a leading child seat manufacturer. For more than three decades, it has been a pioneer in developing car seats that enhance safety. Britax's full line of car seats offers side impact protection, and its True Side Impact ProtectionT family of products features the highest level of side impact protection available on the market.

Britax is the best-selling child seat in Europe and has become one of the most-trusted brands in North America by parents and caregivers since entering the market in 1996. Britax assembles its car seats in its Charlotte, N.C. factory, with many of the components coming from vendors within a 100-mile radius of Charlotte. For more information, visit www.britaxusa.com.

Senior Community Member mamabear's Avatar

GREAT! (sarcastically)
    I have been in contact with Britax several times over the last 2 months about this (I had my harness come off)

Call #1:they denied there was a problem

Call#2 a supervisor told me "they were working on it and would let me know..."

over 3 weeks later and still no word I started hearing that people on here got a revised harness, with the hole sewn smaller, and a "seam" at the end that makes it harder for the harness to slip to the openings

call#3 I finally got them to send me the "new" harness (almost 2 months after I first reported the problem)

DD's seat has this "new harness" on it now. Am I still supposed to get the caps???(of course I'll call and check)

It is such a PIA to install this seat in my car.DD moved up to the highest harness setting when I changed out the harness and I was glad I could rest that I was going to leave it that way for a while. I am already bummed that I know I'm going to have to do it again in the next few weeks......BUT I'm glad they are finally on this problem.

It DID seem to take a really long time

Sorry, this was more of a vent than anything!!

Quote Originally Posted by joyride View Post
    Has the Frontier a different Splitter Plate or why didn´t occured this on other new Britax seats?
    Joy
    MY personal opinion is that the webbing on the Frontier harness is thinner and more slippery and the holes where the splitter attaches "fold over" on themselves making it slip to the openings and can come off when pulled on one side because it tips to that side.

This won't fix my other issue though. Where the splitter plate gets caught on the car seat. I gotta call them.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    I am already bummed that I know I'm going to have to do it again in the next few weeks
    You won't have to do it again. The recall states that new seats are fixed by the new harness. Old seats are fixed with the plastic caps.

Since you already have the new harness, your seat is fixed.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    MY personal opinion is that the webbing on the Frontier harness is thinner and more slippery and the holes where the splitter attaches "fold over" on themselves making it slip to the openings and can come off when pulled on one side because it tips to that side.
    I noted that in some of my correspondence to Britax also. I suspect that may have been at least some part of the issue, though that's just a guess. The harness material on some of their other models seems a bit coarser and doesn't fold as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTech View Post
    You won't have to do it again. The recall states that new seats are fixed by the new harness. Old seats are fixed with the plastic caps.

Since you already have the new harness, your seat is fixed.
    cool.
    I have an old seat. DOM 4/21.
    Good to know the new harness is a fix as well.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    This won't fix my other issue though. Where the splitter plate gets caught on the car seat. I gotta call them.
    The rubber caps could prevent it from getting caught if they significantly reduce the gap in the splitter plate. Just speculating, not that I've seen the caps.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    The rubber caps could prevent it from getting caught if they significantly reduce the gap in the splitter plate. Just speculating, not that I've seen the caps.
    the Frontier caps go on the actual shell (judging from newer DOMs that have seem to have them). They aren't like the Recaro rubber caps correcting that splitter plate/harness problem (which I'm assuming is what you're picturing). This issue is that there are hollow guides on the sides of the beltpath and the splitter plate can get hung up on them because the tops are open. The rubber caps close off the guides.

adding-

the guides/problem
    the fix

edit, again. okay, so I need to read more closely. They are providing recaro style caps. I wonder if you can request ones for the guides as well.
    Last edited by crunchierthanthou; 12-12-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: d'oh!