True Fit Harness

flick37

Hi,

when the carseat was still in the house, I had DD sit in the true fit and buckled her in, no problems. It was installed today after work and when I picked her up from daycare and tried to put her in it, it was awful. I could not get the straps loose enough to strap her in without utterly squishing her in. It was much TOO tight. I know that the harness is on a continuous loop and I tried doing one side first then adjusting the other, but the other side would not budge. DD is pretty slim and tall, so I do not know how a LO on the chubbier side would ever be harnessed in without cutting off blood supply at the neck! So, I must be doing something wrong, and missing something utterly obvious.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ADS

NannyMom

Maybe it's stuck on something? Can you look under the cover and see if the harness seems to look right?

flick37

I just went to check and it is not caught on anything, as far as I can tell. our scenera also did this, and I thought it was just because it was a cheap seat, but now I realize that the scenera also must have the continuous harness strap...I need to get this figured out :confused:

NannyMom

Based on your siggy, I'm guessing you have it instaled RF. Is the splitter plate stuck on anything? Can you loosen/tighten the harness if you pull the splitter plate instead of pulling n the harness?

MoreLatte

Mine has done the same thing several times! I thought it was just me! It's almost as if the adjuster strap gets caught on something or the mechanism just jams.

My seat is FF. The last time it happened, I had just moved the straps up, so I just started pulling on the harness at the top and it finally started to work.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? I considered calling Learning Curve but figured it was something that I was doing that was causing it.

flick37

okay, I am back from another check and nothing is blocking the strap.

Also, when I was adjusting the straps, the splitter plate always stays at the bottom of the seat, pretty much underneath the base. I assume this is because the harness is adjusted at the bottom, not at the top like my MA.

Maybe calling Learning Curve would be a good thing! I was so excited about the TF, but am feeling slightly less so now...:(

flick37

So, I called Learning Curve and the CS rep mentioned that the splitter plate should move up into cubby area and I don't think mine does that. I will have to check after work. something must be caught up somewhere...and she told me that the harness is supposed to loosen at the shoulder, and mine does not do that, so something is definitely hung up somewhere. I thought is was a bit strange that it was only adjustable at the bottom. so, will have to take out the seat tonight. oh well, now I can vacuum out all the rocks and dirt on the vehicle seat from where the MA was (my MA....missing it already...sniff sniff). Jealous that it is finding a home in DH's truck...

canmom

I think I might know what you are talking about as I have a TrueFit as well. I don't adjust the traps whe putting DD in because the adjuster is too hard to reach. When she isn't in the seat, it is much easier to pull one harness side out and then pull the other, when she is in the seat it can be done but it is a bit harder.... you need to pull on the lap portion of the harness because it is a continous loop under the seat if you KWIM? Because the child is sitting on that portion their weight can make it a little trickier to adjust. When the CS rep at lurning curve said it adjust at the shoulder, I think she may have meant when you compress the adjuster button it pulls out from there. Hope this helps a bit!

flick37

It isn't an issue of reaching the adjuster; it is an issue of not enough harness coming loose to put DD into the harness. When I open the adjuster, the straps do not come loose at the shoulder. Hard to explain in writing. The harness, somewhere, must be caught up on something.

My straps have a tendency of twisting in the buckle latches, which will not allow the harness to adjust. As long as I make sure they are not twisted, the loop harness works - unless child's weight is on straps!

flick37

Problem Solved!! I took the carseat out and voila...a twist with the adjuster strap!!! Was outside for about 20 mins in -31 windchill un-installing the TF, vacuuming the seat and then installing the seat. Brrr!!!! I found the install really easy to get the TF in tight. So, am including pics for the experts to look at to make sure it looks alright :grin:

I have yet to put DD in the seat, but am sure that it will all go well!

monet2.jpg

the yellow pool noodle in this shot is an extra and is NOT sticking out from under the base :)

monet.jpg

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC