highchair

U

Unregistered

I know this is not a carseat question but it did say gear so here we go. I need a new highchair for my 34 month old DD, looking for one that will adjust up and down so we can use it at the table when we dont have the tray on, also a good 5-point harness as well. Any info,links or pictures would be great.

ADS

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Did I read that right that you want one for a 34 month old? As in almost 3 years old? Just wanted to clarify :)

ccjones

I have the Chicco Polly highchair with the Sahara pattern, which I absolutely LOVE because it has 7 height positions, and it folds flat for storage. It only goes to 37lbs, though...so your 34mo DD might be too big for it.

The Graco Contempo highchair is new and is similar to the Chicco Polly in that it folds flat for storage, but I think it only has 6 height positions. However, the Graco goes to 40 lbs. The Graco also comes in more patterns that the Chicco.

Chicco Polly: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265743&cp

Graco Contempo: http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...+contempo&kw=graco+contempo&parentPage=search

Dillipop

I would suggest a booster seat on a chair that comes with a tray. That way, you can still strap the child in and use the tray if you need to, but also pull the child up to the table. At 34 months, I would guess you wouldn't get much use from a full size highchair, but would get a ton of use from a booster, since your child could probably use it until they were 5ish or big enough to reach the table.

We have the one shown here. (not sure how to put in a link, but you can copy and paste it into your browser)

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...981.2256162.2256180.2256183&parentPage=family

DS is just over 3 and sits well in it without the straps at my parents house. (at our house he prefers to sit at the table on his knees, so uses nothing) It was really useful when he was younger to strap him in. It also folds to take with you to others houses. Plus, at $15 a huge savings over a full size highchair.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you are wanting a 5-point harness, how about something like the Fisher-Price Space Saver? http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2001&e=detail&site=us&pid=35236&selcat=bgh
I'm not sure what the weight limits are on this seat, but it does convert to a booster later, so I am guessing it has higher weight limits.

OR

How about something like the Cooshie Booster? It is EASY to transport, but it may be better for an older child (give your DD a few more months).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000056J2D/002-0962348-7414462?v=glance

It is hard to recommend a good high chair when your DD is almost 3. She has probably outgrown most high chairs, right?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I also have the Cooshie boosters and LOVE them! My 2 yr old, 3 yr old, and 4 yr old each have one that they use to sit at the table. They are so easy to wash. My 2 yr old has tried to wiggle out on his own and he can't because the booster seats really stick to the chairs and then the kids stick to the boosters. And they are so much easier to clean than a high chair!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Almost everyone I know who has had a Cooshie booster has LOVED it. It is easy to transport, easy to clean (NO CREVICES), and doesn't have to be strapped onto a chair, which makes it easy to use in restaurants, etc. :)

The only complaint I have ever heard about the Cooshie was that it was over-priced for what you get. The complaint was issued by a mom who said that a slab of foam shouldn't cost more than $10.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We love our Chicco Polly, too! I got it at birth, since it reclines so perfectly, and we used it as a rolling bouncy seat (we have an enormous kitchen/greatroom, so it was perfect).
DD is such an incredibly messy eater (she's almost 7 months...what else should I expect? lol) that we find it easier to use the Chicco Hippo hook-on chair on our granite kitchen island, it's just easier to wipe granite than clean highchair trays (though the three polly trays make clean up a breeze in general).
I can't imagine buying a highchair for an almost 3 yo... maybe the Combi one, that becomes a table and chair?

rescuedcat

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't get a high chair for a nearly three year old. Instead, I'd suggest a Stokke Kinderzeat. They don't have a five point harness, but I haven't found that to be an issue. Both of my kids use them, and we don't even need to buckle them in anymore. My daughter is younger than your child and she's been using hers since she was a little over one with no problems.

marshmallow

My 2 year old nephew sits on a regular chair now. I'm surprised a 3 year old would let you put her in it.

But my peg perego rocker has lots of height adjustments ad I can have it fit up next to the table. But the crotch horn would be a problem for an older child -- I'm not 100% sure if it can be removed. There's a screw on it, but I've never tried to take it off. The footrest height isn't adjustable on it either.

slgroves

I have the FP space saver for my 7 month old. I love it. $50 and it converts into a booster later. Don't know how well that will work, but it's nice that it could last & my daughter is comfy in it now. It worked when she couldn't hold herself up and she's happy in it sitting up.

Morganthe

I wouldn't get a high chair for a nearly three year old. Instead, I'd suggest a Stokke Kinderzeat. They don't have a five point harness, but I haven't found that to be an issue. Both of my kids use them, and we don't even need to buckle them in anymore.

A cheaper version than a Stokke high stool is at One step ahead for $99
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/85205/409757/117.html But I'm sure if you shop around, you can find other knock offs. It's a chair. As long as its sturdy and comfortable, don't fuss about it. :p

I'd either go with the Cooshie booster or a high stool, especially if the child is over 2. As soon as she could sit without support around 9 months, my daughter HATED being strapped in any traditional high chair. Graco or Peg Perego, it didn't matter. She went from adorable and ready to dine with us, to battling against being harnessed and padded chairs.

I picked up a really cheap Hauck stool similar to the one in the link with a wood band around the waist area and a simple strap linking the band to the seat for about $30 for travelling. She loved it and has used it ever since.

At 2, I was able to take the band off. She climbs up and down all on her own. Promotes independence, as far as I'm concerned. Not babyish at all. But don't ever make the mistake of asking her to sit in her chair -- "It's a STOOL, Momma!" She's three now and very proud about it. :D

We had a Cooshie and she enjoyed it for a very short while when we were out of the house. (Sold it on ebay and the buyer loves it.) Now she prefers sitting like an adult or on her knees. When offered a booster in a restaurant, she always says "No, thank you, I like to sit". :rolleyes:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My niece has that seat from One Step Ahead. She got it when she was about 18 months old. She (and her parents, of course) likes it, but she is able to tip it over, which is a big problem. It looks like it wouldn't be easy to tip over, but my niece can do it. Maybe she is a prodigy? ;) :confused: :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC