Majorly OT question...

menfusse

I need toy reccomendations for my monkey of a 7 month old. She is absolutely spawn from a primate...I have no doubt. Nothing keeps her entertained and she spends most of the day following me around with the whiney baboon mating call, clingy to my ankles. If she's not doing that, she is climbing the cabinets and bloodying her lip, or climbing on top of my economy vat of laundry detergent and bloodying her nose...I mean I can't keep up. Did I mention she is a monkey? Soooo, my question is do any of you mammas have experience raising primates and what toys are there that *might* entertain her for even just a 10-15 mimute stretch so I can put a load of laundry in without having to save her from brain damage she will undoubtedly receive from our hardwood floors? Help! I guess I need something that is sturdy with a lot of gadgets that won't tip over when the little chimps scales the sides of it. Any suggestions?

ADS

ccjones

I bought this several months ago for my now 1-year-old DS. He LOVED to pull himself up and walk around the sides. When he learned to crawl, he would crawl between each section. He also loved to chew and play with the acessories that come with the wall since he was teething. Otherwise, my other suggestion would be to put her in a Pack N Play for a few minutes while you do your laundry. It's not ideal, but for 10-15 minutes a couple of times a day, it's probably not too bad for her to play by herself for a little bit. Maybe your daughter will sit and play with some toys, or try to pull herself up and walk around the sides of the Pack N Play. My DS would just walk around and around the sides of the Pack N Play when he was learning how to cruise.

Colleen

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If you don't already have a pack n play, what about this ?

It's the size of a tradional play pen and you can just put in different toys to keep her busy so that you can get something done.

Playpens are not bad...I played in one til I was 18 months old. I was the youngest of 4 and both parents worked outside the home--so when they were home they had stuff to do and couldn't always have someone follow me around.

Susan

menfusse

I have a pack and play, and I have also barracaded her in the livingroom with a blanket covered chair (my house is too open for baby gates). She cries in both instead of just giving up and playing, the stubborn little booger. The problem with that is that she has bad reflux and aspirates. If she cries for even a few minutes she vomits and chokes. We have too many pneumonia's already for a little one. I am sure this has contributed to her clinginess. I saw that play wall last night in my search for the perfect toy. I think that would be right up her alley. I also saw the Learning Home. I think she would like that too. It has doors and windows to open and crawl through, and lots of gadgets to fiddle with. So I am going back and forth between which one I think she would get the most play out of. This stuff ain't cheap!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I bought the FP Learning Home for my daycare kids, and it's wonderful. Kids of all ages, even up to 4, have really enjoyed it. It's educational too!! The only drawback to it, is assembly. It took me forever, and I'm very handy. But, once it was together, it was so worth it.

Also, I got mine for $30...brand new. :D We have a little store in my town called Finders Keepers...and they carry new items that were store returns. There was nothing missing in mine...all parts present & accounted for! My guess is, someone saw all the screws and said forget it! LOL

So, if you have a store like that...you might want to check there first! LOL

LEAW

Sounds like my kid... :)

I ended up just putting her in a backpack to get the things done around here, laundry, dishes, etc.

she would never tolerate being left alone UNTIL we discovered the "signing time" videos (signingtime.com) and she WILL watch these. I would put her in a high chair and give her something to play with, start the video, run ot the laundry, run back.

She's 18 months now and can sign probably 200 words, and still does't really tolerate being left alone much, though her reflux has nearly gone away.

menfusse

lisa2976 said:
Sounds like my kid... :)

I ended up just putting her in a backpack to get the things done around here, laundry, dishes, etc.

she would never tolerate being left alone UNTIL we discovered the "signing time" videos (signingtime.com) and she WILL watch these. I would put her in a high chair and give her something to play with, start the video, run ot the laundry, run back.

She's 18 months now and can sign probably 200 words, and still does't really tolerate being left alone much, though her reflux has nearly gone away.
Oh yeah, she spends a lot of time in a sling. But it is getting old and my back isn't holding up well anymore. So that is why I was hoping for a toy. I have tried Baby E dvd's. The signing one's sound great. I may have to give one a try.

BrookeSLP

I'd say at only 7 months to put her in a sling. I wouldn't expect independent play for another 5-7 months at least. A ergo, mai tai may work well for you.
I wore both of mine in a pouch type sling (like www.hotslings.com) until they hit about 15 months or so.

Brooke

menfusse

BrookeSLP said:
I'd say at only 7 months to put her in a sling. I wouldn't expect independent play for another 5-7 months at least. A ergo, mai tai may work well for you.
I wore both of mine in a pouch type sling (like www.hotslings.com) until they hit about 15 months or so.

Brooke
I have a native baby sling and wear her often, but I need a break...know what I mean? It is starting to wear on my back, and I have pre existing hip issues as well. I don't expect her to spend the whole day playing happily alone, but I am trying to find something that might hold her attention for a few 10 or 15 min. stretches throughout the day. I think that her body is ahead of her mental development. She is even standing alone already. I think this is causing conflict in her little developing brain. Also, I had my easy child first. We did have independent play from her around 8 months. She sat happily for extended periods of time playing with blocks or push toys and such. So I am lost when it comes to this kid. I did find that she likes my pots and pans tonight. She played with those and a big wooden spoon long enough for me to clean the kitchen around her. So maybe I am off the hook for a big expensive toy. I will just give the kid pots and pans...lol.

skaterbabs

Joyjoy was like that - we got a lot of use from our exersaucer. lol I have a picture of her at 6 mos where she'd pulled up to standing using a chair.

menfusse

Thanks guys! You have all given my some great ideas. My first one walked at 9 months, but she was a much more calm and content baby. She just kind of hung out in the livingroom and played. She did get into the cabinets later on, but I had them cleared out for her. Emily is just very active and high strung. She has been pulling up for a month now, and in the past few days she has stood up straight out of a crawl...with out pulling up on anything! She will be walking by 8 months if she keeps this up! She is so tiny too, it looks odd. She is only about 25 1/2 inches tall and 14 1/2 lbs.

Dh brought her home some kind of toy that uses air to shoot balls up into the air and it plays music. She seemed to like it for a little while, then it became something to pull up on and it isn't sturdy enough. So now she is just ticked off by it! Crazy kid. I am just going to have to go to Toys R Us and search for something. See if something seems to catch her attention. We shall see.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC