Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Exclamation Are European infant car seats REALLY illegal in the US?

I had my first baby in Germany so I bought a European stroller and infant car seat that meet the EU regulations. Now I am about to have my second child and I live in the US. I was planning on using my European infant car seat but I also wondered whether or not it was legal here. It does not have a chest clip.

I see many replies that state it is illegal. Can someone post the source/reference to support this claim? I have not had any luck searching on the internet.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member
    What state are you in? Most (possibly all) states require car seats to meet federal standards. If you read your state law, you will likely see this.

CPS Technician
    http://www.snuglbuds.com/carseat.htm

Scroll about a third of the way down

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Senior Community Member
    Example of Michigan's law:

257.710d Child restraint system required; exceptions; violation as civil infraction; points;
    abstract; exemption by rules; alternate means of protection.
    Sec. 710d.
    (1) Except as provided in this section, or as otherwise provided by law, a rule promulgated
    pursuant to the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328, or
    federal regulation, each driver transporting a child less than 4 years of age in a motor vehicle
    shall properly secure that child in a child restraint system that meets the standards prescribed in
    49 C.F.R. 571.213.
    Here's the link to C.F.R. 571.213:
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...ART=&TYPE=TEXT

I haven't been able to find any import laws on car seats, but I haven't looked too hard, either. However, the state laws say it needs to meet federal standards anyway.