RF AO Elite in MPV 2002

sixmaybemore

I have a parent that is having some trouble getting her AO RF for her 11 mo. He's currently in an infant seat, but has less than an inch of space so she needs to switch to the convertible. Captains chairs are in the row directly behind the driver, and when she puts the AO in she has to push the front seat directly up next to the airbag, leaving no space. Additionally, she transports some older kids after school, so there *will be a kid sitting up front occasionally.

For the time being, I've advised her that she can put the seat at a higher recline because of the age of the baby. Any other ideas? I'm not hands on, this is being done long distance.

Thanks for any help!

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Has she taken the base off of the seat? That generally gives you more room and a much better & easier install. Instructions for removing the base are in the booster section (it's safe to use the seat harnessed w/o the base).

sixmaybemore

I forgot to recommend taking off the base. Thanks for the idea!

It's a lot harder to do this long distance, I seem not to remember as much as I do when I'm not looking at it in person.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The RA will work. We had a rental MPV (2006?) when we went to FL and we used the RA rf behind the driver for DS2. I don't remember if the captains chair in our rental had fore/aft adjustments. I just know that DH didn't have any problems moving the drivers seat back to a comfortable position with the rf RA behind him. The one problem that we did have had to do with the sliding doors. They didn't slide open as far as most minivan doors do (at least that particular model) and that made it difficult to load and unload a rf child. Initially I thought the darn door was broken but then I realized that the other side had the same issue. I remember thinking how glad I was that I only had to deal with it for a week.

Kecia

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
In my 2001 MPV, the captains' chairs would slide fore/aft. However, her van should also have the "magic" seat. Her passenger side captains chair should slide toward the center of the car, essentially making a 2nd row bench. She should be able to get pretty much any seat in that position, with the back of the carseat between the driver and passenger.

Hope that helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC