So... WWYD?

Blondie87

Since I am a foster mom, I get new kids alot. I only take 2 at a time, and my 2 year old will be leaving on Friday to Grandmas. So I should get a child shortly after that. I only take 1-3 (for now- soon to be 0-3). They DO call me and say '"We have Bobby here and he is 2 years old... etc." But you, or they, have no idea what they actually weigh and stuff.

Sometimes they will drop the child off at my house, but most of the time I will go to the DHS building and pick up the child. (so far 2/3) Should I install the seat RF or FF when I go to pick them up? Obviously I will be able to tell if they can RF by height.. but should I bring my scale and weigh them by my car before I put them in the car? Then reinstall it based on that? When I picked up M, I had his seat FF, and then later at home I switched it to RF when I knew his weight and everything.

What do you ladies think I should do?

ADS

ginny4

i think i would have it installed FF then when get home weigh & measure them & switch to RF if you can. at age 2-3 i think it's safe neough to FF for a small trip even if under 35lbs

Pixels

Do you have access to medical records? If it's in the bundle of paperwork that I assume you get when you get a kid, maybe you can look up what they weighed at last check to give you a good guess.

For a 2-year-old, I'd be fine with FFing on the way home until you can check weight. Under that, I'd rather RF. Do you think you could even make a decent guess just by lifting them? Or you could go the total carseat nut route, and take a scale :D

TXAggieTech

You'll get good enough to guess unless it is really close.

Our first stop with new placements was our vet's office. They had a scale in their lobby and are about a mile from my house. They always were the first to know when we got new kiddos!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I always just left the EFTA RF because there was a good chance the child was under 35 pounds. I would always leave the kids at home for the pickup though, so if need be we could put them in DD's FF seat

Blondie87

If the child is over 2 I guess I'll just have it FF until I can weigh them, if they are under 2 I will have it RF and they figure out the details later.

When I get a child, I get a folder with their details- name, bday, parents, reason for being in care, plan, etc. And a temporary medical card and then a letter saying that they are in my care (to take to WIC). That's it. I have to make a doctors appointment within 30 days and a WIC asap, so I find out the details of medical stuff there.

I could take a scale tho... but I think the caseworker would think I am NUTS! :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Since 35# is 90 percentile for 3 year olds, I'd install rfing. Bring a scale and weigh if the child feels heavier than 35, and do not worry if the case worker thinks you're nuts.Most likely they'll just think you are trying hard to do your best with the kiddo. You can always reinstall ffing if needed. You would probably need to redo a ffing install anyway to adjust the harness height.

Blondie87

I have 2 Boulevards and a True Fit (well I will tomorrow). I know with the Boulevard I can adjust the harness RF and FF, not sure if I can adjust the True Fit FF without uninstalling it. lol.. I will keep them both installed RF.. :rolleyes:

armywife12

I have 2 Boulevards and a True Fit (well I will tomorrow). I know with the Boulevard I can adjust the harness RF and FF, not sure if I can adjust the True Fit FF without uninstalling it. lol.. I will keep them both installed RF.. :rolleyes:

You should be able to adjust the harness up or down in the true Fit without having to uninstall the seat. My son is rear facing and I can change the harness height without removing him from the seat even..lol. Since the adjuster is on the side I don't see why you would have to uninstall the seat. Good luck and it is so great what you do !

Pixels

FWIW, if kiddo is over state minimums, I have a feeling that they would be FFing in a DHS van, which may or may not have proper seats. So even if they are borderline, just being in your vehicle in properly installed seats is probably a step up in safety, even if you FF them when they could still be RF.

Blondie87

FWIW, if kiddo is over state minimums, I have a feeling that they would be FFing in a DHS van, which may or may not have proper seats. So even if they are borderline, just being in your vehicle in properly installed seats is probably a step up in safety, even if you FF them when they could still be RF.

Yeah... we have a whole other thread about this.. lol. J, my 16 month old, FF in the DHS van when he is picked up twice a month (and has been since I got him at 13 months). Not in a great seat either.. :(

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

In which case, think of the good example you are setting, and how putting them rfing might lead to an opportunity to pass on information.

scoutingbear

Another foster mom here. I agree with starting with the seat FF then change it when you get home if you are doing the pick up. If your regs are anything like ours, we have to do a height and weight ASAP on the kiddos so it won't be long before you know anyway. You can then adjust the seat accordingly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC