EFTA or Symphony....head rest wings make a difference?

sptddog

DS (13 months, 22lbs) is currently in an older EFTA (the ones rated to 40lbs), and I love the seat. We were in an accident Saturday night, and I know I want my seats replaced, even though there is no visible damage to them. I think insurance will cover it (at least his, because he was in it - not sure about DD's Nautilus, because she wasn't in it).

Question is do I get an EFTAs again, or look at the symphony, because of the headrest w/ wings? I don't intend to use either seat much past 40lbs or so because at that point I'd probably put him in the Nautilus. And I know the EFTA is side impact tested, I wonder if the 'wings' on the symphony would be more beneficial? Both kids sit outboard in a Nissan Armada with side impact airbags. My other issue is I'm not sure I'll like the new latching system on it, but if the headrest is beneficial, then I'll deal with the latching system.

TIA

ADS

purple826

The Triumphs rated to 40pounds are not the "Advance" model. All "Advance" ones are rated to 35 rear-facing and 50 forward-facing. :)

I would pick the Advance over the Symphony - mostly because it lasts longer RF and FF.

Advance harnesses 10pounds longer FF and has a taller shell than the Symphony so it lasts longer RF too. The Symphony also has closed belt guides in booster mode - that means they're like slots. Seatbelts don't always retract smoothly in that type of guide. Evenflo tried w/ the Symphony but just didn't cut it, imo.

Your DS could easily remain RF in the Advance until 2yrs old, maybe longer :) .

As the the accident...
Go Mom knowing that the seats do need to be replaced!
If insurance gives you any grief, you can always email the manufactuers of the carseats - they can give you statements for ins. saying the seats need to be replaced.
Or you can always ask that ins give you a statement saying they'll be liable if anything happens ;) . I've heard that works pretty well.

Jenifer

At 13 months old, I would continue to keep him rf. The new EFTA harnesses rf to 35# and best practice is to keep kiddos rf as long as possible!

The new EFTA harnesses ff to 50#, whereas your older model EFT and the Symphony only harness to 40#.

You can install outboard with LATCH or seatbelts, as long as your vehicle is LATCH equipped! One is not better than the other. LATCH was supposed to make installs easier - - not always the case though.

So I would go with a convertible seat the rf and ff with higher weight limits to keep your baby as safe as possible for his age and weight.

sptddog

He's def still going to be RF in either seat for quite a while :)...I just know that when he reaches the RF weight limit and turns, I'll want the Nautilus. Mostly because at 35lbs, DD was just huge in her older Triumph - she actually outgrew it in height before weight. Her legs didn't hang the same as they do in the Nautilus, and she wasn't as comfy. Plus, at 3.5 when I switched her, she was all about wanting a 'big girl seat' like my uneducated (okay, that's mean! :p) friends who had their kids in Graco High Back Boosters. The Nautilus pleased her because it looked like the others, and pleased me because she's harnessed. I assume desire to be in a 'big kid seat' will affect DS by the time he reaches the 35# RF weight limit, hence I'll probably turn him and grant him the super privledge of a new big kid seat that pleases Mama. :D.

I'm mostly wondering if the headrest wings make any difference in an accident vs the no wings on the EFTA? They seem to stick up more, thus protecting the head better?

christineka

If you are just going to move to the nautilus for ffing just get the efta because it is nearly half the price of the symphony.

Or perhaps look around for some other great rfing seat? Maybe the True Fit or Safety first avenue.

littleangelfire

Just thought I'd pipe up - not to deter you from the Nautilus at all, b/c I really like it, however, its owrth mentioning that MOST kids, if I remember correctly, outgrew the original Triumph (which is what you have) by height before weight. My son did. He outgrew it at just over 30lbs. b/c he was too tall - the old Triumphs had short shells. So a new one would not be outgrown as soon, the shell is taller, and the top slots higher.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC