Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Canadian Techs and Future Techs...LATCH Manuals

There's a LATCH manual thread going in the Tech forum, but I realize that a lot of Canadians are planning on becoming technicians and do not yet have access to this forum. If you do, and you're interested in obtaining the next version of the LATCH manual then please go and let this be known. If you are not yet a tech and would still like a copy of the LATCH manual when it comes out in the new year, you can let me know here.

Right now I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on how many LATCH manuals we'll be ordering, so I can start planning envelopes and possibly automating this whole process. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I can set up a database to manage the names and addresses of everyone who needs to be sent a manual.

We're looking at $23ish US for the manual plus shipping. I have no idea how much shipping costs to Canada are yet, but I will eventually find out

Crunchie is organizing the money/names side of things, and I will be driving to SRN (they're Seattle-ish, so about 1.5 hours from me) to pick up the manuals so we do not have to pay to have them all shipped twice. This will save everyone a couple of dollars.

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Canadian Techs and Future Techs...LATCH Manuals

I'd like one
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Carseat Crazy

I just decided to take a tech course at the end of February. Do you get the LATCH manual when you do the course? If not, I'm afraid I don't know enough about it to know whether I want one - do I? I'm assuming it would be a good thing to have...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyd View Post
    I just decided to take a tech course at the end of February. Do you get the LATCH manual when you do the course? If not, I'm afraid I don't know enough about it to know whether I want one - do I? I'm assuming it would be a good thing to have...
    it would be good to have. From what I understand it lists the makes and models of cars and the capabilities of LATCH in them. Whether you can use center LATCH borrowing and such. Does that make sense? I am sure a tech will chime in though. As far as I know you don't get them with the course.

Nicole - I would like one. Problem is lack of money right now. When do you need the money?
    Misty
    SAHM to Cooper, 04/16/06 and Aurora, 06/25/11

Since they won't be out until Jan-Feb, we won't need the money until the New Year. As for whether or not you need one as a tech--I think it does make your life quite a bit easier. It's easier to consult the LATCH manual versus flip through the seatbelt section of the vehicle manual when you're doing a check. It also has some information that is not contained within the vehicle manual, such as LATCH weight limits, non-standard spacing, anchor borrowing, seating position restrictions, tether anchor part numbers, manufacturer bulletins, etc. I call it my "Tech Bible".

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.

CPS Technician

Hi. I have been lurking mostly on here for a while. I just finished the CRST training today. I would like a LATCH manual.... can I only get it through you? Just curious where they come from etc as I am new. Also, how do I access the tech forum... or can I? Thanks!

Safe Ride News publishes the LATCH manual every two years. They're just outside of Seattle, which is how/why I'm picking them up. I think crunchie and I will put up a database entry form for everyone to plunk their information into for ordering, but in the meantime we'll just try to get a headcount since the # of manuals we order dictates the final pricing.

Nationally certified CRSTs (this means the St. John's Ambulance course) can get CPS Tech status and access to the tech forum with verification of their certificate. Once you get your certificate, send me Trudy, Tam or myself a PM and we will let you know what needs to be done.

-Nicole.

Carseat Crazy

Doesn't sound like they will be too expensive, so add me to your head count.

I forget to check in here all the time, but count me in too One of these days I will get myself into the tech forum

Mara