How to use an AO as a booster.

Kristy00

Long story short, we've gotten an AO from FIL. FIL says the seat is new, but there was no box and no instruction booklet. :thumbsdown: I told DH I am not a fan of using the seat, but he insists it is fine and FIL wouldn't give us anything that wasn't properly taken care of. :(

DH would like to use the seat in his truck, but since DS is over 40 lbs, it will have to be used as a booster. (Again, not a fan of this at all) How do we even do this? Just pull the harness straps out? The AO seems to be in some sort of base - do I leave it, or do I remove it? I looked for the instruction booklet online and found the costco site and emailed for a book but I haven't heard anything from them. Can anyone help -either with instructions or advice on how to get out of using the seat?

ADS

cpsaddict

With the AO, you need to move the headrest all the way up, remove the harness and remove the base. Also, check to make sure the lap belt portion is not riding up to high on DS. The AO makes a craptastic booster and causes the lap portion to ride to high on the abdomen.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The best way would be not to. It tends to make a terrible booster. But it sounds like you might already know that.

I believe the base needs to be taken off for booster mode. If it has the belt guides that are really small, you don't have to use them if you don't need to. In fact, it's often better if you don't. Sometimes a kid will lean forward, and then the belt gets stuck and can't retract back, leaving a ton of slack.

I would definitely put your child in the seat to see how the belt fits. If the lap portion doesn't sit low on his hips (touching his thighs--not over his tummy) or if the shoulder portion crosses his neck or off his shoulder, it's not a good fit and you'll need something else.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Look on the back of the seat...it will have a "Do Not Use After December XXXX" on it. What's the year? If it's expired, you can't use it.

Can you find a model number to check it for recalls?

In the recent booster study, this booster performed badly. It generally doesn't fit children well(any child really). To fit properly the shoulder belt should like flat against the child's collar bone about 1/2 between their neck and shoulder and the lapbelt should sit low on the lap. Usually this seat holds the shoulder belt AWAY from the body and allows the lapbelt to ride high on the abdomen.

Also how old is your child?

Susan

Kristy00

Look on the back of the seat...it will have a "Do Not Use After December XXXX" on it. What's the year? If it's expired, you can't use it.

Can you find a model number to check it for recalls?

In the recent booster study, this booster performed badly. It generally doesn't fit children well(any child really). To fit properly the shoulder belt should like flat against the child's collar bone about 1/2 between their neck and shoulder and the lapbelt should sit low on the lap. Usually this seat holds the shoulder belt AWAY from the body and allows the lapbelt to ride high on the abdomen.

Also how old is your child?

Susan

The DOM was March 08, so it isn't too old but not brand new either. (The first thing I checked was the expiry - it was an easy out that DH understands)

DS is just about to turn 4 - he is 43lbs and I'm not sure on height. I'd rather not be using a booster at all, but I'm in Canada and our options (both for high weight/height limit, and to fit our budget) are pretty slim. This seat would only be used for occasional trips in DH's truck. (Which bothers me even more with him in the front seat...)

If it's really, truly new and you trust FIL, sell it and get him a better booster seat. :twocents:

I do trust FIL, but I'm not sure if it is really, truely new. It was obviously bought earlier this year, but I am not sure if it was used or not. The latch connectors were still encased in plastic so if it was used, they must have used the belts. I would love to sell it but it was a gift and DH thinks FIL will be offended if we don't use it. (Part of the problem ie: Why DH insists on using it)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I understand that your DH doesn't want to offend his dad, but your son's safety trumps all. At his age, he is MUCH safer harnessed than in a booster, though I know the options (especially affordable ones) in Canada are slim. Perhaps a Canadian tech will be able to chime in with some options for you.

If you MUST use a booster, I would really get one that tends to work better with most kids. Print out the information for DH about how the seatbelt needs to fit, and then show him how your DS (likely) doesn't fit well.

Then it's just a matter of saying, "FIL, thank you so much for the seat! Unfortunately, it wasn't the right size for DS." He wouldn't expect your DS to wear a gift of clothing that didn't fit, right? This is the same thing...only way more important.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would *not* use a booster for a not quite 4 year old... especially the AO. A booster only lifts the child up to assist with proper seatbelt placement. It does *not* keep the child in place. Since the brain synapses that govern impulse control do not develop until age 5 - 6 years old, it's highly likely that your child will not sit still in the booster and is at great risk of being injured (or even killed) in a collision.

The other issue with the AO as a booster is that it is very short. If the tips/top of your child's ears are above the AO's hard shell, then he has outgrown it in booster mode and can not use this seat. At almost 4 years old, it's possible he's already outgrown the seat in booster mode as well or very close to it.

I would get an Evenflo Visons/Chase/Traditions or Evenflo Bolero/Generations (between $100 - $150 depending on which padding level you go with - at Zellers/Walmart/Toys R Us/Sears)... harnesses to 47lbs, makes an okay/decent booster.

At his age, those 4lbs could take awhile to gain. In the meantime, he's still harnessed (which he *needs* at his age in order to be safe) and you won't have broken the bank to do it. :)

The other option IF the vehicle has head restraints... is the Safety 1st Apex. This seat *MUST* have vehicle head restraints/support behind the seat, so double check that it installs well with the vehicle head restraints in place. This seat harnesses to 65lbs and makes a decent booster seat afterwards. It can be found at Toys R Us for $180.

canadianmom2three

How to get out of using the seat - - show DH and FIL the Kyle David Miller video on youtube. I don't know how anyone could watch that and agree that a not yet 4year old should ride in a booster....
Even if FIL doesn't agree, tell him it's not that you don't appreciate his gift, it's just that now that you've seen the video, you just don't feel right having your DS in a booster.
Sell the AO on your local swap site, or have FIL take it back. The harnessed seats that the pp suggested are great, and if you can sell the AO for $50 or $75 even, then that could go toward the purchase price of a new seat - the Chase is $99 at TRU.

Kristy00

If you MUST use a booster, I would really get one that tends to work better with most kids. Print out the information for DH about how the seatbelt needs to fit, and then show him how your DS (likely) doesn't fit well.

Then it's just a matter of saying, "FIL, thank you so much for the seat! Unfortunately, it wasn't the right size for DS." He wouldn't expect your DS to wear a gift of clothing that didn't fit, right? This is the same thing...only way more important.

This is a great way to put it!! Thank you!!!

I would *not* use a booster for a not quite 4 year old... especially the AO. A booster only lifts the child up to assist with proper seatbelt placement. It does *not* keep the child in place. Since the brain synapses that govern impulse control do not develop until age 5 - 6 years old, it's highly likely that your child will not sit still in the booster and is at great risk of being injured (or even killed) in a collision.

The other issue with the AO as a booster is that it is very short. If the tips/top of your child's ears are above the AO's hard shell, then he has outgrown it in booster mode and can not use this seat. At almost 4 years old, it's possible he's already outgrown the seat in booster mode as well or very close to it.

I would get an Evenflo Visons/Chase/Traditions or Evenflo Bolero/Generations (between $100 - $150 depending on which padding level you go with - at Zellers/Walmart/Toys R Us/Sears)... harnesses to 47lbs, makes an okay/decent booster.

At his age, those 4lbs could take awhile to gain. In the meantime, he's still harnessed (which he *needs* at his age in order to be safe) and you won't have broken the bank to do it. :)

The other option IF the vehicle has head restraints... is the Safety 1st Apex. This seat *MUST* have vehicle head restraints/support behind the seat, so double check that it installs well with the vehicle head restraints in place. This seat harnesses to 65lbs and makes a decent booster seat afterwards. It can be found at Toys R Us for $180.

I honestly don't know if the harnessed seats you have suggested will fit. I'm not too worried about the weight, but DS is currently in a Platinum cargo with less than 1/2 an inch to go on the top slots. From looking at the thread over in Canadian chat, those seats have the same or less top harness height. Right now the plan is to buy DS a nautilus as soon as they become available. If he outgrows the cargo before then, he will use DD's TF.

I actually do not have much concern with DS sitting still in the booster in *this* situation. This seat will be used rarely and only for very short distances and I think the novelty of it will keep DS still and in place. If it were his regular seat or for a longer trip there is no way I would consider it. I guess I am looking at it as a way to teach him how to behave in a booster before it becomes his main seat.

How to get out of using the seat - - show DH and FIL the Kyle David Miller video on youtube. I don't know how anyone could watch that and agree that a not yet 4year old should ride in a booster....
Even if FIL doesn't agree, tell him it's not that you don't appreciate his gift, it's just that now that you've seen the video, you just don't feel right having your DS in a booster.
Sell the AO on your local swap site, or have FIL take it back. The harnessed seats that the pp suggested are great, and if you can sell the AO for $50 or $75 even, then that could go toward the purchase price of a new seat - the Chase is $99 at TRU.

Selling it/returning it are not an option. FIL aquired it through his second-hand business so if anyone sells it, it will be FIL through his shop.

The Kyle David Miller video is a good idea - although DH is already well aware of my preference to keep DS harnessed and why. He just thinks that the boosters available wouldn't have the limits they do if it wasn't safe - ie: DS is perfectly safe in a booster, just safer in a harness.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
He just thinks that the boosters available wouldn't have the limits they do if it wasn't safe - ie: DS is perfectly safe in a booster, just safer in a harness.

They have the limits they do for children like my son... 40lbs dead even at 6.5 years old. ;) They are not meant for 40lbs, 3 yr olds. :)

If he's only got 1/2 an inch left in the Cargo, then those seats won't provide more (if any) growing room... although in a truck, the seat may fit differently. ie. more upright, which will give you more torso growing room... so I'd check that out by installing his seat in the truck to see just how much (if any) extra torso growing room he has in the truck.

If it's so far and few between, is there any way to move the Cargo to the truck for when he needs it in there?

If you need another seat, I'd still much rather see you get one of the previously mentioned harnessed seats... even if it does only have 1/2" harnessing left. It could take him a few months - year to grow that last 1/2" of torso at this age. Better to spend the money on a harnessed seat than a booster seat (which would cost about the same as the $99 Chase).

Kristy00

They have the limits they do for children like my son... 40lbs dead even at 6.5 years old. ;) They are not meant for 40lbs, 3 yr olds. :)

If he's only got 1/2 an inch left in the Cargo, then those seats won't provide more (if any) growing room... although in a truck, the seat may fit differently. ie. more upright, which will give you more torso growing room... so I'd check that out by installing his seat in the truck to see just how much (if any) extra torso growing room he has in the truck.

If it's so far and few between, is there any way to move the Cargo to the truck for when he needs it in there?

If you need another seat, I'd still much rather see you get one of the previously mentioned harnessed seats... even if it does only have 1/2" harnessing left. It could take him a few months - year to grow that last 1/2" of torso at this age. Better to spend the money on a harnessed seat than a booster seat (which would cost about the same as the $99 Chase).

I think I've just about got DH convinced we can not use this seat - thanks to you ladies! He still isn't convinced we can't just use a booster, but at least he understands that the AO isn't the booster to be using, KWIM?

Moving the Cargo is an option if it is really needed. I have a very, very hard time getting the Cargo secure in our van (must go with the belt in the 3rd row) and once I finally get it in, I hate to move it. Also, now that it is regularly -15 or colder I'd rather not be fooling around with seats changing them in and out of vehicles in the middle of parking lots. ;)

Where can I find the $99 Chase?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Where can I find the $99 Chase?

I hear you on the cold factor! :D

The $99 Chase is at Toys R Us right now...http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...&cp=2582967.3021052.3021052&parentPage=family

They don't have a picture of it up, but it looks exactly like the Traditions (just no extra cushion inserts)...http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...&cp=2582967.3021052.3021052&parentPage=family

There is also the Generations for $140... I think the top slots are a touch taller and it makes a better booster...http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...&cp=2582967.3021052.3021052&parentPage=family

The less padded version of the Generations is called the Bolero... Walmart has it for $119 (I think that's the right price).

northernmommy

You could also wait for the True Fit to go on sale again for $149 at Zellers, it should be doing so soon, as it's been a while!

ETA: Our Walmart has the Chase for $87, so you might want to check there before you buy one from TRU. Though it doesn't have very high harness slots, and makes a right crappy booster...probably not the seat I'd choose :twocents:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Give ds, dd's True Fit and let her use the AO rear facing.

This is the best suggestion and costs you nothing. ;)

DS gets a Cargo and True Fit (one for each vehicle) and DD gets the AO rear facing. It does make a nice rear facing seat. :)

Kristy00

Give ds, dd's True Fit and let her use the AO rear facing.

This is the best suggestion and costs you nothing. ;)

DS gets a Cargo and True Fit (one for each vehicle) and DD gets the AO rear facing. It does make a nice rear facing seat. :)

Ducking the tomatoes here, but I don't think I could have DD RF. Don't get me wrong, I would love to, but if both her and DS2 are RF in the second row there is no way for me to get to the 3rd row to buckle DS1. I was going to put DS2 and DS1 in the third row, but I couldn't get an acceptible install with the two of them side by side. (DS1 has to go in the middle position because that is the only one with a rear tether (mandatory in Canada) which leaves barely any room outboard on either side) I then tried DD and DS2 in the 3rd row, but that didn't work either. I had a horrible time trying to buckle in DD upside down (since there was no room for me to go beside the seat) and I coudn't get a good install RF with the seatbelt (no latch). When I would buckle in DD I couldn't help to lean on the seat, which would then rotate within the belt path because of my weight on the back. Does that make sense? It's off the purpose of the thread, but if anyone has any tips to keep DD rear facing and get acceptible installs, please let me know!!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm sorry but I couldn't follow you there.

I know tethers are mandatory in Canada, but rear facing tethers are not.

Even if you absolutely cannot rear face her - she can still use the AO in harness mode and your ds can use the True Fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC