Question Is it bad to overtighten harness straps?

purplemama

I can never figure out how tight to get the harness. I've tried the pinch test and I can never pinch it so I'm pretty sure I have it tight enough. But when we got home from the store today I looked at his shoulders and he had red marks. When I tighten he kinda grunts but he doesn't like getting in the car seat. So I don't know if he's being his usual self or I'm squishing him. I'm thinking too tight but I'm SOOOO paranoid about having everything right with his seat.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As long as you can't pinch you're fine. It sounds like you have him too tightly. I don't know that harm would come of it, other than the marks and discomfort and dislike, but it's not doing any additional good.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If you push the harness release, and the straps loosen by themselves as the kid decompresses, the harness is too tight.

skaterbabs

Yep. My 12 yo often helps by putting Joy into her seat - but he does over-tighten the harness occasionally. (Better than the alternative, I say!) I just pull the release lever and have Joy wiggle a bit, then I give the adjuster strap a light tug.

ilo

I probably also over tighten. I have very small fingers and I can always get them in between DD and the harness. I use to tighten it as tight as I can get it and i guess DD is use to it. Now when I joined here I read about the pinch test. As I'm so use to very tight harness the one that can not be pinched seems very loose to me. I'm trying to get better so it would be more comfortable for her.

I'm just so paranoid about car safety. It takes me twice as much time to secure DD in the car that other mommy's take to secure their 2-3 kids!!!!!

MustangMama

I probably also over tighten. I have very small fingers and I can always get them in between DD and the harness. I use to tighten it as tight as I can get it and i guess DD is use to it. Now when I joined here I read about the pinch test. As I'm so use to very tight harness the one that can not be pinched seems very loose to me. I'm trying to get better so it would be more comfortable for her.

I'm just so paranoid about car safety. It takes me twice as much time to secure DD in the car that other mommy's take to secure their 2-3 kids!!!!!

SO I just always tighten it pretty tight, what is correct? She if FF in a Graco Nautilus. Is it ok to be a little loose as long as I can't "pinch an inch"?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, if you can pinch an inch it's WAY too much. If you can pinch anything you need to tighten it more. But just to the point where you can't pinch anything. Not to the point of cutting off bloodflow to the arms.

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Pinching less than an inch is more of a dieting and weight loss thing. :) Ideally you wouldn't be able to pinch any slack in the harness. The link that was posted up above to Defrost's article about the pinch test illustrates it really well at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=49030 :) Oops, slower typing and pokey internet connectivity = delayed cross posting with Wendy.

MustangMama

Pinching less than an inch is more of a dieting and weight loss thing. :) Ideally you wouldn't be able to pinch any slack in the harness. The link that was posted up above to Defrost's article about the pinch test illustrates it really well at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=49030 :) Oops, slower typing and pokey internet connectivity = delayed cross posting with Wendy.

AHhhhhhhhhh gotcha! I must have skipped over that part of the thread. :whistle:Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC