Outgrown FF seat question

AutumnMama

My DS is about 1/4-1/2" above the top slots in his current carseat. We've been waiting for our tax return to get him a new seat, but for a few different reasons it got delayed and I'm not entirely sure when we'll have it (hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks, but it's the govt, so who knows :rolleyes: ).

My question is: how unsafe is it for my DS to be in his outgrown carseat?
It's obviously not the best situation, but is it actually dangerous?
We might be able to put the new seat on a CC, but I'd rather not if I don't really need to, kwim?
At the same time, I would hate to be compromising his safety for that reason.

So is it really unsafe/dangerous, or can I 'get away with it' for a little longer?

ADS

Ahzryn

I don't remember what the exact ratio is, but the more he is above the slots, the greater his head excursion and chance or striking something in the car in a crash. So, yes, it really is very dangerous. At the slots is pushing it, over is bad ground to be on.

I'm not fond of credit cards either, but it's a situation where he needs to be in another seat right away, even if his weight is below the limit. What seat were you planning on purchasing? Maybe we can suggest a cheaper stopgap seat that can be used as a travel seat later and last you until you can purchase the seat you wanted.

I know, not what you wanted to hear :(

Tam
CPST

AutumnMama

Thanks for the info :)
I was planning on getting him an Intera (have to fit 3 across in our car, otherwise he'd be getting a Blvd or Regent), so not terribly expensive.
Just have to make it work!

U

Unregistered

What about?

How much does he weigh? Could he be turned back rearfacing until you get him a new seat?

B

bucket2

Unregistered said:
How much does he weigh? Could he be turned back rearfacing until you get him a new seat?

I'd bet not, if he's past the top harness slots, his head is also likely close to or above the top of the seat itself. (You need at least 1.5" - 2" RF for ride down).

my3girls

Graco also doesn't allow you to use the top slots for RF. Why? I have no freakin idea, but that's what the manual says!

kelly

I'd guess you can't use the top slots for RF (in Evenflo, old FP's, too) because they are worried the head would be able to slide above and out of the shell in an accident. Especially in some of those REALLY short shelled seats.

Its moot though, because OP's son is over the weight limit for RF in his current seat anyways. :)

(edited for clarity)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC