Any idea what Make/Model this van is?

Ahzryn

Can anyone ID the van make and model in the attached picture? This was a local crash this morning, driver was killed when the driver's seat broke and she was thrown into the back of the van during a rollover. She was wearing her seatbelt.

I've zoomed and squinted and looked at a couple different pictures, but I just can't tell what it is/was.

http://www.whiotv.com/image/9498464/detail.html

Tam
CPST

ADS

Dillipop

Chevy Venture, Pontiac Montana, or Oldsmobile Silhouette. They are all the same...one of those would be my guess.

Ahzryn

Hmmn, that's two votes for Chevy van then, that's what I was thinking.

I just know I've read/heard somewhere before about a driver's seat tending to break in crashes, but now I can't remember for the life of me where it was. It's driving me nuts :(

Tam

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
How sad, and the seat collapsing and ejecting a driver wearing her seatbelt is extra scary. :(

The wide molding along the side is a good clue for the Olds or Pontiac minivans. Pontiacs tend to have the biggest body side molding for some reason. I had an '88 Grand Am with huge molding on the sides and it was a great trap for dirt, road salt and moisture.

I've heard of the driver's seat collapsing backwards in some vehicles when they were rear ended. A couple of years ago in my area, a mom driving her Saturn was rear ended and her driver's seat collapsed. IIRC, the mom survived the crash but her young daughter riding in the back seat was killed. Another daughter in the back seat survived the crash. It was right around Christmas time and the mom and her daughters were on their way to go Christmas shopping.

My BIL also was rear ended in his Saturn SL1 several years ago by a teenager driving a Dodge Ram pickup. BIL's driver's seat collapsed backward and he was knocked out. He had a concussion and does not remember the actual crash happening. He remembers leaving work for the day and then waking up in the hospital. Fortunately he was otherwise okay. We were also glad he didn't have any rear seat passengers because they would have been severely injured or worse by the collapsing front seat and my 6+ feet tall BIL landing on them. :eek:

Splash

I vote GM as well. No wonder those scored so low on safety. I believe it was consumer reports who said that the Pontiac Montana was the worst vehicle they had ever tested that is still sold... I know CR sucks at car seats but their car info is normally pretty good.
I am SO GLAD the bank raised my interest rate at the last minute otherwise we would own a Montana SV6 right now (this was a few years ago, before I really researched car safety).

ccjones

I am going to throw a wrench in things and suggest it could be a Chevy Uplander. Someone here at work has one, so I see it out on the parking lot daily. The body style and the wheels in that picture look very similar to the Uplander.

Here's a link to the Uplander: http://www.chevrolet.com/uplander/

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
ccjones said:
I am going to throw a wrench in things and suggest it could be a Chevy Uplander. Someone here at work has one, so I see it out on the parking lot daily. The body style and the wheels in that picture look very similar to the Uplander.

Here's a link to the Uplander: http://www.chevrolet.com/uplander/

That certainly looks like a good possibility. Wonder if they'll issue a recall on it (what ever it ends up being). A seat detaching is NEVER a good thing!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
After seeing the pic...I've been paying more attention to other vehicles when I'm out...I saw a KIA Minivan that looked a lot like the one in the photo. On the KIA, it says KIA in the middle of the tire/rim...but I'm not sure if I can tell if it's there in the photo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC