Wanting, but not NEEDIng, a new car seat

vonfirmath

*sigh* Now that we have two cars, I find myself eyeing car seats, trying to decide which one to buy.

We don't NEED a new car seat. We've already agreed to just trade cars so whoever has the baby has the car with the Marathon in it.

But... I have this car without a car seat. And we are going on plane trips (one this Christmas, one next September. And although my husband can carry the Marathon fine this Christmas, I'm sure I CAN'T handle it on my own next September. -- OTOH who knows what size he'll be then so buying a car seat closer to the time is probably best (but not new for the trip! I need to make sure I can install it easily!)

Anyone else have this kind of urge?

Any new cool seats coming out next year that can help me wait!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, you're preaching to the choir here. So many of us have babies just so we can buy new seats! LOL j/k Though I admit, in the past three years or so any time I've had a dream about a baby there's a carseat in it and that's one of the most exciting things (it was a SS1 for a while, then more recently a True Fit).

Why can't you carry the Marathon? I traveled alone with Piper all the time with her Wizard. Up until she was 3.5 years old. I just strapped it to a luggage trolley and she rode in it. Easy peasy. We even made a 25 minute connection in Atlanta (with terminal change) with that contraption. I RAN. LOL It's easy to install on planes, especially rear facing.

Soooo.... If I was in your shoes I'd actually be looking at two seats. *cough cough* Told you we were bad. LOL I'd probably look at a True Fit for the second car, and a Scenera for travel. Lightweight, narrow, easy to install, $45.

Like I said, though, we're going to be a bad influence on you. Piper has eight seats that she fits in that aren't expired here in my house. Nine, actually. Two Wizards, two Radians, Nautilus, two no back boosters, one Parkway, one AOE in booster mode. She uses the Parkway and the Nautilus regularly, and we travel with a Radian. When she outgrows the harness on the Radian and Nautilus it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with a RSTV for her to travel with. I like the idea of a Compass folding booster, but she's too narrow for it. But we'll see. However, for you guys, I think you could completely justify two more seats. Trading out cars is a hassle, and it's good to have a spare seat. it's also nice to have a travel seat since then you don't have to uninstall your seat in the parking garage at the airport at 5 a.m., or reinstall it at midnight, and the Scenera is so lightweight and it's so economical and it travels really well. Even if you only use it three or four times it can be a spare if you need it around the house, and it's still money well spent.

:)

Wendy

skipspin

Yep, I want a new seat. It totally makes sense.
In my Jeep:
DD has a RN. She loves it and still fits, so she's set. She also has to be harnessed for three-across since otherwise it's a pitb.
DS is about to ougrow tha RA rfing. I could put my Wizard in, but it doesn't match and it's really hard to lift a huge toddler into that seat for a short pregnant mom. So, I want another Radian. I also happen to have an extra matching cover sitting in my garage.
Baby is using the infant seat I already have until he/she fits in the RA.

DH also has a truck, so we'll have RFing WZ, Pkwy, infant seat in there. DS could also move to the RYS when he's FFing, and DD could use it as a booster.

We actually have another Jeep, so I'd love to use that as an excuse to buy another seat, but it looks like we might sell it since we will not longer fit once baby is here. Sob. It's so much fun.

ctbcleveland

Everyone here lusts over seats. I got so excited when my cousin told me she was expected - it meant 3 across and lots of new seats - yippie - I don't even have to pay for them.

But seriously, we have a MA and a RN and I think they are a perfect compliment to each other. DS has sceneras in his GP's cars, so we have the same seats Wendy referenced. DS is 18 mos and has six seats to his name, one of which is an infant seat.

My only interest in the new True-Fit ARB is the fact that it is a 35 lb seat with an alternative to a RF tether. If my MA and RN were 35 lbs, I would not consider a new one. I bought them before the new limits and picked them because of the RF tether.

Last edited:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'm currently planning on getting the new True Fit for this baby when the Key Fit is outgrown.

I don't know if there is anything else coming out as far as convertibles are concerned. Unless we get lucky and Graco surprises us in January again---but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.

Susan

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would feel very uncomfortable without an extra carseat for each kid, and we only have one car! I have 13 seats for 3 kids... :whistle: (I did promise to get rid of some of those and will soon, though.)

AtTheSouthDam

You guys all make me feel much less guilty for wanting to replace the car seat collection I gave up when I stopped nannying. :-D
Anyway, we only have one car and I have another seat in route, back up, so DD2 can stay RF even longer, not that she is close to out growing her current one, but her MA only goes to 33 lbs :(

niccig

I'll play devil's advocate..

What would happen if DH drove off in the car that had the car seat by accident. He was supposed to take the other car, but forgot? This happened to a friend of mine. Her DH took her car and the infant seat was in the base, she doesn't carry her DS in it anymore as it's too heavy for her. Her DH was supposed to take the infant seat out, so she could drive in the other car, but he forgot and drove off to work on location an hour from her.

She called a friend and asked her to stop by earlier than planned to help her install the convertible seat her older son had outgrown - so at least she had a seat to put in. Unfortunately, they installed the seat Rf but used the FF belt path. I met up with them 2 hours later, saw the weird angle on the seatbelt and fixed the install for them.

I would get a Scenera for the 2nd car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC