Problems with installation of new MAs

misskerri

So...this is the deal.

How do we know if the angle of recline is 30-45 degrees? We are used to our carseats having level indicators, and the MAs do not. I can tell for sure in my husband's car that the seat is too upright, but in my Grand Caravan, it's a little more iffy. I just don't even know how to figure it and do the math. Am I supposed to just be able to eyeball a 30-45 degree recline? Is there some trick?

Also? My two kids better really like each other, b/c their seats are right up against one another on the 2nd row bench (DS is in a Graco Nautilus, harnessed at almost 5 years old even though my mom thinks that's "treating him like a baby")....

And...I don't think I'm going to be able to convince DH to keep the Claudia rear-facing much past a year old (middle of next month), b/c in order to get her into the two-door Explorer, he has to open the tailgate and put her in from the back of the vehicle, and he's 6'1", 220lbs, so that's not overly fun for him. But it's either that or take Nick's booster out of his car every time he needs to load Claudia into her seat, crawl into the back seat and sit there to get her hooked up, and then move the hbb back into the car. Sigh. At least they don't ride in his car more than a couple times a week, usually.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

There's a picture of the acceptable range in the back of your manuals, but yes- you basically have to eyeball it. If the line on the side slants toward the front of the vehicle, it's over reclined. On the other end of the spectrum- if it looks too upright, it probably is. Another good indicator is the child. If her head slumps forward when sleeping, it needs to be more reclined (but never more than 45 degrees).

misskerri

If the line on the side slants toward the front of the vehicle, it's over reclined.

Ok...maybe a dumb question...but what line on the side?

I've looked at the manual, and their little illustration just doesn't seem to be helping me. And I'm an educated girl! Maybe I am just overtired. I don't know if the city I live in has car seat inspection at the fire stations, but I work for the City of Dallas, and they *do* inspect carseats at the fire stations. I may just take my vehicles in to make sure.

crunchierthanthou

Ok...maybe a dumb question...but what line on the side?

I've looked at the manual, and their little illustration just doesn't seem to be helping me. And I'm an educated girl! Maybe I am just overtired. I don't know if the city I live in has car seat inspection at the fire stations, but I work for the City of Dallas, and they *do* inspect carseats at the fire stations. I may just take my vehicles in to make sure.

either of these-

britaxanglelines.jpg

they should be pretty close to horizontal when the rf seat is reclined 45 degrees. If they angle down toward the front of the vehicle, the seat is likely over reclined. If you want to take a picture of the seats straight on from the side we can help you gauge the angle. Make sure the camera is level and you're parked on a flat spot as well.

find a technician

find a fitting station

find an event

misskerri

That helps so much, thank you. The seat in DH's car needs to be reclined more, but it looks like mine is fine.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
And...I don't think I'm going to be able to convince DH to keep the Claudia rear-facing much past a year old (middle of next month), b/c in order to get her into the two-door Explorer, he has to open the tailgate and put her in from the back of the vehicle, and he's 6'1", 220lbs, so that's not overly fun for him. But it's either that or take Nick's booster out of his car every time he needs to load Claudia into her seat, crawl into the back seat and sit there to get her hooked up, and then move the hbb back into the car. Sigh. At least they don't ride in his car more than a couple times a week, usually.

2-door vehicles are pretty inconvenient for loading kids, but you might try sharing the video posted on this page - the thread is titled UPDATE: VIDEO Rear-facing is best TRUE STORY. He might decide it's not worth the convenience after he sees it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC