Car seat assistance programs

There are low income seat assistance programs right? How do I find out about them. I made a new friend this weekend & shared Joel's site w/ her & now she's freaked & wants (really needs) to turn her kids RF. She has a 24lb 2yo & 9m twin boys (yup, she has her 9 month olds FF already, but she's learning). I've also learned that she's bough the seats she has from a consignment store & she now knows that's not a good thing either. She can't afford 2 new seats let alone 4 (even the Scenera is costly for her since she really should get 3)

We are in AZ, where do I go to find out about seat assistance for her? Thx

ADS
Is she on WIC? I heard people around here can get carseats(that go to 40 pounds) from wic. I am thinking 3 scenera's would be good for your friend. I would also call the local fire departments-I know mine has a bunch of scenera's and comfort sports in their firestation for people like your friend. :)
Hopefully, that would help.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A few -- definitely not all -- SafeKids programs have some higher-weight harnessing seats.

IMO/IME, however, even when they have them they are reserved for extreme circumstances, such as special needs kids or 50-pound 2yos, not children who meet the minimums for booster use (and that's the 3/30 manfacturer's minimums, not 4/40 best practice or higher that some parents and techs prefer).

catfeet

Yep. It does depend on the program, but it also depends on what the program's got in the warehouse too. For example, we've got some older Airways that we'd give out pretty darn cheap if we could find some kids to use them, simply because they've only got about a year left. OTOH, we've got a fair number of MA's & RN's in there too.

All the higher weight seat, though, require a call our program office in order to a) qualify and b) get one.

HTH,
Ann

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Safe Kids in Nebraska has seats available for a "donation."

Rarely do we have HWH seats (A few years back we had a bucket load of Airways and then ended up with lots of brand new seats that expired in 9 months. I think the powers that be are reluctant to "invest" in them again because the Airways were not well utilized.)

Sometimes we have caseworkers refer families to us, then we know when they make the appointment that they will need a seat(s) at little/no cost.

As a general rule, we only give seats if the kids are present. In the past, I know some event organizers asked families to show their WIC card as "proof" of limited income in order to get a free seat. Lately it seems we've been leaning more toward asking for a donation and leaving it at that.

Our program also received a small grant to 'target' check up events (and purchase seats) for minority families. These events were hosted with a Community Action Agency and/or Health Care Clinic. Their staffs served as volunteers and interpreters and we gave seats to all who came (mostly clients and only by appointment/invitation).

I'm sure there are resources out there. It just may take a little digging.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC