Question Help with seating arrangements (3 Kids)

M

MommyOf3

I need help trying to figure out where is the best location in the car to install the new baby's carseat.

Profile:

* We have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer.
* Car has LATCH on both outer seats (but not middle)
* And has shoulder/Lap belts in all 3 locations.

* 9 year old (No Booster)
* 5 year old (Graco TurboBooster)
* Newborn (Graco SafeSeat Step1)

NOTE: Hubby will NOT allow infant seat behind driver seat because the room it takes up. (causes him to have to sit really close to steering wheel)

I am concerned with my 9 year old being pinned between carseats or between a carseat and car door, if an accident were to happen.

Please help me decide what is the safest locations for my 3 kids!!

ADS

cookie123

I was taught that the least protected child should go in the middle. So, that would be your 9 yo. That leaves the outboard position for the other 2. So the infant seat behind the passenger seat, since dh doesn't want it behind the drivers seat, and the booster behind the driver.

mominabigtruck

I agree with cookie. But I'm wondering if your car has headrests in all positions because we have a similar but older car and it doesn't. If your 9yo's head is completely contained in the seat in the middle I would go with that, otherwise I would put her outboard behind the driver and put the tb in the middle.

M

MommyOf3

I agree with cookie. But I'm wondering if your car has headrests in all positions because we have a similar but older car and it doesn't. If your 9yo's head is completely contained in the seat in the middle I would go with that, otherwise I would put her outboard behind the driver and put the tb in the middle.

Our car does NOT have a headrest in the rear center location.

Kat_Momof3

I need help trying to figure out where is the best location in the car to install the new baby's carseat.

Profile:

* We have a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer.
* Car has LATCH on both outer seats (but not middle)
* And has shoulder/Lap belts in all 3 locations.

* 9 year old (No Booster)
* 5 year old (Graco TurboBooster)
* Newborn (Graco SafeSeat Step1)

NOTE: Hubby will NOT allow infant seat behind driver seat because the room it takes up. (causes him to have to sit really close to steering wheel)

I am concerned with my 9 year old being pinned between carseats or between a carseat and car door, if an accident were to happen.

Please help me decide what is the safest locations for my 3 kids!!

most (not all) 9yr olds still need a booster... how tall and how heavy is your 9yr old?? Be sure he/she passes the 5 step test
http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

Offhand, I would put the newborn behind the passenger and the 5yr old in the middle, since you don't have a headrest there (his booster will provide it).

The 9yr old can go behind the driver... which can also be nice as he/she can make sure the 5yr old gets in first, help him get the booster buckled, while the parent is loading the infant and stroller.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC