Interesting seat

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Interesting seat, for sure.

But I tell ya, I would NOT want to have to install that every time I put baby in the car. No base? I wonder if infant seats in the UK generally don't have bases.

fyrfightermomma

Why can't we have videos to show how to install seats! :)

I find it interesting that here we are very against side facing seats except for preemies that MUST be in car beds, but it seems they are fine with it and even encourage it for newborns. Anyone know why?

NotJUSTamom

:scratcheshead::confused::question:Boy oh boy that seat confused meeee? What is that for? Premature babies and for term babies? Is it saying that you can use it as a car-bed for term babies as well?

NannyMom

Why can't we have videos to show how to install seats! :)

I find it interesting that here we are very against side facing seats except for preemies that MUST be in car beds, but it seems they are fine with it and even encourage it for newborns. Anyone know why?

Isn't it only because our seats have not been crash tested side facing?

Lara

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Not quite the same thing, but this one also allows babies to lie completely flat. (Though it appears to install rear-facing, not side-facing.) Someone called my co-worker the other day and wanted her to help her install it (she had bought it while living in Europe). Co-worker told her good luck finding a tech to help you.

Is lying flat a common feature of European infant seats?

Synchro246

mum2two

Some Europeans often use carbeds for full term babies for at least 3 months. A gal here who was from Denmark was using a carbed with her daughter (she did have a Snugride which she used to bring her DD home form the hospital here) but really felt that the baby should not be in the infant seat until older and told me that in Denmark that's how they do it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Not quite the same thing, but this one also allows babies to lie completely flat. (Though it appears to install rear-facing, not side-facing.) Someone called my co-worker the other day and wanted her to help her install it (she had bought it while living in Europe). Co-worker told her good luck finding a tech to help you.

Is lying flat a common feature of European infant seats?

They NEED to take the car beds off the market (or at least only use them for very, very specific circumstances) and replace them with a seat like this for preemies who have breathing problems-- rear-facing but allows an infant to lie flat! WHY is no one developing this??? If they showed comparison crash videos to NICU staff they could corner the market!

Maedze

:eek:

I thought the advertising video was pretty neat until I saw the crash test.

It wouldn't be an option as a seat for someone with more than one child anyway...it takes up the whole dang back seat!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
yep. the crash test videos of that thing (or a previous model of it) with it set up like a car bed are horrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdBRPiNJC7s

I've seen that video before - where is the harness? The dummy doesn't appear to be harnessed. If you look, you can even see the slot for the crotch strap after the dummy is practically ejected from the seat, and it's empty.
:confused:

It also doesn't appear to be correctly installed. Look at the seat belts - they're not even close to tight before the crash.

Mama!

Yk , my nephew had a car bed as an infant. It was on Swing, and it rotated either flat or into a V shaped seat that held them more upright. It cost a pretty penny in a boutique in 1996, and my SIL put her newborns in it as a carbed. It strapped in sideways.

Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

OT, when I worked at BRU in the late 90's, I had a mom of a SN boy call and she was frantic for a carbed. Her ds had some horrible medical condition that required him to lie flat all the time, and if you raised him up at all he screamed and screamed.

I told her about that swing and wished her the best. None of the store employees even had an idea of a bigger seat. The carbed only went to 20 or 22 lbs :(

Defrost

Yk , my nephew had a car bed as an infant. It was on Swing, and it rotated either flat or into a V shaped seat that held them more upright. It cost a pretty penny in a boutique in 1996, and my SIL put her newborns in it as a carbed. It strapped in sideways.

Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

Cosco Dreamride? Sounds just like the one we had... Here it is in upright mode:
0101macha2.jpg

Ours came with a swing, too.

Lara

I've seen that video before - where is the harness? The dummy doesn't appear to be harnessed. If you look, you can even see the slot for the crotch strap after the dummy is practically ejected from the seat, and it's empty.
:confused:

It also doesn't appear to be correctly installed. Look at the seat belts - they're not even close to tight before the crash.

If you look at the OP's video, they show the kid in the car with it like a car bed with just that belly belt thing. I'm not sure if thats how its supposed to be or not...I'm trying to find a manual for the thing online!

ETA I found the manual for the Matrix Pro which I think is the previous model of this seat. And in car bed mode, you strap them in with that belly belt thing and thats it! You use the regular harness when its upright and rear facing. yikes.

Last edited:

Defrost

Hmm yeah. It laid flat as a carbed too?

Yep - it was actually a pretty nice carseat for the time; I always liked it. The only thing I hated was the 3-point harness. But used upright/RF, it was very narrow and easy to install, and the back was nice & flat which was great for my refluxers who otherwise hated infant seats.

My son Fighter was in it when we got t-boned, in fact.

If you look at the OP's video, they show the kid in the car with it like a car bed with just that belly belt thing. I'm not sure if thats how its supposed to be or not...I'm trying to find a manual for the thing online!

ETA I found the manual for the Matrix Pro which I think is the previous model of this seat. And in car bed mode, you strap them in with that belly belt thing and thats it! You use the regular harness when its upright and rear facing. yikes.

Holy crow... :eek: yeah, THAT would be a problem. How in the world did it ever get to market with a design like that??

skueppers

But I tell ya, I would NOT want to have to install that every time I put baby in the car. No base? I wonder if infant seats in the UK generally don't have bases.

The Roemer (Britax) infant car seats I've seen in Germany have installed pretty much the same way, with the shoulder belt routing all the way around the back of the seat.

They do make ones with bases for the German market, also.

I usually leave infant car seats in the car if they're installed without a base, it's a lot easier that way!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC