flying w/ FF and RF seats, gogokidz wheels

lizajane30

We're flying in a couple weeks with a FF Boulevard and a RF Roundabout. Friends are loaning us two sets of gogokidz wheels, but I think I once read that you can't install RF on a plane with the wheels on. Is this true? (The friend who is lending the wheels told me that I should just FF my two-month-old infant because it will be hard to install RF and will keep the person in front of us from reclining, plus "crashes on planes aren't like car crashes." :rolleyes:) I was only going to take the wheels for the BLVD, but since she has two to lend I'd take both if it will be useful. If it just means I'm going to be lugging something extra around I don't want to bother.

Also, any other tips for air travel with two Britax seats? (I know about the seatbelt extender!)

TIA.

ADS

natysr

The main concern I have with the two month old is that there won't be enough room to get a good 45 degree angle when installing the roundabout rearfacing on the plane. Do you have an infant carrier style carseat that you could use (or borrow) for use on the trip? Your infant will need a good recline since she doesn't have good enough head/neck control to sit more upright.

You definately should not allow your two month old to ride forward facing at all.

Pixels

Perhaps you can try it out with the wheels ahead of time to see if you think you would be able to install it with the wheels. The gogoKidz website says something about quick release wheels, so it might be an option to take the wheels off (but not the whole gogoKidz) at the last minute.

If you go to http://www.seatguru.com/ you can look up the specs on different seats in the aircraft you will be on. Then you can hopefully request a seat that has a bit more room so that you will be able to recline your RFing seat more.

lizajane30

*bump*
Any other opinions out there? Should I really subject my baby to riding in her dreaded "baby bucket" because she won't be reclined enough in the RA? (This doesn't make sense to me, because the bucket takes up more room front to back than the RA...maybe things are different in a plane than in the car?)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, you wouldn't be using the base in a plane (unless it's one that has to have the base for installation.) But yeah, they're probably about the same size.

natysr

Well, you wouldn't be using the base in a plane (unless it's one that has to have the base for installation.) But yeah, they're probably about the same size.

:yeahthat: Unless it is required by the manufacturer, leave the base at home. Without the base it will take up much less space front to back than the roundabout. I flew a couple of time with a Roundabout on United and American and it was very upright. The 45 degree angle requirement is not just for comfort so that the baby's head doesn't flop. It is because if their head flops at that age, it may cut off their airways. You do want your baby to be able to breathe. ;)

Pixels

I took my base on the plane, but ended up having to put it under the seat in front of her. It couldn't be buckled because the buckle needed to be where the belt guides are on the base. This was with a BabyTrend FlexLoc. It worked fine without the base, the buckle was on the top between the two belt guides on the seat. Now that DD is old enough to notice these things, I'm sure she would spend the whole ride trying to unbuckle herself lol.

lizajane30

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get a satisfactory install without the base--just one more reason I despise the Snugride--and I'm not confident I could do it well in the car once we reach our destination, especially considering I will be installing it right next to DS' BLVD. Every time I've tried, it just slides back and forth on the seat. Is the head-flop issue different when we're talking about an adult sitting next to her the entire time? I don't sleep while flying, so I will be awake and right there to prop her head if necessary. (And doesn't that sound like a fun way to spend a flight? Can you tell how desperate I am not to use the baby bucket??)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You could pack the base in a suitcase or stow it in the compartment, but it will be impossible to install a SR base on a plane. However, the SR installs really well on planes without the base. You'll have no issues.

If you REALLY have to bring the RA, bring a pool noodle chunk just in case. I'd be more comfortable with more of a recline even with an adult right next to the baby.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC