How long would a child with Down Syndrome need to be harnessed?

niccig

My friend is trying to work out the car seat situation for her 2 kids. Her 4 yo has a Nautilus and a MA, but soon he'll be too big for the MA. She's going to give that to the 15 month old and buy the 4yo another Nautilus or she has a gift certificate to Babystyle for $200, so she could put it toward a Frontier. She'll harness the 4yo for a few more years then move to booster. Her 15 month old has Down Syndrome and he'll eventually move into the Nautilus and Frontier. She's trying to work out which seat will last longer for her 15 month old. He'll be around 7 when the Nautilus expires and around 10 for the Frontier. I told her that he might need to be harnessed longer than her 4 yo, but I don't know how long. She wants this to be the LAST car seat purchase. I think it can be for her 4 yo, but I don't know what her 15 month old will need as an older child - he's still rear-facing in infant seat and she's said she'll keep him rear-facing until 2.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Re: How long would a down syndrome child need to be harnessed?

I'd get the Frontier for the 9yr harnessing capabilities, longer seat depth & wider shoulder room. There's no doubt in my mind that it can last any child to seatbelt age... I'm not positive about the Nautilus, still waiting to see one in person, but it looks a little on the narrow/small side for an older (8-12 year old) child to me.

orangemnms

Semantics, but "a child with Down Syndrome" is much more appropriate (and less offensive) than "a down syndrome child." :thumbsup:

I think it;s hard to say now how long her 15 month old will need to be harnessed. It depends on the particular child, if he has low tone, how compliant he is (or will be when he is older ;)) etc.

niccig

Semantics, but "a child with Down Syndrome" is much more appropriate (and less offensive) than "a down syndrome child." :thumbsup:

You're are very right, and I am sorry if I caused offense. I edited the title as I was writing it, and I didn't catch the incorrect wording. I'll go edit the title if I can.

niccig

I think it;s hard to say now how long her 15 month old will need to be harnessed. It depends on the particular child, if he has low tone, how compliant he is (or will be when he is older ;)) etc.

I agree, which is why I told her I didn't know and would ask some people here. I also think buying the LAST car seat, sets you up for disappointment later on, as we don't know how our children will grow or family needs change with re. to car and car seats.

niccig

I'd get the Frontier for the 9yr harnessing capabilities, longer seat depth & wider shoulder room. There's no doubt in my mind that it can last any child to seatbelt age... I'm not positive about the Nautilus, still waiting to see one in person, but it looks a little on the narrow/small side for an older (8-12 year old) child to me.

I'll let her know. She's leaning towards the Frontier because of the gift certificate - there isn't anything else she needs at Babystyle and it'll be cheaper to add in extra money than to have the Nautilus.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
First, I'd start preparing her for the idea that the 15 mth old will need to be rfing past age 2. Children with Down Syndrome are prone to a condition known as Atlantoaxial Instability. What it is is a big gap in the spacing of their cervical spine vertebrae. Children with this condition can be seriously injured or paralyzed by falling during normal play even. Since this is a degenerative condition, it is difficult to tell if a child has it before 3-4 years of age. It is estimated that 85% of children with Down Syndrome have the condition.

For this reason, it is critical that children with Downs remain rfing at a minimum until they are confirmed not to have it. The possibility of AtlantoAxial Instability is grounds to petition NHTSA for permission to import a Swedish rfing seat.

southpawboston

that's right. down syndrome represents a range of physical and mental disabilities. not all children with down syndrome are developmentally disabled to the same degree.

niccig

First, I'd start preparing her for the idea that the 15 mth old will need to be rfing past age 2. Children with Down Syndrome are prone to a condition known as Atlantoaxial Instability. What it is is a big gap in the spacing of their cervical spine vertebrae. Children with this condition can be seriously injured or paralyzed by falling during normal play even. Since this is a degenerative condition, it is difficult to tell if a child has it before 3-4 years of age. It is estimated that 85% of children with Down Syndrome have the condition.

For this reason, it is critical that children with Downs remain rfing at a minimum until they are confirmed not to have it. The possibility of AtlantoAxial Instability is grounds to petition NHTSA for permission to import a Swedish rfing seat.

I forwarded this information on to her. He still fits in his infant seat, so he's definitely RF for now.

niccig

that's right. down syndrome represents a range of physical and mental disabilities. not all children with down syndrome are developmentally disabled to the same degree.

Exactly. I think it's too difficult to say now what her 15 month will need at 6 or 7 years old.

I think she's leaning towards the Frontier because she has a gift certificate for most of the purchase price. It gives her 9 years, so the most lifetime of use for her 2 kids. I sent her links to posts here comparing the 2 seats, so they can work out what they want.

Kat_Momof3

I would contact Ali/Sadi's mom (Chelsae) via pm/email and get advice directly from her.

She's the one on here that has had to deal with the issues from downs and she's REALLY done her research.

She knows all the questions to ask and can help you more specifically.

However, just in general figure that with all the possible health issues as well as other issues with maturity and behavior that may or may not factor in, I would just err on the side of caution and recommend rearfacing as long as possible (I would settle for nothing less), then harnessing as long as may be.

After that, some will do fine in boosters and then seatbelts... other will need to continue to be harnessed with 86-Y harnesses and such.

It's just not as cut and dry as behavior and maturity, but what you need to ensure you can safely have the child restrained if he/she goes into a seizure, their heart suddenly has trouble, or some other emergancy happens while on the road. It doesn't sound as likely with most kids, but with kids with Down Syndrome, it is so much more likely because of the health problems that can accompany it.

And just the possibility of the spinal problems, too, can mean at the very least that staying upright without the harness during sleep would pose a problem longer than with other children.

And you only know if they have that if you get them x-rayed... forget what it's called.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC