Evenflo Titan

U

Unregistered

Has anyone used the Evenflo Titan? If so, how do you like it? Also, do you feel good about putting your child in this seat?

Thanks!

ADS

cantech

I used the Titan for my dd#3 and liked it alot. I really liked the 4 harness slots which allowed for alot of rear facing use without any big gaps when moving from one set of slots to the next. I was using it in a 2000 Caravan and was able to get a great install with it in the 2nd row passenger side. It does of course have forward facing limitations. I'm in Canada so we outgrew the height before the weight. I've since installed it in a Toyota Echo using latch and a Toyota Sienna using a lap shoulder belt with locking clip with no problems on install. Did I feel good about it? You bet! However there are alot of options out there, particularly in the US, that weren't available to me at the time I choose the Titan.

If you're looking for a seat recommendation you might want to post back with details of the child's age, weight, etc. There are alot of well informed people here more than willing to help.

Belinda

Splash

I personally LOVE the Titan, but I am in a very small minority! I used the 'old' ones as travel seats for my daughters and they were wonderful! However I don't like the new ones too much.

That said, I would not use that seat as my primary seat. The RF weight limit on all Evenflo (and Graco) seats is ridiculously low (only 30 pounds) and the top slots are fairly low as well. There are better options for a primary seat.

How old is the child in question?

U

Unregistered

Hi, thanks for all the replies. She is 7 months old, she weighs about 20 pounds and is about 29 inches long.

Splash

In that case, I would not get this seat.
What is your budget? egiggle.com currently has marathons on sale for $189, and a marathon is definitely one of the best seats for you at this point. It will allow her to rear face until 33 pounds (rear facing is much safer than forward facing and should be continued until the absolute limit of the seat) and then she can use it until 65 pounds (or she is too tall). Most kids make it to 5-6 in the marathon, some even longer. However most kids are out of a Titan by 2.5 or three, meaning you have to buy ANOTHER harnessed seat (since you cannot got from the titan to a booster, the titan's limits are just too low) and will end up spending far more than you would on just buying a Marathon now. From a marathon an child can move to a booster (costing anywhere from $10-$250, depending on what booster you get) safely.

What vehicle will this be going in? Some seats are not compatible with some vehicles, so knowing what car you have will help us make the best recommendation.

If you don't want to spend the money on a Marathon, your next best bet is a Cosco Scenera five point (NOT overhead shield) for about $40-$60. That will rear face until 35 pounds and has nice tall top slots that will last her until she about 3-3.5, at which point you will still need another harnessed seat, but it's cheaper than the Titan is and you can rear face for MUCH longer, which definitely is safer.

kelly

I was going to type out pretty much exactly what Splash said. :)

The Scenera is pretty plain-looking and won't grab your eye at the store, but really a nice seat. (Get the 5 point version, not the overhead sheild). I like WalMart's color's best, its black and tan. Target's is navy and light blue, its ok if you like that color combo, but I just don't! ;) Kmart's brown, which would look nice in a tan or brown interior.

The Scenera is really easy to install in tons of cars, very lightweight (great for moving it or traveling with it), easy adjuster, taller than many 40 lbs seats (shell and slots) and have the highest RF limit available. Which is wonderful.

The MA on the other hand, is a big investment up front but you'll be done until the kid is 5-6. Yeah for that! I had to buy my 3.5 year old another MA when she got too tall for the Scenera in her dad's truck. Deciding what to get took forever and wasn't fun for that age. Its also just a very nice, cushy, high-quality seat. Its something you have to deal with multiple times a day, EVERY day. Its nice to have one with the fewest annoyances. ;)

B

bucket2

kelly said:
I like WalMart's color's best, its black and tan. Target's is navy and light blue, its ok if you like that color combo, but I just don't! ;) Kmart's brown, which would look nice in a tan or brown interior.

OT: :rolleyes: You mean to say my blue & white plaid Airway is a fashion violation since it's installed in a burgundy interior? Dang.:p

Sorry, Kelly, I couldn't resist teasing about color coordination as a CPS issue. (Trust me, from all the not yet born installs I've done, I KNOW it is.)

Splash

Ugh! My boulevards are either Regal or Classic... both the black/gold check... and I have GREY interior! The horror!!

Actually I've been thinking of getting a new cover for comfort reasons... anyone know if I can put a denim wizard cover on a boulevard as long as I replace the headwing cover? I was thinking funky denim or new blues wizard with mosaic BV headrest cover... would it look okay? I just think cotton will be better for him with all his skin issues and now being outboard with no from the ceiling rear AC.

Dillipop

I would skip the titan, too. I had the older model and it was a PITA to adjust the harness once it was ffing. The adjuster would stick and you could not get the harness to tighten or loosen unless you took the seat out. Rfing it was ok since you could pull on the harness from the back to tighten or loosen. I don't know if this has been improved with the new ones. Plus, DS outgrew the harness at 2.5 and we ended up having to get a cargo to replace it. If we had just gotten a second marathon, we would still be using it for a few more years to come. For DS2 we are getting a scenera for when he outgrows the infant seat for DS's car and he will be in our marathon in my car.

U

Unregistered

bucket2 said:
OT: :rolleyes: You mean to say my blue & white plaid Airway is a fashion violation since it's installed in a burgundy interior? Dang.:p

Sorry, Kelly, I couldn't resist teasing about color coordination as a CPS issue. (Trust me, from all the not yet born installs I've done, I KNOW it is.)

:) Doh, ok, that came out wrong. I mainly was trying to say that I think lots of people see the Target one and go "eww", THAT seat? It just doesn't jump off the shelf and say "Buy Me". But, the Walmart and the Kmart ones are more attractive no matter the interior. (My humble opinion.)

I honestly believe EB seats are so popular because they are "attractive". They look fancy, have neutral colors, etc. The poor Scenera probably gets looked right over unless you are specifically going in for it after it being recommended by someone else.

I actually think its cool there are three Sceneras to choose from and like to point it out in case the potential buyer doesn't know.

(end hijack!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC