Question Booster seat for very big 3 y.o.?

U

Unregistered

Help. My just-turned-3 y.o. son is HUGE -- 42" tall and 55 lbs. He's in a Britax Marathon now and very uncomfortable because the seat is not deep enough. When he's harnessed in his crotch area is squeezed too tight. We're wondering if he would be more comfortable in a booster seat but have no idea where to begin. Anyone have recommendations as to what would be a good booster seat for a very large child?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Britax Frontier or Graco Nautilus . . . in harness mode....

Ready for a Booster
icon5.gif

melniemi

I would also consider the Britax Regent, since he is very big for his age. It is a roomy seat and will harness him to 80#s. My 4 and 7 year olds ride in them.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd go with the Britax Regent or Britax Frontier - a complaint with the Nautilus is that the crotch depth isn't deep enough for some boys, but that's not a problem with the other two seats.

At 3YO he definitely needs to remain harnessed.

fyrfightermomma

I'd also go with the Regent. If he is already 55 lbs, I don't think a Nautilus is a great choice, as that is only 10 more pounds. Since we don't know specifics that could be another 3 years or another 6 months. There's no way to tell. I'd rather err on the side of caution and get a 80# seat. So if you want a seat for the "long haul" that will last him hopefully until he is mature enough for a booster I'd go with the Regent or if he has a relatively short torso-the Frontier. Both go to 80#'s

I would not put him in a booster, but get a britax Regent. I had my 65 pound just turned 3 year old daycare boy in a frontier and honestly, he was smooshed. He is 42' tall as well, but also has a tall torso.

I tried him in a regent(at babies r us) and he had so much room. Unfortunetly his mom has him in a No back booster :-(. Not safe at all. He is all over that car.
I have him in a High back booster in my car, but I only have him 4 times a month and usually don't drive him. I have had to drive him one time and I panicked the whole time-he was all over the car... not seating well in the seat, bending over. I try never to drive him.

The britax regent is 219.00 here with free shipping! Hope this helps!!!!

http://www.babyage.com/brands/britax.htm

Adventuredad

I normally recommend boosters but I think 3 years of age is too young for that. I agree with the recommendations above, harnessing would be the way to go at his age:twocents:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If you (might) have a younger child to hand a Regent down to & later shop for dedicated boosters, then yes that would be my first choice :) Without a younger child to hand it down to and/or if you need something that you will be able to use for travel :twocents: & to potentially last until the child can possibly pass the 5 Step Test, then I would not choose the Regent ... unless you have $ for both :confused::eek:

T

texasex

Thanks for the advice -- we'll check out the Regent. Looks like it wins hands down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC