WWYD wrt a holiday light show?

Maedze

Would you turn a 23 lb 18 month old ff in a Marathon for a one mile drive on a private, closed access holiday light show where the max speed is 10-15 mph?

He would be rear facing for the trip there and the trip back :eek:

ADS

MomToEliEm

In my vehicle, my DD had a better view when rearfacing since she could see out the whole back window.

If there was a good view rearfacing, I would probably keep the seat rearfacing. If he could not see anything at all, I might turn forward facing. It does seem like a lot of effort to switch the seat just for a short drive. I would assume you would have to move the harness straps up so they were at or above the shoulders.

Just so long as you don't keep the baby in your lap during the drive (I see that way too often at our nearby light show), I would be find with either rearfacing or forward facing.

fyrfightermomma

I was thinking the same thing. We have a HUGE neighborhood display near our home that is the biggest in the state. I was just going to turn my 3 1/2 year old because I really don't mind which direction she faces at this point. But I didn't know what to do with my 1 1/2 year old. She is near 30 lbs.

But now that someone mentioned it, she probably could just see out the sides or back

Maedze

I don't think he'll be able to see out the sides or back very well. We'll be driving in our friends minivan, and he'll be in the middle row. It has tinted sides and is pretty deep across. I just don't think he'll be able to see much.

skaterbabs

Nope. because even though those are "low" speeds, the drivers are distracted and the likelihood of fender benders is increased.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At age 1 1/2 he's going to be going "oooh" at everything he sees even if it's only a few lights here and there and he misses the "effect" of the whole display. I'd leave him RF even being in the middle.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We'll be driving in our friends minivan, and he'll be in the middle row.

Oh, well if you have a minivan you can do what I saw two families doing at a holiday display last year: Open the sliding door and have the kids stand there while you drive through. They get a MUCH better view that way. :rolleyes:

(Disclaimer: that was sarcasm--though I really did see it happen.)

Maedze

Oh, well if you have a minivan you can do what I saw two families doing at a holiday display last year: Open the sliding door and have the kids stand there while you drive through. They get a MUCH better view that way. :rolleyes:

(Disclaimer: that was sarcasm--though I really did see it happen.)

It's ok, I figured it out. I'm going to put him RF on the top of the minivan. I'm pretty sure they have a roof rack. Safe AND a good view. Best of both worlds. :thumbsup:

I think I'm just going to leave him RF though, mostly because it'll be a huge PITA to switch the seat out at the beginning and the end and I don't want to tick off our friends. LOL.

cpsaddict

It's ok, I figured it out. I'm going to put him RF on the top of the minivan. I'm pretty sure they have a roof rack. Safe AND a good view. Best of both worlds. :thumbsup:

I think I'm just going to leave him RF though, mostly because it'll be a huge PITA to switch the seat out at the beginning and the end and I don't want to tick off our friends. LOL.

Oh, that's an excellent idea! Much better view up there. Better yet, let him sit on the lap of the driver and hang out the window. Yeah, that's what people do here. :rolleyes: (note the sarcasm)

Mommy0608

Nope. We went on one last year, and left her RF. She could see just fine out the back window. We're going again this year probably, and she'll be RF this time too. :thumbsup:

CaseyRN

Ok I will admit it. I plan to turn DD FF to go to the light shows. I plan to turn her around at 2 which is in exactly one month. So I have no problem turning her around for one trip. It's a parental decision I've made and I am very comfortable with it.

NicoleP

Ok I will admit it. I plan to turn DD FF to go to the light shows. I plan to turn her around at 2 which is in exactly one month. So I have no problem turning her around for one trip. It's a parental decision I've made and I am very comfortable with it.

I think, again just *me* thinking this....that FF at a year and with weight requirments (even though is not*AS* safe, if at all and my kids are 8weeks, 1yrs and 2yrs and ALL RF still) is allowed so I feel that driving a mile through a light show would be fine and would still be safe to do. This is just me and my feelings.

I do think it would be kind of a hassel to install the seat RF only to get there and turn the child FF and then stop again to install the seat RF again and THEN remove it and install back into your car.

NotJUSTamom

I think, again just *me* thinking this....that FF at a year and with weight requirments (even though is not*AS* safe, if at all and my kids are 8weeks, 1yrs and 2yrs and ALL RF still) is allowed so I feel that driving a mile through a light show would be fine and would still be safe to do. This is just me and my feelings.

I do think it would be kind of a hassel to install the seat RF only to get there and turn the child FF and then stop again to install the seat RF again and THEN remove it and install back into your car.

I must not understand this correctly :scratcheshead: did you say you would FF your 8mo for a lights show??

fyrfightermomma

I must not understand this correctly :scratcheshead: did you say you would FF your 8mo for a lights show??

I think she said that while it's not AS safe "FF at a year and at the weight requirement" is allowed so I think she meant if they are over the minimums she would consider it- that's how I read it

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
To me it's a cost/benefit assessment. To me, I would FF a normally RF 3 or 4 year old to see something like this. But a 1 1/2 year old is not going to remember this in later years, and like I said, will "ooh" at whatever he does see. So the risk is greater and the benefit is less than doing it for a 3 year old. So for me, not worth it. Not to mention re-installing the seat twice, in a friend's car. :twocents:

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have no issue at all with it and would do it. Well, I might do it. The whole turning the seat around and then looking at lights and then turning it back around would likely deter me from doing it. But, in general I have no issue with flipping an 18 mos old for a 1 mile drive where cars are all driving very slowly.

NicoleP

Yes you misunderstood. I was just saying all my children 2yrs and under ARE infact RF. However if they were a year and met the min. weight/age requirements for FF I would do it in this case but the whole hassel of the seat switching would make me nutso.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC