Britax and Albee Baby Giving Incorrect Info!!!

soccer_widow

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the Decathalon on sale for $199 at Albee Baby. I have a Marathon, so I went to the Britax site to check out the DC. I said that it only rearfaced to 33 pounds, and the Albee baby site claimed 35 pounds, so I called Britax. I was told by the Britax rep that all the Decathalon limit is 35 pounds, that all of their seats have always been tested to 35 pounds, and all they changed this year was the labeling. She said the web-site was incorrect, and the DC should be 35 pounds RF

So, I ordered the DC. It came, the manual and sticker on the front both said 33 pounds. I called Albee Baby to return it, and the Customer Service rep told me that I didn't need to return it because there is no way my kid will ever be RF when he is over 33 pounds. I informed that the seat was for a 32 pound 2 1/2 year old so he could RF to 35 pounds. He told me that was "crazy", and I needed to turn him around ASAP:eek: I asked if he was a certified CPS tech since he was giving out advice. He claimed he was. I told him he was a liar, and when he couldn't tell me what CPS stood for, I knew he was lying.

So, I asked for his supervisor. The supervisor told me that he was sorry the CS rep. was rude. I explained that they shouldn't be giving out car safety advice if they were not certified since they could be held liable if something bad happened. He then went on the tell me "parent to parent" that my child really was way to old to be RF, since there was nowhere for his legs to go, and that is really dangerous. He said it was "ridiculous" for me to keep him RF past one year old. I told him I do not need parenting or safety advice from the Albee Baby customer service dept.:mad:

Anyway, I returned the DC, and told them their site was wrong on the RF limit.

ADS

tjham

I asked if he was a certified CPS tech since he was giving out advice. He claimed he was. I told him he was a liar,
and when he couldn't tell me what CPS stood for, I knew he was lying.

:eek: The rest of your post made me mad for you but this part just about made me choke!

loufrando

That is terrible! I wonder if Britax would be interested to know how AlbeeBaby is behaving towards their customers re: ERF. I know Britax is all about best practice.

lovinwaves

I am actually very surprised to hear that not only did a CS rep. from Albee Baby say something like that, but a Supervisor as well. :twocents:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't believe that Britax rep is still saying that...I've heard of this person saying the same thing before (seats are labeled to 33, but 'have always been tested and ok to 35') :eek:

(no, Decathlons have never been labeled to 35, as far as I've ever heard, by the way...I assume the newest manual at www.britaxusa.com would reflect their proper weight, but the Albee stock is old/clearance so would likely be 33).

NannyMom

I can't believe that Britax rep is still saying that...I've heard of this person saying the same thing before (seats are labeled to 33, but 'have always been tested and ok to 35') :eek:

(no, Decathlons have never been labeled to 35, as far as I've ever heard, by the way...I assume the newest manual at www.britaxusa.com would reflect their proper weight, but the Albee stock is old/clearance so would likely be 33).

I think someone else was told by Britax that the 35lb rf is for all seats, and even retroactive. Only to find out later that is not true. I wonder why and which britax person is saying this.

skylinphoto

That makes me want to email albeebaby and tell them that they discouraging people from the safest practices for their children and will lose customers because of that if they keep it up.
They're gonna loose my business if that's how they treat people and if that's the kind of advice they give out (like they should be giving any at all...sigh)..
And I love albeebaby for their prices...

hjal05

I can't believe that Albee Baby was giving out advice. Just wow! I think that from know on I might shop else where when looking for things. I usually always check there because they have good clearance.

Maedze

Wow, that is terrible. I have bought there before, but I don't think I will again. They should be ashamed of themselves :thumbsdown:

Synchro246

I am so sorry you had a horrible experience!

I've ordered from baby universe and called with a question about RF weight limits and the CS rep tried to tell me that my kid was old enough to turn around blah blah blah, but when I corrected him he was receptive and interested. He even said he wanted to look into it more on his own.

Hum. This post isn't meant to rub salt in your wounds. LOL. I guess I"m just saying that you too could have a good experience one day. LOL. I should just stop now.

PixieEMT

Wow, that is terrible. I have bought there before, but I don't think I will again. They should be ashamed of themselves :thumbsdown:

Ditto. I'll buy from hipmonkey.com. :) Atleast KDMF know what they are talking about. ;)
I was half tempted back in June to buy my BLVD from either Albeebaby or babyage.com due to the sales. I called both up and they could not give me an answer if they were 33lb or 35lb RF. :rolleyes: I paid the extra $60-$80 and bought from hipmonkey.com and I have no regrets. :thumbsup: A DOM of May and 35lb limit.

soccer_widow

Yes, I told him, but he said that "nobody" keeps their kids rear-facing that long, and the Britax limits are so high because they are accomodating really big babies. He was not at all receptive to the information I was trying to give him.

My biggest issue with the whole thing was that the original guy was claiming to be a certified tech, and wasn't. The supervisor said something about them being certified in installation only-whatever that is.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, I told him, but he said that "nobody" keeps their kids rear-facing that long, and the Britax limits are so high because they are accomodating really big babies. He was not at all receptive to the information I was trying to give him.

My biggest issue with the whole thing was that the original guy was claiming to be a certified tech, and wasn't. The supervisor said something about them being certified in installation only-whatever that is.

Yeah, weird about the tech thing. I'd press that-- tell him you are familiar with the certification process and have never heard about that, and can he give you some information on how long their course is, who their certifying authority is, etc.?

As for the first, I think we should ALL call albeebaby up, ask for that rep, and tell him that we are ERFing our children (or have) and how old they are (or how old they made it to before turning.) :evil grin:

4boysmom

uh :confused: maybe he is just a rather bulky guy who can get a tight seat belt install with his knee?!?! Becasue obviously he is unaware of proper possible use of the assumingly properly "installed" seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC