Did you do anything special for the 4th of July?

scatterbunny

Did anyone celebrate for the 4th of July? Or how about Canada Day?

Rockaway Beach, Oregon always has a huge fireworks display, a parade and children's events on the beach, and they're only about 30 minutes north of us, so we went there with some family friends and their kids (Hayley's best friend being one of them). We got there about 3 pm and pitched a tent on the beach and had a blast! Fireworks lasted a long time, but I didn't get any great pics because of all the smoke on the beach from bonfires.

I was really worried about how Hayley would react to all these "triggers" to her sensory issues: the crowds, the noise, the sheer physical exhaustion of playing at the beach for almost 8 hours, having to follow directions, etc. etc. But she surprised me and did so incredibly well. She ate well the whole day and I know that contributed. She also tends to do well when she is engaged on physical activity outdoors, so that was another plus. But I thought for-sure when darkness hit she'd lose it.

A few decent pics from the fun:

2.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Beautiful -- I also saw the pics in the other thread :)

We went to Jones Beach on Long Island: soooooo much traffic, but we'd camped out "next door" at Gilgo Beach the night before so it was fine ... my SO took some secret close ups of me tanning that are not appropriate to share in a public forum (I didn't even know it until I was getting his camera ready for him to take on his trip earlier) :p & some hilarious videos of Leila playing with random kids :rolleyes:

Other than his sister being a totally immature brat at over 40 years old all was great, LOL

scatterbunny

The pics in the other thread were from last Saturday at Oceanside, Oregon, about 15 minutes west of me. The ones in this thread are from Tuesday afternoon/night at Rockaway Beach, Oregon, about 30 minutes north. There's so many beautiful beaches around here. We were supposed to go to Cape Kiwanda, about 30 minutes south of us, today for Mark to paraglide but we decided to stay home and clean house.

LOL @ your SO taking pics of you tanning. That's something Mark would do if he could figure out my camera! :rolleyes:

Lara

Well im not really a regular here (mainly post on babycenter) but thought I would post anyway. We went to the fireworks that were right by our house. They were alright but I have seen better. I found this cool pic that someone took from their house on our communities forum. It is of the very ungrand finale (lasted all of 5 seconds) but it still looks cool LOL.

my.php

I hope I got this picture thing right i've never done it before here.

Lara

Michi

I just have to share the wonderful experience my family had over the 4th...

I have just finished reading 'Little House in the Big Woods' with my two oldest kids, and they just love the fact that it takes place in Wisconsin, which is where we live. They wanted to know all about where Laura was born, and where she lived (Pepin, WI).
So we got out a map and looked it up. It is on the complete opposite side of the state from where we live, so I didn't think we'd be going there any time soon, but Friday night DH surprised me and said that he thought we should take a road trip...to PEPIN!

We had the BEST time!!!!
We saw an exact replica of Laura's cabin (on the site of the original), went to the Laura Ingalls museum (which looked remarkably like the Pepin store in the book) and...the BEST part (... for those of you who have read the book).... my kids gathered TONS of 'pretty pebbles' from the beach on Lake Pepin!
(Only they didn't rip out their pockets like Laura did!) :)

We spent the afternoon swimming at the beach, then we drove down the Great River Road along the Mississippi River.
We stopped to watch some boats go through the locks at a dam, and we went to a cheese factory and bought fresh 'squeaky' cheese curds!

My kids said it was the best 'field trip' ever.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We were on vacation on the Cayman Islands. So no celebrations. LOL Piper spent half the day at the kid's program, and Nathan, Piper, and I all had spa appointments (men's facial, massage, pedicure). Otherwise just a relaxing day, but one completely uncelebrated in the Caymans.

Wendy

skaterbabs

pablomichi said:
I just have to share the wonderful experience my family had over the 4th... Friday night DH surprised me and said that he thought we should take a road trip...to PEPIN!..........My kids said it was the best 'field trip' ever.

Too cool! that does sound like an awesome field trip. :) I love the Little House books (who am I kidding? I just love books! LOL)

We went to the Outer Banks for the week, and on the 4th we took the Ferry to Okracoke (sp) Island, had ice cream, and then took the ferry back to Hatteras. As we were leaving Okracoke, the Hatteras fireworks started going off, and they ended about 2/3 of the way back, but so many people we doing their own fireworks that we had them all the way back to the house we were staying it. It worked out really well for us because we could see almost all of it, but we couldn't hear them. Joyjoy hates loud noises but loves the lights, so she had a ball, and the boys enjoyed the ferry ride. I tried to not get seasick. lol

melaniev

we went camping at the beach! it was a 1st for all and very exciting. we even survived 1 long night of baby puking. :( If I knew that was going to happen i surely would've stayed home, but we managed.

Michi

Jenny,
Your photos are so pretty! ( They make me very 'homesick' for the ocean.:( - I lived in San Diego for 3 wonderful years, and I miss the water SO much!) It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time!

I love the Little House books, too ( although its funny, I didn't remember the first one being so much about food!)
My DD wants to buy the Little House cookbook, but if the recipes are anything like what they ate in the 'big woods'
I'm going to have to say 'pass!':p

Michi

I lived in San Diego from '95 - '98
My DH and I moved there three days after our wedding and we lived there until my DD was 9 mos old. ( I cry every time I see anything with SanDiego on TV or in a movie. I miss it SOOOOO much!) I wish we had bought a house when we were out there, because now there is no way we can afford to move back. :(

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh wow ... I lived in the "Inland Empire" area from 97-99 & we used to travel down to SD all the time to visit my sister's college friends :) It is a beautiful area & we were looking at living there, but housing was expensive :eek:

Michi

Yes, housing is outrageous out there. The sad thing is, if we had bought when we first moved out ther we could have afforded a pretty nice house, but we were young and had 'cold feet' about buying, and so we waited. Housing prices skyrocked and now we couldn't even afford a shack, much less a home big enough for our 4 kids! If the bubble ever bursts...we'd go back in a heartbeat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC