Rear facing seat in the Center??

Pepse

We have a Ford Explorer and have had the safe seat outboard, pssn side.

i now have the Radian and am meeting with the new local tech tomorrow to see if i can follow the directions from another poster of a more upright install

This morning , we had a layer of snow on the truck and when i opened the door, the snow fell into the seat.

So then it got me thinking, would the seat be better in the middle #1 for the room, #2 for the snow but is it hard to get them in and out

DD is 15 months, 27lbs and rear facing. Im about 5'4

Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm 5'1" and Piper rode rear facing in her Wizard in the middle of my Xterra. It wasn't hard to put her in. I don't remember ever thinking I needed her outboard. I can't recall any issues getting her in, though I know sometimes I climbed onto the backseat with her.

Pretty soon he'll be big enough to start crawling up into his seat himself.

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I hated the Radian RF in the center, just because without the front seat to brace the Radian, it would get more and more reclined until it was over-reclined.

G8r4evr

My daughter is RF in a SS1 in the middle of our 06 Jetta. It is difficult to get her out (not so much in) mainly it hurts my back and I am always worried I am going to bonk her head on the roof of the car. But I do feel safer with her in the middle, so that is where she will stay. =)

Last edited:

Pixels

I find the bucket seats are difficult to get in and out when they are center. But if the seat is in the vehicle already (like with a convertible), just sit down on the outboard seat, and buckle. It's easier than bending over to buckle when baby/child is outboard.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I hated the Radian RF in the center, just because without the front seat to brace the Radian, it would get more and more reclined until it was over-reclined.

If it was doing that, it wasn't really a great install, was it?

My Radian does not touch our front seat, and is RF tethered forcibly, and never reclines more...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
If it was doing that, it wasn't really a great install, was it?

My Radian does not touch our front seat, and is RF tethered forcibly, and never reclines more...

The install was fine. Rock solid. My van seats compressed over time, with DD's weight.

Pepse

I find the bucket seats are difficult to get in and out when they are center. But if the seat is in the vehicle already (like with a convertible), just sit down on the outboard seat, and buckle. It's easier than bending over to buckle when baby/child is outboard.

That is why i orginally moved the bucket to the outboard, easier,

As for the convertable, in an SUV, you don't have to bend over, it is at your height.

Maybe with teh cold weather here, it would probably be better as i can climb in and shut the door and keep the truck warm

U

Unregistered

My DD 17mo sits in the middle in Boulevard. We have Jeep Grand Cherokee. I actually like the middle position for several reasons:

1) on side crash the car won't come as close as if it would hit the side my DD would be sitting
2) it is more room to install RF seat and I we can keep both the front seats as far behind we prefer (more comfortable for me and my husband)
3) when it is cold or raining it is nice sit inside the car (door closed) when you are undressing your child from the bulky jackets and putting them to carseat
4) if we have two extra people in our car they both have still enough space to sit on the sides as the seat only takes small space from each side
5) I can reach her from front passenger seat so during long trips it is easy for me to give DD snacks while DH is driving

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC