Parking lot story!

NotJUSTamom

Brooklyn had a half day at Kindergarten today and we were walking to our car with her friend and her Mom because Lili (Brooks friend) had something that she wanted to show her in the car. We get to thier mini-van and theres not even a backless booster in sight. Brook bless her little heart says, "Lili, where is your car seat?" Lili replies saying " What, car seats are for babies!" Rather stunned Brooklyn doesn't say anything. I jumped in saying Oh, no there not they are state law until 4'9 (kindof more directing it at the mom rather then Lili). Then Lili's mom said "Well I know it's not legal but, she's been out of the car seat since 26 months, she never liked them and I figured since she screamed and had tantrums all the time she'd be safer in the seatbelt!":eek: I was completley stunned. How they never got caught..I don't know! I just had to give my speech because Lili is a tiny bit smaller than Brook (Brook's on the smaller side) and Lili's mom is very caring and a fantastic parent (who actually was interested in what I had to say). So, after my speech (told her about Kyle David Miller etc and I had Lexi with me and showed her how she was still RF) she had tears in her eyes thinking about what could happen to Lili in an accident! She had no idea how serious a car seat was! I offerd to show her what type of seat whould be best for Lili and she followed me to target and bought a GN! :love: Now, what's even better is Lili wasn't thrilled about the new car seat, but her Mom is making her sit in it! I am on top of the world rightnow because I potentially saved this little girls life and educated her Mom who now knows how important car seats are!!:)

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
WOW. Not how I was expecting that story to turn out! Congratulations. It's so nice to hear of the happy ones now and then! Thank goodness you said something. :)

Wendy

mish

That is great that you told her everything and helped her pick out a seat! I cannot believe she hadn't been in a seat since she was 2. Actually, I can believe it because I know someone like that.

Jackielyn

that's an awesome story! i see so much misuse around here it drives me nuts! it's always nice to see a happy ending :)

Mommy0608

That's a great story! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that. It's nice to hear the happy stories now and then. :love:

NotJUSTamom

that's an awesome story! i see so much misuse around here it drives me nuts! it's always nice to see a happy ending :)

Drives me nuts too! Espically at the gas station when you cant help but stare into peoples cars lol. Yesterday I saw a child (looked about 3) in a Scerena installed the recline mode for RF installed FF. Twisted straps, belly clip, and everything. Then at the bank I saw an older toddler in a backless booster with a lap only belt! Unfortunately I don't usually say anything to people unless I know them because ya never know what they might do! :( :thumbsdown:

That is awseome! You Rock!!! It is a good week. I just got our pilot friend to get a GN for his 2 1/2 year old... I love that the graco nautilus came out and it is affordable to parents now!

Way to go! :)

NotJUSTamom

That is awseome! You Rock!!! It is a good week. I just got our pilot friend to get a GN for his 2 1/2 year old... I love that the graco nautilus came out and it is affordable to parents now!

Way to go! :)

I know, I LOVE the GN now. I wasn't all that into Graco before, but its a FANTASTIC seat to recommend to people! Not all that expensive, safe, works for almost every age, plus it looks cool too!
:)

PixieEMT

Wow , simply wow! I was holding my breath for a minute thinking the mom would just have an excuse like "I'm a good driver" or "I never used a car seat."

That's awesome.:thumbsup:

minismom

Oh please please elaborate!!! Tell us how you started it, after she said she hadn't used a car seat since 26mo. I think it's awesome you convinced her but I really wanna know how you even started. I think I would have been paralyzed in shock....
Good job!

NotJUSTamom

Oh please please elaborate!!! Tell us how you started it, after she said she hadn't used a car seat since 26mo. I think it's awesome you convinced her but I really wanna know how you even started. I think I would have been paralyzed in shock....
Good job!

OK, sorry it took me a while to get back, Kennedy got sick and I had to take her to the doc's and that threw off my entire day! Anyway, Lili's mom and I (Jenn) are friends now because the girls always want to have play dates ( I somehow never found out that Lili didnt even use a booster :eek:) but, because we are friends it wasn't very awkward. It was more of a friend to friend type thing. When she said that Lil hasnt used a car seat since 26mo (after I got over the intial shock) I said Jenn, youv'e got to be kidding me thats so dangerous, do you know what could happen to her??!!! Then I started with submarining(SP??LOL) through the seatbelt and that the seatbelt can cause fatial injuries on kids because it doesn't fit them the right way etc etc the whole thing..When she said ''Oh my gosh I had no idea!" I then took her to my car and showed her my seats and even told her about ERF with Lexi. She was really interested and I said, a great seat for Lili would be the Graco Nautilis, she can stay in the harness until 65 lbs (for the best protection) and then use a booster until shes 4'9 and/or passes the 5-step test (oh yea I showed her that too and how Lili didn't pass) Then, I even installed it for her in her van for her! What a good friend I am :) Oh, and when she followed me to target I made Lili ride with me in one of my extra seats!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC