Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

help! conversion van (?) and carseat

We'll be traveling to Seattle in a week and a half to visit family. My aunt and uncle, who we are staying with, have what I think is called a conversion van. Kind of like a small rv. Anyway the seats with seat belts are the drivers, passengers and 2 others. The 2 others sit so that you are riding facing the rear of the vehicle. Where is the best place to put the carseat.

(oh and renting another vehicle isn't an option for us, DH and I are both too young and don't have the extra $. The only reason we're able to go is that the plane tickets are a gift from my side of the family).

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: help! conversion van (?) and carseat

Carseats can't be installed on a rearfacing seat.

Is the carseat going to be used rear facing or forward facing? If it is forward facing, then you can install it in the front passenger seat without worry. You just want to move the vehicle seat as far back as it goes.

If it is rear facing, then it will depend on the year of the van and whether or not it has airbags. A rear facing carseat can't be installed in front of an airbag.

Are there any other family members who live there that can trade vehicles or at least be the ones to transport your family when necessary?
    Daycaremomma to 12 Kiddos ages 9,8,6,6,5,4,4,4,2,2,1,1
    Momma to 2 Kiddos ages 18and 20

Unregistered

Their the only family up there, and the it's only vehicle that they currently have. (they are retired and travel between their family and the home they keep in Seattle).

My son will be one of the 20th, while we are traveling. But we plan of Extended rear-facing him. I'll have to ask her when I call to work on food plans what year it is but I believe it's fairly new and would have airbags.

CPS Technician

Can we get some more info? How old is your son, how much does he weigh, and what carseat will he be using on this trip? Thanks !

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

If your son is rear-facing and the van has airbags that cannot be manually disabled, there isn't a way to safely transport your son in the van.

A word of caution: the front passenger seat might have airbag SENSORS, but those are not fool-proof, and the vehicle's manual (and likely stickers on the visor) will tell you not to install a RF car seat there, regardless of what the sensor says.

Your only option would be to turn your son forward-facing, which would be violating manufacturer instructions and possibly breaking state law if done before he's a year old (and 20 lbs). Even after he's 1, he's still far safer RF, as you know. Given the circumstances, that might be your only option, though I certainly can't recommend it.

Slightly off-topic, but will your aunt and uncle both be in the car with you, your DH, and DS? Because it sounds like there are only four seatbelts, and that would be five people.

Unregistered

My son will be one on the 20th, two days before we fly home. But we are extended rear facing him in his Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 until he's hit the limits for it (35 pounds).

And the seat belt thing, my aunt is one of those that unfortunately doesn't think she "needs" a seat belt. She also can't see why Micah has to ride rear facing. We're trying to see if we can take some money out of savings to rent a car somehow.

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son will be one on the 20th, two days before we fly home. But we are extended rear facing him in his Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 until he's hit the limits for it (35 pounds).

And the seat belt thing, my aunt is one of those that unfortunately doesn't think she "needs" a seat belt. She also can't see why Micah has to ride rear facing. We're trying to see if we can take some money out of savings to rent a car somehow.
    I would find a way to rent a car if there will be an unrestrained person in the vehicle. It's just not worth the risk of having her injure your child be being thrown into him.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~