Just curious: why the Nauti over the Frontier?

rodentranger

Is it's better to harness as long as possible, why is the Nauti with the 65 lb harness limit recommended over the Frontier with the 80 lb limit so often?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Because they have the same top harness height (actually, the Nautilus is a bit taller), and kids usually outgrow seats by height before weight. Therefore, kids will outgrow them around the same time, and most won't make it anywhere near 80 lbs in the Frontier.

Also, the Nautilus is considerably less expensive, which is another reason it's recommended more often, usually to people on a budget. It also turns into a backless booster, although I think that's more of an afterthought for most people.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Also, the Nautilus is considerably less expensive, which is another reason it's recommended more often, usually to people on a budget.

I agree that this is a big reason that the Nautilus is recommended. Take me, for instance. No way could I have justified buying a $300 harnessed seat for my 7YO. But a $140 seat that does just about the same thing? Not such a problem! :thumbsup:

Evolily

The frontier wouldn't have been an option price wise, but the nautilus was doable. Chris got it around 3 1/2, and will probably last harnessed in it until 5 or 6 (he's tall!) and then will be able to have a fullback booster until he's 9 1/2... at which point if he still needs to be boosted he should be ready for a no back booster.

Really, the frontier would have almost been overkill, and we really need that extra 1/2 inch or so of torso height (that could be 6 months or more of harness time!). Plus the frontier doesn't have cup holders :whistle:.

abacus2

Because very, very few children will hit 65lbs in either seat before outgrowing the harness in both seats by height. My dd, who is off the charts heavy, did manage to outgrow the Nautilus by weight, but with maybe 1/2" torso height growing room. With the slightly lower top slots on the Frontier, I'm sure she came very, very close to outgrowing both seats at the same time. I think an average kid outgrows both seats by height around age 6 and hits 65lbs closer to age 8.

Qarin

I think an average kid outgrows both seats by height around age 6 and hits 65lbs closer to age 8.

6 years old is really pretty pessimistic- My 7yo DD is the height of a 50th percentile nearly 6 year old, and is just getting to "at" the second to top slots on her Nautilus, which leaves her about 2" of torso height growth time.

essnce629

I have the Frontier, but I still recommend the Nautilus to "regular" people due to it's price and easy installation. I love my Frontier, but I think it would be too tricky for the average non-carseat-expert to install.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I also think that the Nautilus will harness most kids past 6 -- my overall-short-but-relatively-long-torsoed 6y7m daughter is even with the second set of slots from the top.

And I agree with everyone else that the higher harness limit is fairly irrelevant; plus, a booster is a safe and appropriate choice for a physically and developmentally typical 7yo child and many families can't spend the extra $150 on the off chance that a child may spend an extra few months harnessed at that point.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I recommend the GN more often because it's easier to install...but I prefer the Frontier for the extra width and seat depth and crotch depth and it seems to fit better as a booster (from the couple of pictures I've seen, most people aren't using either as a booster yet on this board for a huge great comparison).
It's (the Frontier) just a wicked pain in the behind to install properly and costs a fortune :rolleyes:

rodentranger

So the seat measurements on elitecarseats.com are incorrect? It says there that the Frontier is the taller of the two with a slightly higher top slot. Good to know.
I was just curious.

4boysmom

My son who turned 7 the end of Sept is just about the perfect car seat dummy for the nautilus. He is right at, perhaps above, we pulled him out of the seat and into a Regent as he is not ready to booster full time, the top slots of the Nauti and he weighs about 64 pounds! I can't see any kiddo getting to 80 pounds in a frontier.

misskerri

Don't know about the Frontier, but I can tell you that the install on our Nautilus is the best, tightest install I've ever seen on one of our carseats. That thing does.not.move. Not even a fraction of an inch. So apparently, install really IS easy. My husband didn't complain about it or anything. :)

njkj

We have had both and i got the Frontier because of the crotch depth. My son is 3 1/2 and was already sitting on the crotch strap which is not allowed. Granted his is stocky though and I know this is not a problem for everyone. Other than that if the GN had more crotch room and I had to do it all over again it would be hard for me to decide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC