3rd row on SUV's

Kellyr2

While I'm thinking about aftermarket 3rd rows, I also remembered that I'd like to check into the actual safety of the fold down 3rd rows in many other SUVs. Where would I find that info - specifically about the Toyota Highlander? Can carseats be installed in them? Are boosters safe on them? From what I've found online so far, the 3rd row does not have latch or top tether anchors. The kids only ride in this vehicle occasionally, but the last time, MIL did put DS in the 3rd row (unboostered and in fact, unbuckled), so I want to get some info on it.

Also - is it possible to read owners manuals online? The two specific ones I'd love to see are the Toyota Highlander (2005, I assume, because I read that they didn't start adding the 3rd row until then, and I know she has it...) and a Chevy Tahoe, I think 1997, but i'm not sure.

Last edited:
ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
With factory seats, you at least know that the vehicle is crash tested with the factory design of both the seat and seatbelt systems. The engineers presumably also integrated everything in the design, unlike an aftermarket model that is essentially stuck into available space. Still no guarantee of safety, but a lot better than the "nothing" you'd have with an aftermarket design.

Most 3rd row seats are fine for kids. The lack of LATCH and especially top tethers may be in issue for front facing carseats. On the other hand, you'd still be OK for rear-facing seats, boosters and older kids. Of course, you do need to verify this in the owner's manuals since there can be exceptions. I'm not sure that you can find them online. You'd have to check one at a dealer or maybe visit a forum for a particular vehicle and ask an owner to verify the information you need from their manual.

Overall, the 2005 Highlander is a good choice. Stability control is standard, but you should try to find one with the optional side curtain airbags. The same is true of 2004 models. I'd have no problems with older kids or those in boosters being in the third row. The third row is also quite small, though, so it could be a hassle getting smaller kids in and out of a harnessed carseat if you do get it installed well.

Also:

http://www.suvsafety.info

Kellyr2

It's my MIL's, so I can just check the owners manual next time we're there. We live out of state, but do sometimes take the kids down there for a few days and leave them, and even when we're just there visiting, they wind up riding with her some. I never worried about it before, but last time we were home, she had the kids and took them to McDonalds and then my sister in law met her there and then she (MIL) wound up taking all 4 kids home with her - and put the 4 yr old grandkid in the booster, leaving my 5 yr old with nothing. SO.... in the future, I'll either install BOTH of my kids' harnessed seats in her 2nd row or make sure to give her our spare booster so that if she picks up extra kids along the way, they'll all be protected. (confusing, I know! LOL)

Point is... if you say the 3rd row is safe for boosters, I believe you, so i'm not terribly stressed. The 3rd rows just always seemed less safe - I guess because they're smaller, I don't know.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, I prefer to use harness carseats in the 3rd row just because they do seem too narrow to me & there's less forward movement with a harness ... but, still, according to the manual the 3rd row is safe so it's not an issue I freak out about :rolleyes: Also, I prefer to have boostered kids closer to keep a better eye on them & make a more impressive impact about sitting still properly ;) So long as all passengers are in seats that fit them & the seats fit the vehicle, all according to both carseat & vehicle manuals then everything is OK :cool:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just as a side note, harnessed carseats don't necessarily reduce forward movement or head excursion any better than other types of restraints. In fact, backless boosters can show some of the best of these numbers in testing. Harnessed seats do have the important advantage of keeping them sitting properly, of course, not to mention the side impact advantages.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC